What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Head Of Recruitment

justadragon

Bench
o Its hard for us fans sitting here waiting, but these things could take weeks or months.. contracts and media management and exiting the dolphins... plus the relocation process.. and again hes still employed at that rival club.. that said the sooner the better for sure...

o Plus random has poured some cold water over our cook excitement.. doesnt sound as locked in as we imagined..
I understand the logistics of it REV, I dont want to know the finer details of his contract, I just want to know he has signed on for next year. Lets just put a few things into perspective here, How long did it take for Souths to announce Bennett was going to them next year ? I dont expect him to leave immediately and couldn't care less about his relocation, thats all on the club. I just want to know we either have him or not, time is a wasting on the player market, so unless we have many irons in the fire in the background here, 2025 is not looking like a good year. I just dont understand the stealth of this whilst we have many people running around saying he's going to the Dragons.

denis preston

First Grade
o Its hard for us fans sitting here waiting, but these things could take weeks or months.. contracts and media management and exiting the dolphins... plus the relocation process.. and again hes still employed at that rival club.. that said the sooner the better for sure...

o Plus random has poured some cold water over our cook excitement.. doesnt sound as locked in as we imagined..
But… you really can’t be a recruiter for one club whilst accepting a job offer from another , surely ? Any potential player signings would be saved for your new employer?

TheRev

First Grade
But… you really can’t be a recruiter for one club whilst accepting a job offer from another , surely ? Any potential player signings would be saved for your new employer?
Thats kind of my point.. does he have to give notice, is he under contract.. does he have to wait till the end of the year.. I dunno.. if its like a conventional job perhaps he gives 4 weeks notice and moves on... maybe hes giving the dolphins a chance to find/announce a replacement... but 100% its tricky when its a rival club he works for.

This assumes he is actually coming :p

justadragon

Bench
Whats the difference between Bennett going and POS going, yes you would have to remain loyal to your club until the end of your contract, but if a player became available that your current club would not be interested in, then there would be nothing wrong with pushing him to the future club if they could use him. I'm sure this situation has come up before.

Jim Dragons

Juniors
I like the idea of getting PO'S along with most here. He has a history of getting good players/people at the right price, who fit the requirements of the team structure. Anyone can jump at the next big thing and throw money at it... what we need is the right player - for instance... for a prop - we may have dodged a bullet not signing AFB. Sure he is the big body that we need but he has a history of being 'trouble' from time to time. What we need is a big body who bends the line and enforces a standard for what is the accepted performance amongst the pack. Sort of like a JWH - although maybe with a better judiciary record. I can live with our current triangles plus the youngsters coming thru (especially if we pick up junior PO'S, mixing with junior Flan to fill the " 6 & 14"). What the next R+RM needs to do is create a genuine pathway - not one we just talk about. We should not loose players like Bostock who we wanted to keep. Sure along the way you have to loose some - but you need to be able to say things like... "they weren't prepared to do the hard yards to pull on a Dragons jersey". You want to see their progress result in success... sort of like Zac but without the lost years between Freddy declaring him the "gifted one" and Flano telling him what he needed to hear to actually do it. Sure a lot of us will think we have lost Zac now... but there will be other juniors who saw what Zac did in SOO and recognise that Flano was the conduit that got him there. As for replacing Zac we have to trust in what we have coming through, along with Cory Allan and maybe a Cody Ramsey (god give him the strength to recapture what he had). And then pick up the available pieces along the way for Flano to build on the base we have formed thus far. Lets not loose site of the fact that the team we have are capable of achieving good performances - if they fight all the way in most games. We are at this moment level with the the highly fancied Broncs, Cowboys and Feather Dusters... but there is a long way to go this year for us to push past that riffraff ;-)

