What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons' back three brace for bomb disposal work

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons' back three brace for bomb disposal work

By MITCH JENNINGS

He's earned plenty of time on highlight reels with his gravity-defying feats this year, but Dragons winger Brett Morris expects to be on the other side of an aerial bombardment against the Melbourne Storm on Monday night.
Storm halfback Cooper Cronk laid on two tries with pinpoint kicks to the wing of Sisa Waqa last week and promises to give the Dragons superstar back three of Morris, Josh Dugan and Jason Nightingale a torrid time at AAMI Park.
Morris, who will directly oppose Waqa, is prepared for the Storm to employ similar tactics to those that worked against the Titans.
"The halves these days ... their kicking games are pinpoint and I know Cooper does a fair bit of practice on his kicking game," Morris said.
"He's one of those guys that can land it wherever he wants.
"We saw the two tries they scored last weekend, so it's something that might be in the back of their minds and something I'll have to be wary of when I'm out there."
The Storm also boast the formidable left foot of Cameron Smith in their kicking arsenal and Morris said the Dragons' back three would need to be "on their toes" to nullify the Storm's kick-chase game.
"They've got a great kicking game. It's something they pride themselves on, a good kicking game and then they try to get down there and bash you up.
"It's something we've really got to work on as a back three ... trying to get the ball on the full and bring it back as far as we can."
The Storm's early season form has mirrored that of the Dragons with three straight wins to start the competition followed by consecutive defeats, including a loss on home soil to the Titans last week.
Morris expects to feel the brunt of a Storm backlash this week.
"We're expecting a pretty fired up Melbourne when we get down there on Monday night," Morris said.
"They'll be looking to get their season back on track as we are.
"Playing down there at their home ground ... they always grow an extra leg and they're always hard to beat."
Like the bulk of the Dragons side, Morris is still chasing his first win in Melbourne, where St George-Illawarra have not won a game since 1999.
Marquee man Gareth Widdop has tasted plenty of success at AAMI Park - albeit in Storm colours - and Morris is expecting the Dragons to benefit from his experience.
"Gareth's had a lot of success down there at Melbourne and it's going to help when we're up against those guys. He's going to have some inside info on them," Morris said.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ck-three-brace-for-bomb-disposal-work/?cs=302

gregstar

Referee
those 2 wins down there in '99 seem like yesterday in one sense but 100 years ago in another.

the friday night win when timmo had a blinder.

the semi when we took them apart on a rainy saturday arvo. blacklock scored a couple of crackers.

hardbaby

Coach
Not at all worried about an aerial attack. We defend that well. I am far more concerned about goal line defence and controlling the ruck. We go well against the lesser packs. We need to win it up front. Widdop and Dugan can rip in from there.

Highland Saint

Juniors
Tipping and odds are all against us. I'd love to see us continue shaking up expectations. Looking forward to seeing if Witt can unlock the potential of that right hand side again