What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons In No Hurry To Sign Mary

possm

Coach
Look I'm interested in a better coach than Mary; have been for a long time. Madge has form, his team won a GF. If another top line coach came along, I would most probably support that person. I'm not stuck on Madge, just heard this in a discussion with a few keen Dragon fans - mates. No fantasy of mine at all; just fingers crossed, hope to die stuff.

Life's Good

Coach
Look I'm interested in a better coach than Mary; have been for a long time. Madge has form, his team won a GF. If another top line coach came along, I would most probably support that person. I'm not stuck on Madge, just heard this in a discussion with a few keen Dragon fans - mates. No fantasy of mine at all; just fingers crossed, hope to die stuff.
Madge is not the answer. Souths last made the semis in 2015. They finished below us in 2016 with an arguably better playing group. His history on player welfare is questionable(Grevsmuhl leaving, Inglis knee etc.). His team playing style hasn't changed. Spend some time in the Bunnies forum & see what they say about him. I know he won a comp but so did Michael Hagan.
I wasn't keen on Mary staying on but he has turned things around. Face facts-there is no immediately available alternative who is an upgrade on what Mary is doing.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Madge is a short term wonder. He is poor at staff recruitment and relies heavily on Sam Burgess, Greg Inglis and Adam Reynolds. I would not have him within cooee of the place as the current players would ask for releases. The only coaches that I would consider would be Bellamy, Robinson or Tony Smith. I am happy to stick with the current coaching structure.

possm

Coach
I'm afraid that if Madge is the only alternative, he'll be the coach. You know he did put together an awesome pack of forwards and some great backs to win a GF. Yes things have gone sour but I thnk it more to do with club politics.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Robinson NO. He won one GF with a team bought by his mate Uncle Nick. 3 minor premierships with no other sliver wear in the cupboard. He is an imposter of a coach.

Ted bartolo

Juniors
Madge and Robinson lack people management skills. I don't know how long browny got at Newcastle; hated him when he coached the dragons.But I think he has served his apprenticeship in England and think dragons could win a comp with him as coach.

possm

Coach
Madge and Robinson lack people management skills. I don't know how long browny got at Newcastle; hated him when he coached the dragons.But I think he has served his apprenticeship in England and think dragons could win a comp with him as coach.
Madge is the only decent coach who may be available at season's end. The Dragons would be mad to appoint Mary over Madge.

possm

Coach
who cares about madge look how souffs are going. Lol@souffs
And who cares about Mary. He had over 3 years to ditch his stupid game plans and listen to his leadership group. He also had plenty of time to realize Benji, Rein and Marketo were not the answer. He is a one dimensional person who lacks the ability to learn from mistakes and is unable to think ahead. A good top line coach will see the Dragons win the GF in 2018.

mickeylane

Bench
Madge is a short term wonder. He is poor at staff recruitment and relies heavily on Sam Burgess, Greg Inglis and Adam Reynolds. I would not have him within cooee of the place as the current players would ask for releases. The only coaches that I would consider would be Bellamy, Robinson or Tony Smith. I am happy to stick with the current coaching structure.
Made is a prick!! I know 2 of the first grade players very well and they don't like him! He's already had 4 players walkout on him on the past 18 months.. He has terrible man to man skills ..
KEARY
Greuvsmuhl
Walker
Gray

mickeylane

Bench
Possm
Madge is the only decent coach who may be available at season's end. The Dragons would be mad to appoint Mary over Madge.
possm the players have bought Into Mcgregors philosophy which is a basic one of
"One in all in" ie let's be a collective rather than a team of 2-3 individuals - apparently some of the players have gone on on record to say the respect for Mcgregror has grown 10 fold this year - little things like him also completing the same training drills as his players and competing like them on the training paddock - I mean this is a very different tact and one that is obviously resonating w this group of players .. The team and Mcgregor are as one it's quite clear there a strong collective - I think a 2 year contract will allow Mcgregor the opportunity to achieve the goal of winning a premiership - that's a total of 5 yea in charge to deliver a premiership.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am no longer in the Sack Mary brigade that is for sure. He stated before kickoff that he has learnt a lot from last season and he has shown that he has. The brand of footy we are playing is pretty good. We finally have a good footy side that is playing great footy so there should be no doom or gloom just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The body language of the players, the way they celebrate the tries, it is a very happy camp and best of all they are all playing for each other and making themselves accountable. You cannot ask for more.

Widdop, McCrone and Lafai who I was convinced were not to NRL standard or have lost complete confidence in their ability are really playing brilliant footy at the moment. That is a credit to the coaching staff. Vaughn and McInness not wanted and are now spoken about as rep players. People thought Saints would struggle without Duges when in fact they have not skipped a beat at all.

I honestly think 1 of Saints priorities to sign is Mann. Mann will make a good fullback and can slot into any position from 1-7. I would pick him ahead of McDonald when Duges comes back.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Possm

"One in all in" ie let's be a collective rather than a team of 2-3 individuals - apparently some of the players have gone on on record to say the respect for Mcgregror has grown 10 fold this year - little things like him also completing the same training drills as his players and competing like them on the training paddock - I mean this is a very different tact and one that is obviously resonating w this group of players .. The team and Mcgregor are as one it's quite clear there a strong collective - I think a 2 year contract will allow Mcgregor the opportunity to achieve the goal of winning a premiership - that's a total of 5 yea in charge to deliver a premiership.

That's a massive turn around from the coach, didn't think Mary had it in him.

What a difference the team and coach on the same page makes. At the start of the season all I saw was long year ahead.

The club is first. Keep the momentum going, re-sign Mary.

possm

Coach
Possm

Much of what you say about the players now buying into the style of play is true. But it is my view that the players were fed up with the stubborn manner Mary adoppeded with is 'super attacking plan' that never worked and in the end no one believed in.

So my point is that years and games were wasted because of Mary's relentless pursuit of introducing the super attacking plan. He lost the boys until the leadership group had their say and were finally able to buy into the 'power play' plan.

You won't get any decent from the players, it's there way. Remember all players - except Soward - were backing price right up until he was punted.

FlameThrower

Bench
I am no longer in the Sack Mary brigade that is for sure. He stated before kickoff that he has learnt a lot from last season and he has shown that he has. The brand of footy we are playing is pretty good. We finally have a good footy side that is playing great footy so there should be no doom or gloom just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The body language of the players, the way they celebrate the tries, it is a very happy camp and best of all they are all playing for each other and making themselves accountable. You cannot ask for more.

Widdop, McCrone and Lafai who I was convinced were not to NRL standard or have lost complete confidence in their ability are really playing brilliant footy at the moment. That is a credit to the coaching staff. Vaughn and McInness not wanted and are now spoken about as rep players. People thought Saints would struggle without Duges when in fact they have not skipped a beat at all.

I honestly think 1 of Saints priorities to sign is Mann. Mann will make a good fullback and can slot into any position from 1-7. I would pick him ahead of McDonald when Duges comes back.
I don't know how many times this has to be stated but people still don't want to accept that this squad and coaching style are worlds away from 2015/2016! Forget this folly of another coach - Hasler and Cleary not coming and the longer we continue not only winning but playing with new found confidence,the most likely McGregor will get an extension...