What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons chase Puletua!

dragons74

Juniors
ST GEORGE Illawarra have put the annual player transfer merry-go-round in a spin by making a play for Panthers star Tony Puletua. One of the few clubs with room still left under their 2008 salary cap, the Dragons this week made inquiries about Puletua's desire to leave Penrith immediately.
Although the Kiwi international is contracted to the Panthers until the end of next season, he has not produced his best football at the foot of the mountains for some time.
The Dragons, meanwhile, are seeking a replacement player to fill their NRL squad following the retirement of back-up hooker Tony Caine last week.
Caine's decision to temporarily quit rugby league because of an ongoing leg injury has given the Dragons extra breathing space, although not nearly enough to cover Puletua's $400,000-a-year salary at Penrith.
Nevertheless, senior figures at St George Illawarra made an overture to Penrith officials in the hope of seeing Puletua in the Red V within the next few weeks.
With coach Nathan Brown battling to keep his job, the Dragons have already suffered a blow to their second-row stocks after it was confirmed Ben Creagh will miss up to six weeks because of a hamstring tear.
The Daily Telegraph understands the Dragons' approach was very low-key, and preliminary talks have not progressed far beyond the coaching ranks of both clubs.
A source close to the negotiations said: "An overture was made this week. I don't think too many people at either club know about it yet.''
Dragons CEO Peter Doust declined to comment when asked if the joint venture wanted Puletua on board. "I've got no comment to make on that,'' Doust said.
"We do have some space under the salary cap, but not a lot in the short term. We did have a player retire this week, but I'm not sure who would fit in at the moment. They are issues we need to look at and talk about. At this stage, it's head down a... up.''
Puletua was one of the victims of Penrith's 48-12 opening-round loss to Brisbane - dropped to the bench for tomorrow night's clash against Canberra.
<DIV class="group instory-dropzones">

Source: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23409595-5006066,00.html

murraymob

Coach
tony pulutua is not on $400k he is on between $280k and $3ook .I doubt he would get a release mid season but you would get one for next season.Pulutua still has a lot to offer but is a player that needs the challange of a new club to spark that fire he has

thommo4pm

Coach
I'm not overly interested in Puletua coming to us.
He is a very very lazy footballer.
We don't need blokes who miss soft tackles and go missing when the going gets tough.

I'd rather we were chasing a decent half back to be honest....I've given up on the hooker role.
Why on earth did we not make a play for George Gatis last year? :?

_Johnsy

Referee
we have money left, why did we let so many juniors go last year?

FMD DOUST you are a joke.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
i agree, why did we let so many great junoirs go, are we becoming the feeder club for all nrl clubs, the list is so long, doust your are bloody joke

Goldthorpe

Bench
I’m not too interested in Tony Puletua either. I think we are fine for back rowers [Ben Creagh, Beau Scott, Kirk Reynoldson, Chase Stanley etc]

Why over pay? $250k+ is definitely overpaying for Tony Puletua. We had about 3 or 4 standout games last season out of 22 games.

If we to get a Puletua, Frank would be the better choice. Under rated and very consistent.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
hey browny, why did the blonde stare at the orange juice bottle?

it said CONCENTRATE you did have long blonde hair didnt you LOL:lol:

Wobbygong

First Grade
Wake up Doust you fool this bloke is an overpaid nuffy who hasn't played consistent footy since 2003-2004 - no thanks.

Let's concentrate on what we DO actually need - ie a decent dummy half!

gregstar

Referee
just we need - ANOTHER lazy footballer who likes to look good without the hard yards.

he'll be captain within a fortnight of joining.

Dragooner

Bench
For a hooker...

What about James Roby for St Helens. I was watching some Super League on Fox Sports and he was vveeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy good. He was also player of the year over there and Anderson speaks VERY highly of him.

But I remember readng somewhere he's contracted to St Helens for 4 years or something???

Just throwing a name out there.

The man we should of kept was Ndaira, that kid will be pure class one day.

Doust makes we want to f*cking PUKE!

stg666

Juniors
what a lot of absolute crap are they who supposedly know better feeding us. why spend any money on a player that is surely in his latter years. i'm broke at the moment. may as well give it to me rather than t.pullatooaaa .

BPS

Juniors
This really proves to me that our clubs management is a major shambles! Not that I needed any proof.

We let some of the best up and coming forwards go and join Newcastle and Simms to the Broncs and then we realise we have made a mistake and want to sign one of the laziest forwards in the game after round 2?

It is utter madness! tell me, how many Props have we let go to keep that imposter Ryles?? We have a choice to keep Bailey one of the toughest, whole hearted and mobile props of the past 50 years and we let him go and keep Ryles.

This management HAS to go NOW

RedVDave

First Grade
gords said:
Why did you guys let Gorrel go. I always rated him highly.

Could not agree more Gorrell for Woolford with Ndaria comming off the bench as opposed to Caine or Ellis, I don't understand why we bought these guys when Gorrell was doing fine & Ndaira looks the goods over at Souths

Latest posts