What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons consider Stanley brothers’ reunion

RedVDave

First Grade
Dragons consider Stanley brothers’ reunion

KYLE Stanley has made an impassioned plea to bring his older brother Chase home as the Dragons explore the option of reuniting the Stanley brothers in the NRL.
With Kyle having secured his future at the club for three more seasons, St George Illawarra are looking at bringing Chase back to the club.
Chase is in the final year of a two-year contract at Melbourne Storm, having been released by the Dragons.
He is recuperating after undergoing surgery two weeks ago to fix an anterior cruciate ligament he tore in the first round.
Kyle, 20, said he would love nothing more than to play first grade alongside his older brother for the first time.
‘‘It would be good to play alongside him,’’ Kyle said.
"‘Playing with him would be a big buzz for us."
Kyle said the brothers had ‘‘definitely’’ spoken about playing in the NRL together.
‘‘Hopefully, we can play alongside each other,’’ Kyle said.
Kyle rejected more lucrative offers to commit long term to the Dragons.
Meantime, Kyle is focused on playing in his new role at dummy-half at the Dragons.
He has spent the bulk of his four matches this season at hooker, giving Nathan Fien a much-needed break during matches.
‘‘It’s a tough position,’’ Stanley said. ‘‘I’ve never played in the ruck before and now I know what the forwards go through. Your lungs hurt a bit more.
‘‘I’m a five-eighth but Sowie (Jamie Soward) has that position so I’m happy to play wherever.’’
With Darius Boyd likely to follow Wayne Bennett to the Knights next season, Stanley has his eye on cementing himself in the No. 1 jersey.
‘‘If Darbs goes that will be one of my choices,’’ Stanley said.
‘‘But you can’t replace a player like him.
‘‘If he does leave I’ll be getting pointers off him and watching him at games and seeing what he can do.
‘‘Hopefully, it rubs off on me.’’
Dragons skipper Ben Hornby (groin) is in doubt for the clash against South Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Monday night.
If Hornby is out, Fien would shift to halfback with Dean Young starting his first match of the year at hooker. Bennett has named an unchanged line-up against a desperate South Sydney side.

http://www.theleader.com.au/news/lo...onsider-stanley-brothers-reunion/2133257.aspx

_Johnsy

Referee
I think it would be good to get him back, if he can return to full fitness. Handy outisde back replacement, can play anywhere from 1-5

STG 002

First Grade
He used to fill in very ably for Cooper when he was injured and always did well to be honest but injury has always been his downfall. I'm sure had he stayed in the Hickman's era of injury rehab he would have flourished but i'd be just as concerned with him from next year.

ghostface

Juniors
Would love to have him back. A little injury prone but the potential is definitely there. Bellamy rates him highly wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around in Melbourne a little longer.

_snafu_

Immortal
I dunno, wasn't Chase abit of a flop from memory? where would be play????

He was young when he started in first grade. Also with all the injury problems we had in 2007, he was called on to play in many positions.

It was not the ideal introduction and it did not afford him the opportunity to develop properly.

Minh

First Grade
He was a handy centre that loved to chance his hand with the occasional flick pass which was great when it came off but frustrating when it didn't. Had big raps on him before he came into first grade several clubs were after his signature and the same can be said of Kyle except Kyle is generally regarded to be a greater talent than Chase.

Benny

First Grade
Chase Stanley was the most talented St.George Junior behind Mark Gasnier to come through the ranks in the 2000's. Ahead of Nightingale and the only one to have more talent since that time is his brother.

Be nice to add him to the team of St.George Juniors with K.Stanley, M.Gasnier and J.Nightingale - could also call C.King a half junior as he came through the St.George Junior Reps playing with Hurstville (played in the same side as K.Stanley, J.Leilua - who would be great to also get back and K.Gillies).

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Chase Stanley was the most talented St.George Junior behind Mark Gasnier to come through the ranks in the 2000's. Ahead of Nightingale and the only one to have more talent since that time is his brother.

Be nice to add him to the team of St.George Juniors with K.Stanley, M.Gasnier and J.Nightingale - could also call C.King a half junior as he came through the St.George Junior Reps playing with Hurstville (played in the same side as K.Stanley, J.Leilua - who would be great to also get back and K.Gillies).

Surely the Morris Twins were regarded highly as being talented in the 2000's. Especially Brett. Another guy that had huge raps for was B.Henry, Linnett and Whare from memory.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Not needed. He'd have to come dirt cheap. There's many other clubs he could make FG in so I don't see why he would come here.

Benny

First Grade
Surely the Morris Twins were regarded highly as being talented in the 2000's. Especially Brett. Another guy that had huge raps for was B.Henry, Linnett and Whare from memory.

St.George not Illawarra Juniors was my reference - all the players you listed bar Whare who wasn't considered as never game into First Grade in the 2000's were Illawarra Juniors.

Stanley was always more talented than Whare in any case, unfortunately Whare never recovered from his broken leg - in part mainly due to the bad management post injury.

Minh

First Grade
I remember a highly rated young Anthony Mundine, now he was an outstanding player for us pretty much single handedly got us into the 1996 GF against Manly, who were very similar to us now in the way they didn't let many tries in.

Jono1987

Juniors
Hmmm...I'd feel for Tagive if this were to happen. Tagive has been unlucky with injuries and bided his time. I'd love to see him get a couple of games this year. With Cooper looking likely to extend his contract by 1-2 years I'm not sure why C. Stanley would come back to play reggies though?

God-King Dean

Immortal
I remember a highly rated young Anthony Mundine, now he was an outstanding player for us pretty much single handedly got us into the 1996 GF against Manly, who were very similar to us now in the way they didn't let many tries in.

IIRC, they conceded only 191 points. Incredible.

bribieboy

Juniors
Kyle was funny at the QLD Supporters Club AGM. When asked "Hows your brother getting on with the Melborne problems of last season". Kyle just smiled and said "I dont talk to him anymore". Because he left the Dragons.