What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Team to play Broncos

Dragon_Slayer

Juniors
MERRIN NAMED FOR NRL DEBUT

Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Dragons Coach Wayne Bennett has today given front rower Trent Merrin the opportunity to make his NRL debut at Suncorp Stadium this Friday night against the Broncos.
The Shellharbour junior was the Dragons Toyota Cup Player of the Year in 2008 and will make his debut from the interchange bench. Former Bronco and new recruit Nick Emmett has also been named on the five-man interchange.
In other team news, Darius Boyd will replace Matt Cooper in the centres (Hamstring), Captain Ben Hornby shifts to fullback with Mathew Head set to start at the match at halfback.
“I’ve got a good combination with Sowie and have played a lot with Ben Hornby so we’re hoping it’ll click this Friday,” Head said. “They’re on top of the table so it’s going to be a great clash and we have a big supporter base up there which will be good for us.”
Unavailable Dragons are: Justin Poore – Hand (Rnd 5), Jason Nightingale – Hamstring (Rnd 6), Ricky Thorby – Back (Rnd 6) Matt Cooper – Hamstring (Rnd 7)

Dragon_Slayer

Juniors
. Ben Hornby (c)
2. Brett Morris
3. Beau Scott
4. Darius Boyd
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Mathew Head
8. Jarrod Saffy
9. Dean Young
10. Michael Weyman
11. Matt Prior
12. Ben Creagh
13. Jeremy Smith
14. Dan Hunt
15. Neville Costigan
16. Luke Priddis
17. Trent Merrin
18. Nick Emmett

Toyota Cup v Broncos
1. Henry Raiwalui
2. Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa
3. Dean Whare
4. Kane Linnett
5. Joe Vickery
6. Warwick Carter
7. Beau Henry
8. Thomas Hancock
9. Cmaeron King
10. Clifford Morris
11. Jake Marketo (c)
12. Brad Hudson
13. Wes Suckley
14. Sam Campbell
15. Shannon Wakeman
16. Mitch Rein
17. Beau Woodley

Cagey Mac

Bench
It will be good to see Merrin match it with the big boys
Not a bad lineup

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
Wow, I didn't expect Bennett to revert back to Hornby at fullback, Head at halfback so fast but it's great to see it happen. Also great to see Merrin debut as well, he's a future star.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Gonna be interesting in the halves. Go Matty. Hope he and Soward gel and become a lethal halves combo.

How long is Nighty out for?

Cagey Mac

Bench
You would imagine that Bennett would have seen Boyd handle Hodges often enough in training and is hoping that he can anticipate him a little
It looks like we have a few targets on the paddock however and
I imagine that Astro is faster than Hodges whilst not a strong a runner
Folau is going to be a handful. Head and Sowie are really going to have to aim up with point perfect kicking games. Passes will also need to stick if we’re going to win because we’ll need more than 20 to beat them up there. Discipline will also need to be spot on.

Looks like a stong team. I wonder who Emmett is shadowing for, or does he just want a weekend at home?

Unavailable Dragons are: Justin Poore – Hand (Rnd 5), Jason Nightingale – Hamstring (Rnd 6), Ricky Thorby – Back (Rnd 6) Matt Cooper – Hamstring (Rnd 7)

watatank

Coach
Looks like a stong team. I wonder who Emmett is shadowing for, or does he just want a weekend at home?

Having him there just has all bases covered, just in case of a last minue injury injury. He would straight into the backline in case of injury and if there's a forward injury he goes to centre and Scott moves back to the pack

MattYg1

Bench
this team makes me grin from ear to ear :mrgreen::mrgreen::D:D

I think Head will go well... the only concern is the whole ISRAEL issue...

Ray Parlour

Juniors
Yeah Isreal will destroy moz in the air.

Would switch him with Dell who although isnt much better in the air, has a bigger physical presence to rival israel.

SerbDragon

Coach
is there anyway in the world to defend what israel does legally, that is when he jumps for the ball and lands in goal... without it being a penalty?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
is there anyway in the world to defend what israel does legally, that is when he jumps for the ball and lands in goal... without it being a penalty?
Yes, catch him mid air after he's caught the ball and drive him over the sideline.

It's only a penalty if a defender is tackled mid-air. That being said, catching a 6 and a half foot, 110kg giant like folau mid-air is a damn hard task.

Gaba

First Grade
yes grab the ball, and make sure you hands and body are under the ball if he doesnt land on his feet he wont have the opportunity of promoting the ball, if he lends on his feet shoulder charge him over the side line

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
Yeah there's a defence, catch the ball before he does :)

Seriously though, Manly countered it effectively in last years GF, they provided a lot of "shadow" players who get between him and the ball, at the very least impeding his run and protecting the winger who is going for the bomb. It borders on illegal but if done right it's an effective strategy. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Boyd defends on the wing for the last couple of tackles, in readiness for the bomb.

Jono1987

Juniors
I like the changes Benny has made. Soward and Head is our best attacking options at the halves. But I am worried about how Head will hold up in defence. Hopefully Benny will have Smith watching Head's back.

dragonfire

Bench
Folau is a hard guy to go against, i would almost be tempted to not contest the ball and just hammer him as he catches in the middrift as hard as possible a couple times. Otherwise the sensible thing is to wait there and try to catch him and hold him up

Latest posts