What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Next Coach

Our Next Coach for 2021

• Total voters

Incorrect

Coach
Was thinking earlier today, Paul Green is stale at the Cows. He's done what he was ever meant to do up there. I don't think he's a great coach, but I think he might be rejuvenated if given a chance. You guys could do worse. Rookies should be out, and there's no other super coaches available (maybe Wayne?)

Coffs dragon

Bench
It was interesting to hear Nathan Brown speak on TripleM radio yesterday about why some NRL teams suffer & remain at the bottom. He identified both the Bulldogs & Dragons as being in similar circumstances that they have failed to build from the bottom up.
What he insinuates is the strong clubs identity, recruit & develop young players that come thru their systems & then only need to sign a few top tier style players to complement that strength. He gave the example of the Roosters that have some 17 players that have come thru their ranks from Jersey Flegg to NRL squad. Again showing that they are proficient in identifying the right talent & developing them in their systems.

He claimed to not see this at the Dragons & Dogs and those younger bottom players are not coming thru. The problem is then multiplied with poor recruitment as the clubs are forced to sign more experienced players that are generally unwanted at other clubs at more inflated prices.
It becomes a cycle that is hard to break, but certainly suggests the strong clubs have the best recruitment team in identifying & developing which is cost effective on the salary cap as well.
We have the worst coach in the NRL and our development program is non existent. Millward is a master of buying overpriced scraps and then spinning that it’s the great miracle we have secured their signature.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It was interesting to hear Nathan Brown speak on TripleM radio yesterday about why some NRL teams suffer & remain at the bottom. He identified both the Bulldogs & Dragons as being in similar circumstances that they have failed to build from the bottom up.
What he insinuates is the strong clubs identity, recruit & develop young players that come thru their systems & then only need to sign a few top tier style players to complement that strength. He gave the example of the Roosters that have some 17 players that have come thru their ranks from Jersey Flegg to NRL squad. Again showing that they are proficient in identifying the right talent & developing them in their systems.

He claimed to not see this at the Dragons & Dogs and those younger bottom players are not coming thru. The problem is then multiplied with poor recruitment as the clubs are forced to sign more experienced players that are generally unwanted at other clubs at more inflated prices.
It becomes a cycle that is hard to break, but certainly suggests the strong clubs have the best recruitment team in identifying & developing which is cost effective on the salary cap as well.
We have the worst coach in the NRL and our development program is non existent. Millward is a master of buying overpriced scraps and then spinning that it’s the great miracle we have secured their signature.
We do bring a lot of players through though just don’t develop them well enough. Most of the time in past and present the bulk of our side is made up local juniors. Actual local juniors, not ones poached at age 17. So what we really need to do like Roosters and Melbourne is not put any money at all into junior development and just poach all the best 17 year olds ready to go. Problem is if everyone did this there would be no juniors left. I wish there was some salary cap relief for players that come through the juniors. Not flegg but the local St George, Illawarra regions junior comps. Or in the case of the Roosters/Melbourne Bondi, Melbourne comps...

Coffs dragon

Bench
We do bring a lot of players through though just don’t develop them well enough. Most of the time in past and present the bulk of our side is made up local juniors. Actual local juniors, not ones poached at age 17. So what we really need to do like Roosters and Melbourne is not put any money at all into junior development and just poach all the best 17 year olds ready to go. Problem is if everyone did this there would be no juniors left. I wish there was some salary cap relief for players that come through the juniors. Not flegg but the local St George, Illawarra regions junior comps. Or in the case of the Roosters/Melbourne Bondi, Melbourne comps...
We certainly have the nursery, but our club seems to be at a loss in developing the right players and giving them opportunities.
I believe the dominance of the Polynesian style giants, also has not helped us.
The other clubs seem to identity talent from anywhere, not just their local garden.

Given the current state of our club, I am generally against jobs for old boys. But Brown is experienced enough with non-Dragons systems to replace Millward. And of course Baldy needs replacing with a quality outside coach.

Straight Shooter

Coffs dragon

Bench
Given the current state of our club, I am generally against jobs for old boys. But Brown is experienced enough with non-Dragons systems to replace Millward. And of course Baldy needs replacing with a quality outside coach.

Straight Shooter
OV I’m not saying Brownie should re join the Dragons in any capacity, but he knows his shit. He certainly identified and developed young talent at both Huddersfield & the Newcastle Knights plus won the premiership at St. Helens
All his decision making and recruitment at the Knights has given them the groundwork for great success. He always said whomever came in after him would reap the rewards.

BLM01

First Grade

Straight Shooter
I would have Brown anywhere in my football club dept except HC..so I agree

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
We certainly have the nursery, but our club seems to be at a loss in developing the right players and giving them opportunities.
I believe the dominance of the Polynesian style giants, also has not helped us.
The other clubs seem to identity talent from anywhere, not just their local garden.
To an extent but I believe Ramsey, Lomax and the Feagai bro’s are all from country NSW and were brought here at a young age, so we do try. We don’t seem to produce the Baileys, Ryles, Coopers and Gasniers of the recent past though for some reason. Those teams Brown coached if coached by an experienced coach would have won several and set us up long term I believe as success breeds success and that generation could have fostered the next. That was basically a lost generation, same is happening now with Friz leaving, no experienced backs for ours to be mentored by etc. long story short, we are a mess and have been for years besides the David Waite/Wayne Bennett periods.

OV I’m not saying Brownie should re join the Dragons in any capacity, but he knows his shit. He certainly identified and developed young talent at both Huddersfield & the Newcastle Knights plus won the premiership at St. Helens
All his decision making and recruitment at the Knights has given them the groundwork for great success. He always said whomever came in after him would reap the rewards.

Yep, didn't mean to insinuate you were vouching his return. Just my opinion that I'd be happy with a recruitment role for him under the right circumstances.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I’m trying to figure out when our club was considering O’Brien as was suggested as a head coach what was the one thing that McGregor had that they chose McGregor.

Must have been his credentials

sacked by bennet

Won 3 comps in the local league what was it Dapto was it.

I am best mates with the boss who signed authorities for a con man to rip his company off and not realize.

I’m a liar who told the club he cares about that I have offers from numerous clubs to coach.

I have run out of superlatives

Latest posts