What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons New Captain 2025

TheRev

First Grade
Its an interesting question.. if Hunt is staying for 1 more year, I wouldnt mind a co-captain with Hunt, Sua or maybe Cook.. Or perhaps Flanno will wait for 2026.. and make it a fresh start.. decisions to make at the end of the year.

If we dont extend Hunt though, hes on market Nov 1, so that could make things rly awkward.

Tomaraque

Juniors
The Coach needs to have a very strong 1 on 1 with Ben about what he expects from him as a player and a captain. I really don't believe that Ben has the requisite leadership qualities but I would give him this season to turn it around. I hope that he becomes the leader we need in a period of change.

What we can't do is accept what he is delivering now, to do that undermines the cultural change that is slowly underway.

If Ben doesn't respond, the decision is made, he shouldn't be the captain.

If he responds positively, part of his role would be to develop the next captain via a co-captain arrangement.

The captain doesn't necessarily have to be the best player in the team, he is the steady hand that sees the bigger picture and nurtures and encourages each player on and off the field.

Again, I don't see Ben as this type of player, the good leaders don't play the blame game on the field. I see him managing his own profile rather than the team.

Only my view, and I see the best outcome is that he responds positively and leaves a lasting legacy as a player and captain.

The big picture for me is that the coach needs to have that BIG 1 on 1 with him. Failing to do this is to ignore the elephant in the room and to set the tone that some things can't be addressed, a dangerous situation at any time but particularly now.

I have no ill feeling towards Ben Hunt. The team is bigger than any individual and their ego.

Go Dragons!!