What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Fans, It's time to get serious, it's now or never

Simon

Juniors
All this talk about not turning up to games, not renewing memberships, hit them where it hurts in the pocket, really irks me. If you're not happy with what's going on by all means protest, send emails, make your point on social media, etc, but to want to hurt the club financially when we're already bleeding is the wrong approach.

If the club has no money there may be no team to support when change occurs. If you're not happy let the club know, but don't try to add to the problem by making our financial position even weaker and risk the clubs existence.

gregstar

Referee
simple.

cease game attendance.
cease leagues club attendance.

letters & protests will achieve jack sh*t because rugby league boards have entrenched themselves in place courtesy of a complete lack of awareness by fans of policies & statutes related to the club. the parasites regularly alter frameworks to protect themselves using obscure jargon & procedures.

sponsors hold greater power than we do - the team losing obviously affects this relationship because unless the sponsor is a devout fan, there is a basic business decision to be made & being attached to a losing product isn't business savvy.
you can accelerate this process by adding embarrassment to that product's relationship to the sponsor. you do this by simply ceasing game & leagues club attendance.

the nrl grants monies to the club which props it up. if you deny all extra funds - those within the upper echelons of the club know that they are then as good as f*cked.

Last edited:

GKJ79

Juniors
All this talk about not turning up to games, not renewing memberships, hit them where it hurts in the pocket, really irks me. If you're not happy with what's going on by all means protest, send emails, make your point on social media, etc, but to want to hurt the club financially when we're already bleeding is the wrong approach.

If the club has no money there may be no team to support when change occurs. If you're not happy let the club know, but don't try to add to the problem by making our financial position even weaker and risk the clubs existence.

Unfortunately simon, this is what happens when selfish people running the club treat the fans poorly, they are the ones that have mismanaged the finances, yet they expect us to keep supporting to prop them up, no matter what decisions they make, they are a f**kin joke, and can't expect fans to continue putting up with their shit, somethings got to give.

thebigredv

First Grade

Obviously you have missed the point. We have made it known. Doust has responded, the coach has responded with a big 'up yours' to us. Get with the program buddy.

RedVDave

First Grade
I fully support your idea GKJ79 a few suggestions would be

A) Make our rally on a day when the board are working i.e. on a game day or weekday I would assume would the most likely.

B) Create it on an actual event on Facebook then advertise it and share it on twitter, FB, the forum and if possible the newspapers, everywhere imaginable and be clear on the details explaining it wont cost anything to come you don't need to be any kind of leagues club member or even season ticket holder.

and

C) One final idea might be to do it on a Monday or Wednesday outside the leagues club because from memory they have poker nights there so it may create extra numbers as well as really pissing off the powers that be for disrupting one of their more marketable nights. Feel free to PM me if you wish and good luck the time for talk is over.

Old Timer

Coach

Simon
when the club buys 2 or 3 more rejects from other clubs whilst we lose promising juniors and then secure Doust and McGregors long term future will that hurt the fans and the last few good players we have left?

Doust and Co will do this without even blinking and eye or shedding a tear.

So how worried about the clubs future are they?

GKJ79

Juniors
I fully support your idea GKJ79 a few suggestions would be

A) Make our rally on a day when the board are working i.e. on a game day or weekday I would assume would the most likely.

B) Create it on an actual event on Facebook then advertise it and share it on twitter, FB, the forum and if possible the newspapers, everywhere imaginable and be clear on the details explaining it wont cost anything to come you don't need to be any kind of leagues club member or even season ticket holder.

and

C) One final idea might be to do it on a Monday or Wednesday outside the leagues club because from memory they have poker nights there so it may create extra numbers as well as really pissing off the powers that be for disrupting one of their more marketable nights. Feel free to PM me if you wish and good luck the time for talk is over.

RedVDave, this is exactly what we need, honestly i want to get enough fans to block the road, and stop the traffic outside the club, make a huge statement, i honestly believe we can at least force doust to flick mary, and let Demetriou take over as coach, c'mon everyone, lets go and protest and annoy the f**k out of Doust, we can make him crack.

John moz

Juniors
Unfortunately simon, this is what happens when selfish people running the club treat the fans poorly, they are the ones that have mismanaged the finances, yet they expect us to keep supporting to prop them up, no matter what decisions they make, they are a f**kin joke, and can't expect fans to continue putting up with their shit, somethings got to give.
100% mate.

GKJ79

Juniors
100% mate.

Yeah its f**ked isn't it John moz , yet people like, coast_dragons, and borat, are willing to attack me, call me a merkin, traitorous scum, plastic, yet they are happy with this? And I am the one trying to organise something, where the fans can show the club they shouldn't be treated like this, where are you coast_dragon, borat? Yeah i thought so, no where to be seen on this thread, happy to sit back, suck it up, and abuse me! Now thats what i call plastic.

jay mac

Juniors
Just my two cents, but...

If anyone is serious about getting traction, it may be worthwhile considering a united fans' letter to the chairman (I believe that is now Brian Johnston?). This could be a cover letter with an overview of the fans concerns, with individual, personal letters appended to the main letter. It would be prudent to provide a copy to media outlets.

Items to address could include:
  • Concerns over the RGRV strategy and the impact on the club's culture and loss of identity.
  • Concerns over club;'s on-field success this season, with particular emphasis on lack of point scoring ability (obvious).
  • What is the strategic direction of the club (both short and long term) outside "on-field" success?
  • What are the current management team's KPI's? Highlight concerns over apparent lack of accountability for key staff.
  • What were the findings of the 2015 yearly review, and why has this not been made publicly available? If no 2015 review was undertaken, why?

