What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dolphins

uuem

Juniors
OK I know the official stand by WTs that they will oppose the granting of a licence to a 16th team .
This origanally was my stance as well , but over the last couple of months I have weakend and would welcome the Gold Coast team with open arms if only for my own selfish reasons , that being as you people disagree with the breakdown of where home games are played I havent seen MY team play since there last game at Seagulls now that was just too long ago .
Secondly the argument that the club uses is that they were forced to merge or or not be invited to partisipate in the revamped comp , now that if you look at the facts this is crap Balmain (who I follow) would have existed with out being competitive for a couple of years at best before disappearing owing millions . Wests on the other hand did not reach the criteria and would not have been able to compete as a 1st grade iddentity in the ARL . Now please dont feel that this is a Wests v Balmain thing as Wests were always my 2nd team and I was over the moon when they became the WTs .
These are only my opinions and are very selfish I know but Gold Coast would never replace WTs as the team I support they would take the place of my 2nd favourite team who I dont have anymore .
What I would like to know is the feeling of the people who watch the mighty WTs week in week out would they accept the 16th franchise or oppose it .

magpiemax

Juniors
Why should a foundation club have to be sacrificed for the sake of the Chargers/Sea gulls/Dolphins or what ever they have called themselves. :roll:

I certainly won't be welcoming them with an open arm, unless it is a Danny Williams style open arm. #-o

King Tigerman

Juniors
gold coast should get a licence ahead of central coast

also 15 teams is a joke we add 1 more team it will add stability to the draw

gr8_1

Juniors
I dont support the introduction of new teams into the competition.

There isnt enough quality players at the moment for 15 teams so how will 16 work. Look at this years competition. Same 4-5 teams every year that can win the competition.

I would however support the relocation of a team to either the Gold Coast or Central Coast.

Tigerpete

Juniors
In all honesty the team needs to be based in Gosford, they are crying out for a side and damn they've got a nursery of talent out there. There are good arguements for each of the bids but for the CC has to win it.

Stellar

Juniors
personally i think that there is too many teams in NSW, souths could be moved to gosford and give the new franchise to gold coast. most people will say that having teams in SA and WA wont work but the nrl really needs to look to be competing with AFL in every state but again, there isnt enough quality players in Australia to support 16 teams.

mightybears

Bench
jirskyr
you are a wise and learned soul
as the cc bears will be good for gosford/the central coast and the norths faithfull
[and if the new asa soccer team gets a go then league needs to make the fight]

King Tigerman

Juniors
& what will happen when we lose qld to the afl i heard from a contact up there if it wasnt for the new stadium rugby league would be dying the lions are taking over

also some1 in the afl must be in the know saying gold coast will get in because theyre planning on playing games at carrara

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I would actually welcome the Gold Coast team with open arms. The Seagulls/Giants/Chargers were always the team I'd cheer on besides Balmain, and I really like the area and the people and Queensland in general and would love another team up there if we can have one more. The threat of AFL is increasing in SE QLD and something needs to be done. I would also like a Sydney team to be rellocated to the Central Coast, but wouldn't want a CC team before a GC team.

BalmainMatt

Juniors
I too am selfish and would love to see a Gold Coast team so that I can get to another West Tigers clash up here. Was very tempted to make up a sign for the QRL clash on the weekend between the Tigers and Redcliffe Dolphins. Something along the lines of 'Go back to Carrera', 'Go Gold Coast Dolphins' - just to stir them up :D

Juniors
I don't think its the right timing for a new team. But I would like to see a team relocate to Brisbane. I think we need another Brisbane team before a Gold Coast team. But would Brisbane support a team that relocates? I don't know

Its tough because we have too many teams in Sydney but I don't want to see teams getting kicked out. I think Souths should move to Central Coast. They would get good support there. Sharks might be best to go to Brisbane?

innsaneink

Referee
gr8_1 said:
I dont support the introduction of new teams into the competition.

There isnt enough quality players at the moment for 15 teams so how will 16 work. Look at this years competition. Same 4-5 teams every year that can win the competition.

I would however support the relocation of a team to either the Gold Coast or Central Coast.

This has always been my point of view as well.....its one thing to say OK...hers a new team for your comp, but where the f**k do you automatically find a first grade squad from?
If there were other decent players out there somewhere running around dont you think the f**kin roosters would have em by now?

#4 said:
Its tough because we have too many teams in Sydney but I don't want to see teams getting kicked out. I think Souths should move to Central Coast. They would get good support there. Sharks might be best to go to Brisbane?

So just becoz there was all these teams in the comp originally, from Sydney....now theres too many so they should be booted or moved???

If we want an even number of teams in the comp just cut friggin Melb!
Nobody gives a crap bout them.

bonstonker

Juniors
there are not enough players and more importantly there are not enough refs either for only one extra game each week.

havent the gold coast already had 3 teams in and out of the arl, s.l why go there again ? i know there population is growing and it could be a good idea but how many chances do they want

Swampdonkey

Juniors
Melbourne is never going to work, at least not for a longggggggggggg time.

So take Melbourne from the competition and add both the Gold Coast and Central Coast.

How can the NRL justify keeping Melbourne where they are flat out getting a crowd of 10000 even though they have won a premiership and they have been consistently successful? I would be interested to know if there has been an increase in Melbourne's average crowd figures over the period they have been in the NRL, just to see if they are building up towards becoming a viable franchise, because I strongly doubt it!!!

On the other side of the coin, you have a population on the Central Coast which is continually growing and is sitting in excess of 300,000 people, of which the majority would follow league as opposed to AFL and Union, although without a team I am not sure how long that is going to last. They are also a short drive up the freeway for people from Sydney. They get their own team, then they will average 15,000+ and they would grow to be as competitive as the Knights have been over the years.

Then you have the Gold Coast....AFL are going to put a team in there soon and for good reason! South East QLD is growing at over 1000 people per week between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, we currently have a population of around 2 million, yet we have only 1 AFL side and 1 NRL side, do the math people we need another side and we need to get in there before the AFL......

You need to regroup and strengthen the current fan base before trying to take the game into enemy territory....

Trollhammaren

Juniors
zack del la rocha said:
havent the gold coast already had 3 teams in and out of the arl, s.l why go there again ? i know there population is growing and it could be a good idea but how many chances do they want

The Chargers were a strong team financially, and they had made the semi-finals in 1997, however, they were the sacrificial lamb of the ARL and Adelaide were for Super League to make the NRL.

Gobbso

Juniors
Agree with what Noyce has stated. Balmain and Western Suburbs lost and sacrificed 90 odd years of tradition and history, on the basis that the competition was only going to have 14 teams. The Joint-Venture embraced the return of South Sydney due to the fact they were a fellow foundation club and fought the good fight, but a 16th team? It just doesn't make it right for both club's.

I personally would love to see the Bears back also, but i'm putting my club first. Leave it how it is, unless you're going to bring back everyone (Which won't happen, unless Murdoch and News ltd. win lotto 10 times over, to help fund every team)

Latest posts