What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons re-sign Allgood, sign two more

possm

Coach
Also managing the cap isnt as easy as ABC either. Many anomolies have to be factored in like back-ended contracts and SOO payments as well has holding a reserve amount for upgrading contract amounts (which is seperate to upgrading a term of a contract).

Also, it isn't just Millward involved in this process. The coaches all have an input into what position they want to fill, upgrade or change.

For example: coach needs an additional prop. Millward says we have only 200k to spend. You dont go out hunting the likes of Taupou for 200k. The recruiting team would go and find x # of candidates that fit that amount. The coach would say yeah or nay and select the one he likes. Recruitement then has to sign them up. And you're 100% correct our poor TPA involvement means we cant get Taupou for 200k + 500k TPA (like the Roosters or Storm).

Thats it in a nutshell. Sometimes i think we are damn lucky to have the players we do have given our woeful TPA involvements.
I don't know why people on here defend useless fools like Millward.

All that is needed is a simple excel spreadsheet projected onto a white board with tab sheets for the next 5 years. Formula can be inserted and adjusted as required. Projections for the next year can be catered for and everyone should see the current state of affairs and the projected state of affairs instantly.

Hopefully extending Aitken, Lafai and to a lesser extent Nightingale would not occur, especially long term and after poor seasons. The rule should be replace one for one or better and this should be done at the first grade level first.

Once the first string players have been contracted, then the depth from within signed and depth recruitment from outside should be restricted to the crumbs left over.

In my opinion, Millward goes for the easy signings - either pays overs for a top line player like Hunt or pays unders for good ISP players wanting out like Vaughan, McInnes etc. In the end if the player paid unders turns out to be good, there will be pressure to upgrade in the short term and usually before contracts end.

mobels

Juniors
Roosters signed FPN last year, Jesus Christ it’s not a big deal of us re-signing Allgood.

He’s there to provide some experience for the NSW Cup forward pack and pass of some knowledge. Even Lawrie said that Allgood has helped make him a better player.

getsmarty

Immortal
Allgood keen to show his worth
Dragons Den
r0_0_2048_1297_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Mitch Allgood in action in the ISP last season. Picture: Dragons Media

DRAGONS prop Mitch Allgood is confident he still has plenty to offer the NRL as he looks to end a near five-year absence in 2019.

The former Eels firebrand spent three seasons in the UK Super League with Hull KR and Wakefield Trinity before returning with the Dragons this year.

His injury-hampered season was spent exclusively in the Instrust Super Premiership but, having signed a one-year extension, he’s confident he can break the drought next season.

“I went over to Super League in 2015 so it’ll be a few years in between,” Allgood said.

“The game’s changed a lot I’m sure, but I’m looking forward to getting my chance to play in it again. I worked hard to give myself the best opportunity to do so [this year] but things happen.

“I did the medial [ligament] in both knees in the on tackle early on and it just hung around for the rest of the year. Hopefully next year I can remain injury free and give myself the best chance of playing.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5799669/allgood-keen-to-show-his-worth/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
allgoodm-1850621rc.jpg

DRAGONS

Allgood's transition from 'schnitty' champ to devout vegan
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 22 Feb 2019, 04:19 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Mitchell Allgood's photo once hung on the wall of a restaurant in Sydney's inner-west for setting a "schnitzel challenge" record but the St George Illawarra forward now holds the mantle as the NRL's most devout vegan.

"I wouldn't even know what meat tastes like any more," said Allgood, who established a record for diners at the Austrian Schnitzelhaus chain of restaurants in 2012 by eating 1kg of chicken schnitzel with chips and drinking a one-litre stein of beer in 14 minutes.

"If I can become a vegan anyone can."

The 29-year-old prop, who will line up for Dragons in Saturday's trial against Newcastle at WIN Stadium, became a vegan more than three years ago while playing for Hull Kingston Rovers in Super League and is influencing other players to modify their eating habits.

St George Illawarra teammates Jordan Pereira and Darren Nicholls are now dairy free, while former Dragons prop Mose Masoe turned vegan after joining Hull KR, along with Allgood's former Robins teammate Kieran Moss.

"I don't shout it from the rooftops but a few of the boys have made changes in their diet, and they are seeing the immediate health benefits and performance benefits," Allgood said.

"They are feeling a lot better and are really enjoying it."

allgood-meal-plan.jpg

NBA stars Kyrie Irving and DeAndre Jordan are high-profile vegan athletes, alongside NFL quarterbacks Tom Brady and Colin Kaepernick, while Argentina teammates Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero are vegan during their soccer season.

