What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Team to play Broncos

Gaba

First Grade
nah i think it is 7 mate, they havnt beaten us since '05
either way who cares as long as we make it either 6 zip or 8 zip lol
yeah its 7 in a row and the broncos struggled to score more then 3 trys against the dragons, in 2007 the dragons had the weakest line up much weaker then this one and the broncos line up is stronger then the one this weekend and the broncos could only score one try to dragons 2

I cant see the broncos putting a big score on thier attack is lockyer and wallace to make the creativity, hodges is a ball hog and easier to control, reason why the broncos have struggled since 2004 against the dragons lock up lockyer and the halfback the broncos arent that dangerous, hodges will never worry sides with his ball passing he hardly does it

Last edited:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
we’ll need more than 20 to beat them up there. Discipline will also need to be spot on.

Only if we let in 19.

Have some faith in our defence. Bennett is working on it and probably realises it is what will win us the game. We take the opportunities we missed with the Sharks and we'll put 18 to 24 on without a doubt.

It's our defence that will stop Lockyer and Wallace from running riot.

is there anyway in the world to defend what israel does legally, that is when he jumps for the ball and lands in goal... without it being a penalty?

Hit him when he hits the ground. That's what Sailor and Morris can do - Time him hitting the ground, drive up to keep him from falling to the dirt and scoring, then push him over the line.

Easier said than done, granted. And he scores so many tries because he also avoids that happening. But it's the answer to the question.

Godz Illa

Coach
Our defence has been so strong that even the Broncos should hold no fear for our side, even with Head in there. Our major issue this week is the short turnaround. Just 5 days break after a hot, gruelling Sunday afternoon slugfest... plus Queensland has no daylight savings so they lose another hour! Big test of our new conditioning/medical/rehab staff

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Our defence has been so strong that even the Broncos should hold no fear for our side, even with Head in there. Our major issue this week is the short turnaround. Just 5 days break after a hot, gruelling Sunday afternoon slugfest... plus Queensland has no daylight savings so they lose another hour! Big test of our new conditioning/medical/rehab staff

Yes, I percieve this to be the major issue too.

I we need to sit back a little and let Wayne do the job he's been hired for. So far, in three competition rounds, our side looks completeley different to anything we've seen under Brown, Farrar and posibly even Waite.

This being the case, we should have a little more faith and see what Wayne is trying to do. We're not going to win every game; Something I'm resigned to. But the progression and building blocks that is going on is what we should be focussed on. The loss against Melbourne shows this; If ever there was a positive loss, that was it and it showed that the team is evolving and changing.

Lets wait til Round 15 and then see what is happening. Wayne won three or 4 premierships with Kevin Walters and Allan Langer, both small and defensively suspect players; Maybe he knows how to replicate this with Soward and Head.

Point being, our defensive has improved so much in three rounds, and we're yet to see the full fruits of Uncle Waynes influence.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think a lot is going to depend on our kicking game. Their outside backs are relatively inexperienced and catching them out of position may prove worthwhile
I’m sure that Benny will be working with Astro and BMoz running on to grubbers from Sowie, Head and Hornby. Falou is great in the air but may not be able to defend the grubber as that well. At least it’s a Friday night game and will be a little cooler than Sunday arvo in BrisVegas

MattYg1

Bench
I think a lot is going to depend on our kicking game. Their outside backs are relatively inexperienced and catching them out of position may prove worthwhile
I’m sure that Benny will be working with Astro and BMoz running on to grubbers from Sowie, Head and Hornby. Falou is great in the air but may not be able to defend the grubber as that well. At least it’s a Friday night game and will be a little cooler than Sunday arvo in BrisVegas

I likes the way your thinking Cagey... if he's big and tall have him bend and fall...

grubbers are a go...

rushndude

Bench
Apart from Winterstein, which of their other outside backs are inexperienced? Hodges, Folau, cutie, Michaels...they are all top players and origin/aus reps (except for michaels). Its a gun backline and will be damn hard to stop.

But i think we can do it.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Folau jump is a huge advantage but if they don't contest it and wait for him to land, then they can throw him over the line or stay under him. Easier said than done.

If they tackle him in the air and he is in goal is it a penalty try or just a penalty?

Jaime Ainscough may have some good advise on how to stop Folau from scoring off a bomb in their in-goal area. They should ask him........

