What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons & Raiders merger - merged with the WTF Dog Act

Wobbygong

First Grade
source: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ders-consider-joint-nsw-cup-side/1982324.aspx

Dragons, Raiders consider joint NSW Cup side

It won't eventuate anyway, but some offseason reading..............

TIM BARROW
29 Oct, 2010 01:00 AM
Joint venture club St George Illawarra could take the extraordinary step of forming a partnership with NRL rivals Canberra to field a team in the NSW Cup next year.
The Mercury can reveal that club boss Peter Doust and Canberra chief executive Don Furner have held talks with NSWRL general manager Geoff Carr about several options including a combined Dragons-Raiders team.
The NSW Cup is already set to include a Melbourne-Cronulla alliance in 2011 in a bid to cut costs for the NRL clubs.
The high-level discussions come after the collapse of a deal that would have seen Carlton League powerhouse Wests taking over from Shellharbour as St George Illawarra's feeder team.
However, the NSWRL and the reigning premiers are still hopeful of Wests backing the team if they can find a way of easing the financial burden of more than $500,000 to run a NSW Cup team.
"They [the Dragons] are clearly of the view they need to be in the competition in some capacity," Carr told the Mercury yesterday. "The issue with the clubs is finance. We've continued discussions with the Dragons; we're hopeful of it working.
"We appreciate the Dragons want a team, but there's additional expense involved to have a team in your own right.
"I'm not going to go any further into what the options are, but we will need to work through it logically and come up with some kind of solution."
While the Dragons officials are optimistic about fielding a team to include their players who are overlooked for the NRL team, there will be major consequences for Canberra.
The Raiders are linked with Queensland Cup club Souths Logan and there are grave fears the Magpies would fold if the NRL club left for the NSW Cup.
But the NSWRL has threatened that Canberra's SG Ball and Harold Matthews teams might not be invited back into the under-age competitions next year if the Raiders refuse to switch to the NSW Cup.
There are also major concerns about who would coach a combined Dragons-Raiders team, because both clubs would want the NSW Cup team's playing style to mirror that of their NRL outfits.
Steelers and Dragons legend Paul McGregor was lined up to coach a NSW Cup team backed by Wests, but has instead signed to again lead the Devils' Carlton League premiership defence after he was left in limbo when the deal collapsed.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
so... the name "raiders_premiers" was actually prophetic...

hmmm.. if this goes ahead, i can see poor waiders_pwemiers sitting there insulting himself back and forwards.. almost like a dog chasing it's tail..

Jono1987

Juniors
:lol::lol::lol:

This is too good to be true. Where is our friend? I await with great anticipation to hear his views on the matter.

Fingerbang

Bench
This just in: Raiders_premiers has just been found by Security staff at ANU, in a covered walkway between Buildings B and C. Presumably, hung himself with a makeshift noose made from his own underpants.

Fingerbang

Bench
Weren't Shellharbour Dragons wooden spooners this year? So he will have to change his name to Raiders_Spooners.

They need Big Dell back playing for them.

Nugby

Juniors
Wait, is that suggesting Wests would have contested the NSW Cup rather than hang around in the Ilawarra comp? That'd make more sense than what I envisaged.

I can envisage a few issues with a NSW Cup team around who gets the majority of forwards playing, who coaches, where the teams based etc, but frankly, I f**king love Joint Ventures!

Raiders_Premiers_Feeder_Club has an awesome ring to it!

gregstar

Referee
lol!

i posted previously to raise the thread title to the main page for such a reason!

lol!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Members viewing this thread:

Waiders_want_to_be_Premiers_Feeders.

C'mon Waiders... it's a big button called 'Post Reply'.

gregstar

Referee
you can just tell she's had to staple her hands to the desk, trying not to post!

the whore will keep viewing however!

LOL!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
FMD, a posted the link three times in two threads, bloody paved the driveway and even put a model of Lake Burley Griffin at the main entrance, but the waiders rent boy just wouldn't take up the invitation.

Was it something we said?