jak

Bench
I like the idea of getting PO'S along with most here. He has a history of getting good players/people at the right price, who fit the requirements of the team structure. Anyone can jump at the next big thing and throw money at it... what we need is the right player - for instance... for a prop - we may have dodged a bullet not signing AFB. Sure he is the big body that we need but he has a history of being 'trouble' from time to time. What we need is a big body who bends the line and enforces a standard for what is the accepted performance amongst the pack. Sort of like a JWH - although maybe with a better judiciary record. I can live with our current triangles plus the youngsters coming thru (especially if we pick up junior PO'S, mixing with junior Flan to fill the " 6 & 14"). What the next R+RM needs to do is create a genuine pathway - not one we just talk about. We should not loose players like Bostock who we wanted to keep. Sure along the way you have to loose some - but you need to be able to say things like... "they weren't prepared to do the hard yards to pull on a Dragons jersey". You want to see their progress result in success... sort of like Zac but without the lost years between Freddy declaring him the "gifted one" and Flano telling him what he needed to hear to actually do it. Sure a lot of us will think we have lost Zac now... but there will be other juniors who saw what Zac did in SOO and recognise that Flano was the conduit that got him there. As for replacing Zac we have to trust in what we have coming through, along with Cory Allan and maybe a Cody Ramsey (god give him the strength to recapture what he had). And then pick up the available pieces along the way for Flano to build on the base we have formed thus far. Lets not loose site of the fact that the team we have are capable of achieving good performances - if they fight all the way in most games. We are at this moment level with the the highly fancied Broncs, Cowboys and Feather Dusters... but there is a long way to go this year for us to push past that riffraff ;-)
great post mate

maestro1

Bench
Thats kind of my point.. does he have to give notice, is he under contract.. does he have to wait till the end of the year.. I dunno.. if its like a conventional job perhaps he gives 4 weeks notice and moves on... maybe hes giving the dolphins a chance to find/announce a replacement... but 100% its tricky when its a rival club he works for.

This assumes he is actually coming :p
He is still working for the Dolphins who are up to their eyeballs in season 2024. He recently signed Fineakufi from the Cowboys to the Dolphins, resigned Bostock and brought TPJ. I can't wait until we have official confirmation (if it is happening) but understand that he has current commitments.
The beauty of signing POS is twofold positive.......we would be getting the best there is whilst keeping Haran and Millward the fxck away from Retention/Recruitment/Development/Scouting. Those two should be unemployed from a Dragons perspective if we are to be serious about becoming a power club again.
Next step after that is to piss off any impotent board member who has thrived in a scenario of administrative under performance, Nepotism, cronyism and any other .....ism.

I noticed the government has green lighted the wind turbines for the Illawarra coastline. Regardless of where anyone sits with this politically, does this mean Twiggy is now tied to the Illawarra?

PS , I don't want to talk politics/environment as I treat this as purely a footy/RedV forum.

Dragon David

First Grade
If its true for ossulivan to take over the job after building the Dolphins up in 2 years.
And also Storm previously and Roosters .
Hopefully he signs by the weekend and it will be announced.
I think all media speculation
Caryannis confirmed today we have made him an offer, he hasnt accepted it yet though.. Dolphins keen to keep him also.
I would love for us to nab P O'S to be our Recruitment Guru. His appointment would make this club so much better off as far as keeping and getting players are concerned. He has a great eye for talent and is the guy who can thrash things out with Flanno to determine who we should keep and who we should go for and he can then do the rest.

Not much is coming through the media or the club to strengthen the link with O'S to the Dragons. As Maestro1 has said, he is still working for the Dolphins who are presently up to their eyeballs in 2024 and doing quite well. He most probably is trying to finalise a few signings for 2025 after the other stuff that Maestro1 has mentioned.

He also could be giving a lot of thought as to which club he will be with - either stay at the Dolphins, go to Souths or go to the Dragons. Big decisions to be made and the outcome will depend on who can win him over.

Signed with knights
This is why over the years I have become very hesitant to believe so many headlines about the NRL.
All the journalists say he is staying with the Dolphins, joining the Dragons or following Bennett to the Rabbits.
No mention that I saw of Newcastle since this story broke a while back.
Same thing with Damien Cook.
I will not believe any signing news until the 10 day cooling off period ends and I see it in black and white on the Dragon's website.

Latest posts