What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons lacking pace

Stdavid

Juniors
Also think Dragons generally need more pace on the park - not many guys there that spark fear in opposition when they get the ball. I agree with those that think Bronx Goodwin deserves a shot and Evander Cummins looks a good prospect too.

Bring back choc

Juniors
Cummins was terrible in the under 20s Origin game. Had no impact at all, made errors and looked out of place in the step up in class. I don't think we can bank on him any time soon.
Goodwin is solid, but not spectacular. Not worth changing players unless we have suitable replacements. We don't at the moment.

Stdavid

Juniors
Thanks for feedback on Cummins, we weren't shown that game in NZ. I hope Goodwin stays injury free long enough to get a shot this season - maybe at fullback if Bmoz gets origin call? and I would also like to see Kyle Stanley get a try in the halves.

TheRev

First Grade
It was interesting watching the Storm game last night, deadset every half break was a length of the field try with blistering speed. I mean there are a lot of contributing factors, they are taking on the touchline (backing their speed), and generally have a player looming in support.. such a winning culture at the moment, but yeah the Back 3 were all lightning.

Thats not a swipe at our club though, id have Flo & Morris in any back 3 combination.

64 Dragon

Coach
I don't know about Beale. I thought Denan Kemp was the sort of player we could use. Some of the highlights of his time at Brisbane were outstanding. He looked like a real try grabber. He is an ex soccer player so he has got a good short kicking game. And he was quick. I suppose in his time there he had good players inside him. He has obviously lost something between then and now.

Mr Red

First Grade
VIdot is a flyer
Morris is a flyer
Soward quickest in the game over 40 meters..
Nightingale not too shabby...
Kyle Stanley is supposedly quick, but i have never seen him back himself and run...

add to that a mobile forward pack with Creagh and Scott very quick for backrowers and Merrin not too shabby for a prop...

i dont think pace is the problem i think its a lack of pace in two key areas - halfback and the interchange bench.
we need someone to create the spark that the others can feed off, a half with the spark to turn half a chance into a chance...
Hornby's time is up, however the thing is that he is still our best option at the moment...we dont have anyone else :(

drpeterb

Juniors
Mr Red spot on.
I don't think that our pace is lacking across our back 3.
Our forwards our fairly nimble Weyman's break and step past Brett Steward brought the house down.
Seriously though, our half back is an area where we are lacking zip and attacking creativity.
I would send Kyle to the Cutters to get some experience in the halves, then perhaps bring him back into the team in the back half of the season.
In the interim why not play Fien at 7 and have hornby as a utility off the bench?

Minh

First Grade
We are lacking superglue on the fingertips at various times this year moreso than pace i reckon.:sarcasm:

RedVee

First Grade
I think Soward has lost a little bit off the mark this year. Possibly due to an increase in bulk?

Como Connection

First Grade
Hornby ain't got it at 7, the Dragons are going nowhere without a creative half, he will not be dropped and unless injured will play there for the rest of the year, no good!!!
My $200 at evens plus 20 beers to make the 8 is now a a worry!

gypsy

Bench
At this stage Kyle looks completely out of place. everyone's saying he's a half, but he just doesn't look threatening...ever.

Vidot is always good for a loose carry and is too big IMO. 107kg is just too heavy for a winger these days. he turns like the queen Mary and has lost speed.

Sowards speed is irrelevant in his current form.
Thank god for BMoz and Nighty.

love my saints

Juniors
Pace is not the issue, 3 things that need addressing ASAP, ball control (already mentioned), discipline (already mentioned), and the one that no one seems to be bringing up, is support play!!! When the boys support eachother, we rip shit up, then we play these games where we make breaks but no support players are there!!! These are the games we get raped, that sh!t really pisses me off, look at Melbourne, half break, 2 or 3 players ther in support for the ball carrier to pop a pass, we just don't have that!!!

Pace is not the issue, 3 things that need addressing ASAP, ball control (already mentioned), discipline (already mentioned), and the one that no one seems to be bringing up, is support play!!! When the boys support eachother, we rip shit up, then we play these games where we make breaks but no support players are there!!! These are the games we get raped, that sh!t really pisses me off, look at Melbourne, half break, 2 or 3 players ther in support for the ball carrier to pop a pass, we just don't have that!!!

Hear Hear :clap:

64 Dragon

Coach
Watch how the Dogs back each other up. Two or three forwards working together as a pack, offload after offload until their speedy backs take over out wide. Jmoz and Barba are really fast and just take full advantage.

TheRev

First Grade
In terms of support-play, its a bit different when you are in a culture of winning & dominating on the field (i.e. the Storm), quite another when your spend most of the game defending your pants off due to poor completion.

64 Dragon

Coach
In terms of support-play, its a bit different when you are in a culture of winning & dominating on the field (i.e. the Storm), quite another when your spend most of the game defending your pants off due to poor completion.

You're right. I checked our completion rate from last Friday's mach. 17 from 34 possessions. Wont win any match these days. I heard some "expert" say the other day a completion rate of 30 will win any match. I wish we had that much ball every match.

possm

Coach
The other thing that is not being mentioned is that the Dragons have forgotten about their famous defence and commitment to each other in defence. All wanting to play the sexy arty farty attack at every opportunity.

Price needs to get them back to what worked for the last three years and slowly introduce new attacking moves on the back of successful defence.

The halves are our main problem however, the dropped ball and poor defence in the forwards are not helping their cause.

Stdavid

Juniors
Thank you for feedback. Have to agree with most of what has been posted, especially about the support play. Comments about Hornby may be right but, gee, it would be hard to drop him. He has been a great stalwart of the club, is probably still battling injury and always gives his best. He used to be a great support player too, especially when at fullback. I remember plenty of games when he was still trying his heart out when others were dropping their heads like the French revolution. Support play seemed to go under Bennett. Think we still have good side. Can't win premierships every year. As long as we have more good weeks than bad. One thing I don't agree with is Fien at half, too inconsistent - just ask the Warriors.