What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Re-Sign Thirroul Butchers Trio

getsmarty

Immortal
Wed 17th August, 12:00PM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced the re-signing of local Thirroul Butchers' juniors, Matheson Johns, Cooper Purcell and Max Bailey to new contracts.

All three players are presently in their first season representing the Club’s National Youth Competition team.

Both Johns and Purcell, who were previously part of the recent Illawarra Steelers SG Ball Grand Final team, have been signed for a further two seasons, until at least the end of 2018 season.

Johns plays in the centres and was the recipient of the Steelers 2016 SG Ball Coach’s Award while Purcell plays as hooker.

Both players originally joined the Dragons' High Performance Unit in early 2013 before progressing to junior representative football, that same year.

Furthermore, a fellow teammate Bailey,has agreed to a further season, until at least the end of 2017.

The versatile lock-forward, who can also play in the second-row, is also a graduate of the Steelers' SG Ball team, last season.

“It is fantastic news that local Thirroul Butchers' juniors Matheson, Cooper and Max have all agreed to remain with the Club,” said Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward.

“All three players have come through our junior pathways' systems and were previously part of our Steelers' SG Ball team at differing times who have shown a keen desire to continue their learning with our NYC team.

“We all look forward to watching their continued development over the coming seasons.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/08/17/dragons_re_sign_thir.html

FlameThrower

Bench
Never noticed so much focus and media on the resigning of these juniors? I really hope we unearth some quality players for the future.
Meanwhile pressing issue of coach and halves and hooker still not sorted out...

Old Timer

Coach
Silly me I thought it was news about a 3 piece band to replace the Warren Carr Orchestra at the Club but then I remembered we don't have an auditorium, or a chairman, or a coach, or a half, or a hooker, or a ball playing big poppa prop, or a marquis signing for next year.

Hey darl, can you bring me in the Panadol that headaches come back again.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Silly me I thought it was news about a 3 piece band to replace the Warren Carr Orchestra at the Club but then I remembered we don't have an auditorium, or a chairman, or a coach, or a half, or a hooker, or a ball playing big poppa prop, or a marquis signing for next year.

Hey darl, can you bring me in the Panadol that headaches come back again.

One of your best OT!

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Dragons have signed up matherson johns a centre player of the year u 18 steelers
Cooper purcell a hooker also steelers u18
Allso Max Bailey all till end 2018
Ive seen matherson play in under 20 earlier in the year look like a good player.
Coast can you tell me your opinion on all of them thanks mate

Retention of good young players is different to recruiting outside of the club.

Being linked to everyone doesn't mean diddly and do you honestly think everything that is said is true.

Dragons have signed up matherson johns a centre player of the year u 18 steelers
Cooper purcell a hooker also steelers u18
Allso Max Bailey all till end 2018
Ive seen matherson play in under 20 earlier in the year look like a good player.
Coast can you tell me your opinion on all of them thanks mate
Johns and Purcell had a great year in the SG Ball comp and both are very good young players with potential.

Bailey has been in the NYC this year and has been very solid.

They have just extended the contracts of Trent Peoples, Hayden Lomax, Jackson Willis and Steven Marsters.

Steven Marsters is a good young fullback who was spotted by Ben Haran in NZ who brought him over and he is lightning quick..

Jackson Willis is the son of ex Wests player Darren Willis and get this he has only one eye had his left one removed as a little boy but boy can this kid play an outsatnding young number 7 and considered in the top three halves in the state.

Trent Peoples is from Western Sydney and like Willis joined the Steelers SG Ball team and was included in the NSW Blues juniors pathway system has lots of potential.

Hayden Lomax who has been added to the NYC team this year was SG Ball player of the year and like his brother Zac has oddles of Talent and also a NSW junior rep.

Last edited:

emu62

Juniors
They have just extended the contracts of Trent Peoples, Hayden Lomax, Jackson Willis and Steven Marsters.

Steven Marsters is a good young fullback who was spotted by Ben Haran in NZ who brought him over and he is lightning quick..

Jackson Willis is the son of ex Wests player Darren Willis and get this he has only one eye had his left one removed as a little boy but boy can this kid play an outsatnding young number 7 and considered in the top three halves in the state.

Trent Peoples is from Western Sydney and like Willis joined the Steelers SG Ball team and was included in the NSW Blues juniors pathway system has lost of potential.

Hayden Lomax who has been added to the NYC team this year was SG Ball player of the year and like his brother Zac has oddles of Talent and also a NSW junior rep.

Thanks Coast,enjoyed reading your summation of each player, always good to know something about the juniors coming thru

Thanks emu and Dragonssam imo the club has no choice but to depend on its junior system now more than ever.

It seems players have little desire to join the club or thats what we are all lead to believe so why not keep juniors who may have some type of future.

dribble73

Juniors

Trent Peoples is from Western Sydney and like Willis joined the Steelers SG Ball team and was included in the NSW Blues juniors pathway system has lots of potential.

Peter Mulholland spotted Marsters.

Mr Red

First Grade
Quickly saw the title of this thread and thought it said "dragons re-sign the butcher "
I was about to have a meltdown....

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors

I think his dad was Andrew Willis, not Darren. But it is an amazing story. He had Cancer in his eye which was discovered when he was 2.

Latest posts