What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draft Proposal

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
While we are looking into different aspects of the FFBRL such as salaries etc.

How about we tweak the draft.

Heres a proposed way the draft would work.

Once the ratings/salaries have been announced and every team has selected their initial squad of 13, the free-agents form guide gets released.

The next monday (this can be changed) the draft begins. Draft hours should be agreed upon before the draft starts. I'd say 8.30am aussie time (10.30 NZT) unitl 9.30pm aussie time (11.30pm NZT). This obviously allows people to sleep. Those in other countries may need to discuss where they can fit in with these times and we can tweak it slightly. Ideally we'd go mutually NZ/Aussie but I'm sure we can be flexible for those elsewhere.

The draft order is from the bottom team from last year selecting first, second bottom gets next pick etc until everyone has had their first round picks. The second round starts with the bottom team again. So there is a set order, bottom team always gets the first pick of each round, second bottom gets second pick etc.

We did run it differently last year that the picks ran from bottom of the table to the top, then the next round top to bottom. So for example the top team got two picks in a row. The flaw I see with this, is the bottom team (the one who needs most assistance) only gets one pick (granted, first one) from the first 16 or however many teams we have. Personally, I think its a fairer to system for each round to follow the same sequence if that makes sense.

The 'on the clock' time, I can't quite remember it last year, but I'd look at a fairly low amount of time - say 2 hours - this keeps it going at quite a steady pace. If you miss your 2 hour time, then you can pick when you get online but note players picked in meantime will be already signed to a club and are unavailable for selection. If you miss your pick entirely in your cycle and it reaches you again, too bad - you miss that pick until the draft is complete.

I'd also suggest that we don't open the pool up at any stage. You either continue with draft of 29 players OR you use your salary all up. A way to make the draft go quicker in the later stages as our squads are nearly there, we can tweek the OTC time to ONE hour. Perhaps after say round 7 (which puts our squads to 20)

Open for feedback/thoughts.
Thought it'd be best to nail this down while the salaries are still being sorted so theres no delays.

Cheers guys,

HappyBadger

Juniors
Traditional, as opposed to serpentine, is ok by me...

...but looking at my clock, and my handy-dandy world clocks, the draft timing for me would be, shall I say, challenging?

For me, that's 1530 to 0330 - considering that I don't get home til at least 1830, and have to be in bed at 2300 at the very latest (that's weekdays, of course), VERY challenging...

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Traditional, as opposed to serpentine, is ok by me...

...but looking at my clock, and my handy-dandy world clocks, the draft timing for me would be, shall I say, challenging?

For me, that's 1530 to 0330 - considering that I don't get home til at least 1830, and have to be in bed at 2300 at the very latest (that's weekdays, of course), VERY challenging...

mmm tricky.
Dependant on how it pans out, perhaps if you check every day and let a neautral know your picks on your behalf, get them to post here? OR PM your picks through to one of the more active players to do your picks on your behalf?

Perhaps we need to address the time difference re-draft.

Another idea, way out there, is there is a bidding process ala VNRL, a certain time period and whoever offers player x the highest salary, gets him for the season? Although that could get tricky keeping tabs to who has the highest bidder on whom....

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm happy to go with a conventional draft order.

Set draft hours might be a bit rough on the overseas contingent (Badger, He Who Shall Not Be Named, and myself).

I think a time limit on picks will do. In the past, we've had quite a few people send me lists so that I can do a pick on their behalf if they're AWOL.

HappyBadger

Juniors
I'm happy to go with a conventional draft order.

Set draft hours might be a bit rough on the overseas contingent (Badger, He Who Shall Not Be Named, and myself).

I think a time limit on picks will do. In the past, we've had quite a few people send me lists so that I can do a pick on their behalf if they're AWOL.

I may chat with you on that last, Chris...

...and if the first day of the draft could be Saturday in Australia (that would make it Friday evening for me), that would give me two draft days where I could have a pretty good chance of getting in most of my draft choices my way, without help...

...and if that happened, a list option would be much easier to deal with for my remaining picks.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I may chat with you on that last, Chris...

...and if the first day of the draft could be Saturday in Australia (that would make it Friday evening for me), that would give me two draft days where I could have a pretty good chance of getting in most of my draft choices my way, without help...

...and if that happened, a list option would be much easier to deal with for my remaining picks.

So, starting a week from today?

Given the timeline on getting the salary cap established and people naming their retentions, that seems pretty logical.

Incidentally, I'll be busy on Friday night (PST), but I'll make some time to get my pick in. Boy's gotta hydrate.

mickyj

Bench
I think bottom to top for first 2 rounds then snake is best. Gives teams who need it a leg up in getting 2 of the top 20 players in draft.

Snake also speeds thing up as one person picks 2 and those before them know they will be up quickly.

Think salary cap will even things out also. In future keeps should be limited to half the cap. If you spend it on 8 players it will take you longer to fill side via draft etc.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Just to give you all a head up that I work FIFO - I fly up tomorrow and work 12 hours. 1 week days [6AM - 6PM] then 1 week nights [6PM - 6AM]. All WA times.

Night shift is generally pretty cruisey but day shift I might struggle with my draft selections.

Any idea when the draft will start? And how it will operate? A draft thread?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Just to give you all a head up that I work FIFO - I fly up tomorrow and work 12 hours. 1 week days [6AM - 6PM] then 1 week nights [6PM - 6AM]. All WA times.

Night shift is generally pretty cruisey but day shift I might struggle with my draft selections.

Any idea when the draft will start? And how it will operate? A draft thread?

Last year we had a draft thread.
Pretty much whoever was on updated as to who was 'OTC' (on the clock) after each selection.

I think Chris was wanting to get it underway this weekend, salary cap/salaries dependant obviously. Also needs teams to submit their 13 retained players as well.

Can't quite remember how long the period was between selections last year.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
As we are going into Salary cap situation, how do we figure out the salaries for rookies/those not yet in the player pool??

Latest posts