What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragon's Den: Peter Doust

tumbidragon

First Grade
lol @ Bennett not thinking J Moz would not be of 1st grade standard. Hindsight's a bitch! Very good interviews with great insight into Doust's decision making. Also great to hear they are looking at an extensive list of halve here and in the ESL.

Minh

First Grade
lol @ Bennett not thinking J Moz would not be of 1st grade standard. Hindsight's a bitch! Very good interviews with great insight into Doust's decision making. Also great to hear they are looking at an extensive list of halve here and in the ESL.

Just goes to show that even the great ones make mistakes, Dousty pointing it out was very candid, nice.

saints4ever

First Grade
To be fair to Bennett, at the time of his decision, jmoz had gasnier, cooper, sailor, nightingale and bmoz in front of him

tumbidragon

First Grade
To be fair to Bennett, at the time of his decision, jmoz had gasnier, cooper, sailor, nightingale and bmoz in front of him
Absolutely. And agree with his thinking at the time. Just had to chuckle that he thought he would not be up to standard though, as he was already showing glimpses of class with us. I remember him scoring a Hat-trick against the Dogz in 08'... Good times :)

I hope Mitch Rein signs with another club personally. I have noticed his service out of dummy half has been very sloppy of late, and he tackles very low (bootlaces at times) allowing the opposition forwards a quick play-the-ball while he struggles to get up off the ground and back onside. I also don't think the injury to King is any excuse. Sure, he may have to play more minutes but the best hookers in the game play 80 these days anyway.

It sounds as though he asking for a significant pay rise and I just don't think he is worth it when you consider we have King, Cook, Garvey, and even Matthews, as options for next year.

TheRev

Coach
These interviews are fantastic, I mentioned earlier in the year I felt like I didnt know Price or Doust, still dont know Price, but these are great insights into Doust.

One line I found interesting:
"We've reviewed the position of every 7 in the game.. overseas, in australia, from NYC, NSW Cup Up"

I believe this based on the broad range of players we have courted, but interesting that Doust said they didnt make a play for JT and only a brief chat with Carney, no offers.. so different to what you read in the papers huh!

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
Good series and great to hear his thoughts on a range of things. Even in the face of missing out on some big signings I always gave Doust credit for the "neither confirm nor deny" approach to recruitment. And in the first one he certainly wasn't blowing wind up Dugan's arse and told it like it was about the circumstances around the first offer and how disappointed they were in the way Dugan conducted himself.

Although his answer to the ASADA stuff was very measured "we are confident we comply" is very different to "nothing dodgy happened". Of course there is no way he can state categorically that nothing illegal or against policy happened so not trying to crucify the bloke. Just the sort of answer a politician would give.

When you really stop and think about it, our club has the most wonderfully squeaky clean image and I think Doust has a lot to do with it. I am not saying I agree with everything he does 100% of the time, but he has upheld the respect and dignity of this club wonderfully in his tenure as CEO.

dragonv

Juniors
When you really stop and think about it, our club has the most wonderfully squeaky clean image and I think Doust has a lot to do with it. I am not saying I agree with everything he does 100% of the time, but he has upheld the respect and dignity of this club wonderfully in his tenure as CEO.

Very good point. I'll give Doust that one.

TheRev

Coach
Also Doust tends to go for ex-dragons players which I like, I saw on Sterlo I think it was the Cowboys coach saying that they just managed to hold onto JT from a Penrith offer and Linnett from a Dragons offer.

redbreed

Juniors
I hope Mitch Rein signs with another club personally. I have noticed his service out of dummy half has been very sloppy of late, and he tackles very low (bootlaces at times) allowing the opposition forwards a quick play-the-ball while he struggles to get up off the ground and back onside. I also don't think the injury to King is any excuse. Sure, he may have to play more minutes but the best hookers in the game play 80 these days anyway.

It sounds as though he asking for a significant pay rise and I just don't think he is worth it when you consider we have King, Cook, Garvey, and even Matthews, as options for next year.

I also wouldn't be too upset if he signed elsewhere. Been watching him closely lately and I am of the opinion that this is probably the best that we will see of him. King seems to have more to offer and is still under contract so if rien wants a massive upgrade I don't think Dragons will come to the party

Yes, and I don't think the club image thing and Peter Doust's influence should be undervalued. I'm like you Lydda, I don't agree with everything he does, but to keep a sense of proportion and to be fair, he does MANY things really well. There are indeed many other aspects to club management, finances, marketing, sponsorship etc etc It's a tough gig.

And true we are so squeeky clean. Why, we are so clean - it's almost daggy. Think up until now, we have the fewest tatts in the league for example.

I feel a Doust appreciation thread coming on.