Australian cricketers Peter Siddle and Adam Zampa are other sport stars to have spruiked the benefits of a plant-based diet, along with Indian batsman Virat Kohli.

Allgood said he and his wife Madeline had decided to turn vegan in 2015 for ethical reasons, but believes being a vegan had also given him greater stamina and energy.

"The ethical side is what drives it because if it was just a diet then, like most diets, you would slip up from time to time," Allgood said.

"All the health benefits that come from eating plant-based food has made it even easier to maintain. I have found that it has increased my stamina and I can play longer minutes.

"I've had a few injuries so I wasn't training as much but through my diet I found I was able to maintain my fitness or energy levels to be able to go out and play longer minutes. That was just purely to do with what I was putting in my body.

"There is a misconception that you need to eat meat to gain protein but there is so much protein in other foods and it is easy to source at the supermarket or shops these days and you can always find vegan options at cafes and restaurants."

The former Parramatta prop's regular diet includes breakfasts comprising of cereals and fruit, vegan patties and salad or pastas for lunch, and dinners such as falafel, pies, vegetarian lasagne and bean burritos.

St George Illawarra players are given lunch at training and the club now offers vegan and dairy-free options such as beetroot, bean and quinoa patties with salad. Allgood adds protein powder to smoothies and makes his own protein shakes at training.

The night before playing, he usually eats spaghetti bolognese made with plant-based mince.

"I have never been more conscious of what I am getting out of each meal than I have since making the change to be vegan," Allgood said.

allgoodm-180425nh51.jpg

Dragons prop Mitchell Allgood. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
"I used to just eat whatever and never really think about whether I was having a balanced diet. I would predominantly eat meat. I wasn't someone who ate lots of salads and vegetables. My diet now is pretty much the same as what everyone eats, except it's an alternative to eating animals.

"Everyone at this club has just been accepting, nothing is ever a hassle. The players ask lots of questions but it is more out of curiosity. They are not offended by my decision, it is just what I do."

Allgood said his main motivation for becoming vegan had been animal welfare, along with environmental impact and health benefits.

"I just had a shift in the way I saw things," he said.

"I never really questioned what I ate. It was just what we did and immediately I realised that I didn't want to be eating animals.

"I don't think that we are meant to be eating animals. I feel like our bodies are designed to be eating predominantly plant-based and fruits and vegetables and things that we can get naturally without having to source it from eating another life.

"For me it's animal welfare first and the moral understanding that we should be doing that and then the environmental impact. All the health benefits are just a bonus that come with that."

Dufty on re-signing with the Dragons

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/22/allgoods-transition-from-schnitty-champ-to-devout-vegan/

nontime111

Juniors
for everyone from the worlds ( and Mercolas) most tuned in and credible independent ( as in not Monsanto funded or any other company with any other agenda funded) and best nutritionalist on earth

Drag Queen

Bench
for everyone from the worlds ( and Mercolas) most tuned in and credible independent ( as in not Monsanto funded or any other company with any other agenda funded) and best nutritionalist on earth

I have no problem with this mate. 90% of the time I'll opt for plant based food.

Drag Queen

Bench
Q: how do you know if someone is a vegan?

A: they’ll tell you.
Oldie but a goodie. I'm not embarrassed to say I like plant based food. I'm not vegan though. Occasionally, I'll eat seafood and red meat. Not often though. Just a preference for me.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
“Former Dragon, Mose Masoe....”.

LOL :joy:

Was he a Millward or Mullholland “master” signing?
I think he was signed in 2015 by Mullholland for the 2016 season. Then he did his ACL and didn't play a game that season before being released by Millward for 2017 where he went to ESL.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I can see the headline now
“Gees Pickers MA had a great game he really ripped in and tore them to shreds”
Yea mate he sure did, we locked him in a cage all week and fed him on raw lentils”

nontime111

Juniors
Meat is murder.

Tasty, delicious murder.
exactly and in line with the natural order and natural law for as humans weve hunted meat like any other animal for millions of years, as natural is killing animals ( as all is food here for something even us when we go, food for grubs, ants flies crows etc) as rainwater, the saddest thing about this vegan agenda is to guilt trip us human animals into not eating our natural diet of millenia as proven by Weston Price, but no one will research only go along with and all the rest of Agenda 2030 for population control.....