Did anyone ever see that player play again after the Ainscough incident? Better still did he make it back to Melbourne after THAT game?

MattYg1

Bench
If we can outplay them in the middle we can limit them out the backs.... and i know we can outplay them in the fowards...

and in questions to our attack if we can score 6 and they cant score any its still a victory to us...

Fire up lads... this will be a tough one...

MattYg1

Bench
The Folau jump is a huge advantage but if they don't contest it and wait for him to land, then they can throw him over the line or stay under him. Easier said than done.

If they tackle him in the air and he is in goal is it a penalty try or just a penalty?

Jaime Ainscough may have some good advise on how to stop Folau from scoring off a bomb in their in-goal area. They should ask him........

Did anyone ever see that player play again after the Ainscough incident? Better still did he make it back to Melbourne after THAT game?

Did he even get up???

Is he even alive??? :lol::lol:

rushndude

Bench
Its neither. The mid-air tackle is perfectly legal on an attacking player, in-goal or out.
The problem is being able to 'catch' and drive him back or over the side line. No mean feat against this giant.
For it to be effective, Morris and Boyd would both need to get involved, which would leave us highly vulnerable to an off-load to Hodges...especially if Folau is expecting the push back if Morris doesnt go up to contest the ball.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Apart from Winterstein, which of their other outside backs are inexperienced? Hodges, Folau, cutie, Michaels...they are all top players and origin/aus reps (except for michaels). Its a gun backline and will be damn hard to stop.

But i think we can do it.

That's why I said "relatively" inexperienced and used the term advisedly referring to the Falou and Michaels. Michaels is highly rated but his relatively short career has been punctuated by two long stints with injury. Falou had some of the best cover defenders in the game with him at the Storm and is relatively (there it is again) unprotected by comparison.
NZ made his defence look a little below par at times in the World Cup
I think that this game will be harder than the Storm given our quick turnaround and the absence of Coops and Nighty. I think however that even with those two missing that the additional time on the paddock of the new combination makes us a little better than the team that took the field in round 1.
We have won against seemingly impossible odds at Suncorp, I'm hoping we can do it again

boxa777

Coach

The Folau jump is near enough impossible to stop without illegal blocking.. My suggestion would be to pressure the sh*t out of Wallace and Lockyer on the last tackle, especially on the left side of the park..

Hopefully the kick will land short of the line and when he inevitably catches it, hopefully he can be stopped from scoring.

Hopefully..

Smoove_Saint

Juniors
The Folau jump is near enough impossible to stop without illegal blocking.. My suggestion would be to pressure the sh*t out of Wallace and Lockyer on the last tackle, especially on the left side of the park..

Hopefully the kick will land short of the line and when he inevitably catches it, hopefully he can be stopped from scoring.

Hopefully..

With the way new rule is going where you cant even fart in the direction of the kicker, the likes of Wallace and Lockyer would be even more accurate!!

Nevan_

First Grade
With the way new rule is going where you cant even fart in the direction of the kicker, the likes of Wallace and Lockyer would be even more accurate!!

Theres a solution to that. Smash them before they get the kick away. Or, charge down.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Theres a solution to that. Smash them before they get the kick away. Or, charge down.

Under new rules you can only make contact by tackling using your arms to grab the player. (As clarified by Harrigan on Talkin' Sport last week) Charge downs often give six tackles back to the opposition and are usually frowned upon in your own red zone. You also can’t attack the legs of a player as did Steve Price on a few occasions so options are fairly limited

CreaghzyMark

Juniors
i got an idea!

when they put up a cross field bomb or chip why dont we legally or illegally block izzy.
yeah it gives away a penalty but it cant be deemed a penalty try since they cannot be 100% certain he would catch it and 100% he will ground it, the penalty gives them another set of six or a shot at 2 points but bein so far out they either dont go for the kick or chance are miss it and if they take the 6 again im confident in our defence to hold them out and then again if the idiots from brisvegas go ahead with the kick again to izzy you do it all over again. soon enough you sh*t them up and they take the 2 instead of the 4 or we force an error. either way we stop them from scoring a try.

I LIKE lol

redvscotty

First Grade
A deliberate illegal move will get you 10 in the bin at the very least before you can say 'at the very least'.

Latest posts