Sheridan Stand

Juniors

If anyone is serious about getting traction, it may be worthwhile considering a united fans' letter to the chairman (I believe that is now Brian Johnston?). This could be a cover letter with an overview of the fans concerns, with individual, personal letters appended to the main letter. It would be prudent to provide a copy to media outlets.

• Concerns over the RGRV strategy and the impact on the club's culture and loss of identity.
  • Concerns over club;'s on-field success this season, with particular emphasis on lack of point scoring ability (obvious).
  • What is the strategic direction of the club (both short and long term) outside "on-field" success?
  • What are the current management team's KPI's? Highlight concerns over apparent lack of accountability for key staff.
  • What were the findings of the 2015 yearly review, and why has this not been made publicly available? If no 2015 review was undertaken, why?

I agree with above post. Another huge issue for me is juniors - I supported the merger largely because of the Illawarra nursery. We now give our juniors away and buy other clubs trash. Ridiculous strategy. I would rather lose with young juniors trying like Newcastle than watching spineless trash from other clubs collect pay from our pockets. We after all pay the gate proceeds don't forget so we have the power of that revenue and media tv interests.

If we want to be taken serious we need to set up a campaign room. We need a strategy and a professional approach to show everyone we are serious about a revolution.

We need a leader and a campaign name. I like Save our Saints (SOS) or Saints In Crisis (SIC).

Revolutions are not easy but committed masses always win in the long run - French Revolution, American revolution, R2K.

GKJ79

Juniors

Jay mac,
Thanks for your input, letters have been sent, time, and, time again, the letters can't wear red and white, make banners, or be seen in the public eye, but, i think it would be a great idea for all the fans to, write down all of those points you made, and any other concerns, and im sure with a few hundred fans converging at the front of the leagues club, standing and shouting these, points, concerns, through a loud hailer, in public, with media there to film it, would certainly make more of a statement, honestly this is not hard to do, and im astounded that all of the people on here, couldn't be bothered, i will contact redvdave, as he is the only other person thats shown any interest, we will set a date, the rest is up to the fans, i will be there, and hopefully plenty if supporters are too, time to really show the club how upset we are.

Collateral

Coach
Why dont why try directing our energy lobbying the board to remove Doust and McGregor?

Doust might refuse to step down, but if I'm not mistaken, he answers to the board and they can terminate his contract whenever they see fit.

Old Timer

Coach
Anybody got any idea as to how many Dragons fans are actually registered in this forum?

If we are only but a few die hards then we need to couple up with other forms of communication twitter, Facebook etc.

It is a noble cause but as Duck showed in an earlier post 4 people with a banner at a bust stop in the rain will not cut it and will only serve to strengthen the administrations resolve to tough it out.

jay mac

Juniors
So, here's a couple of interesting facts:

Remember in '09 and '10 when we were destroying teams on a weekly basis? On average our points differential that season was +9.1 points per game, meaning that (including losses) we scored on average 9.1 points per game more than we conceded. Conversely, this season our points difference is -8.8 points per game, which is the worst in the nearly 18 seasons since the joint venture began playing.

But wait, it gets better. We have averaged less than 20 points per game scored in the past five seasons in a row. In that time, the average points scored across all games and all teams is 20.3 points per game (i.e. the average points scored by an NRL team in the past 5 seasons is 20.3 points per game). To provide further context, the only other time in the history of the JV that we did not score more than 20 PPG was the disastrous 2007 campaign, in which we won 1 from the first 7 and were in last place heading into Rd 16.

What's my point? Well, bear with me. The Bennett era brought about a defense-oriented culture. Clearly this worked with the personnel available to Bennett, as we frustrated (belted) oppositions into leaking points. Problem is, I get the feeling we still think that we are a defense-oriented team. But we're not; we're just a team that isn't very good at either defending or attacking. In fact, our defense has leaked more than 22 PPG for 3 of the past 4 seasons (last year was the exception).

It frustrates me to read comments by our coach and players that we were expected to finish bottom four by most rugby league commentators and that this should somehow be the yardstick by which we are measured. Considering the Eels debacle, we should actually be 12th and two of our victories were against an Origin-affected Cowboys and Storm. And the forecast for the next month is, well, stay indoors. It's gonna get ugly out there.

Is this really the level of mediocrity we should accept?

So my point is actually a hypothesis. I believe that the club's current predicament will manifest itself into the Dragons becoming one of the least supported football teams in the country in 20-30 years time, much the same way as the success of the 50's & 60's led to the Dragons being one of, if not, the most popular sporting franchise in the country. Sure changing demographics will play its part, as the aging/declining Baby Boomer population will impact many areas of society over the next couple of decades. As i mentioned in another thread, I'm a 2nd generation Saints fan (my parents are baby boomers) and i think a large proportion of our supporter base is due to this. But the big concern (and the thing the club can change) is that the style of football over the past 5 years and the sustained period without success are not attractive to the younger generation. Kids want to watch teams lead by JT, Barba and Milford score 40 points a game, not dire contests won 12-10. Add to that the loss of any real identity from the RGRV Strategy and i think there's a real problem for the club moving forward.

Anyway, I'm sure management has it under control. Stay calm and pay your membership.

Emu01

Juniors
I'm in for sure.I went to the last oust Doust protest and he read about the protest online and called the cops on us,when I arrived the cops told us we can't protest..

But I'm willing to give it another go,Doust is such a dictator we have to stand up to him.

Contact talking sport, they gave us support and mentioned on air a couple of times..

Let's get big numbers and the board will have to listen..Bring it on

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
A Saturday morning get together in front of the club after a bulldogs thumping might be a good idea. No excuses then about people having to go to work etc.