What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons U20's trial

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Juniors take Dragons head-on

By PHIL BROWNE
Monday, November 03, 2008

JUNIOR Bati captain Jos-efa Rasiga was delighted with his sides 20-all draw against the Saint George Illawarra Dragons development side.

"Our boy's performance was 110 per cent. Our preparation leading into this game was excellent and I was happy with the communication out on the field" said Rasiga

In wet and windy conditions, the Dragons opened the scoring with a try in the 11th minute.

Fiji replied one minute later when Rasiga pounced on a wayward Dragons pass to score. Kevin Naiqama converting to take the scores to 6-4.

The Dragons were next to score in the 15th minute taking an 8-6 lead.

Fiji replied again thro-ugh Apenisa Cokanasiga in the 19th minute with Nai-qama converting to take the lead 12-8.

With constant rain throughout the match, the ground was slippery under foot with many players losing there footing.

This didn't deter the Fijians from putting on some bone crunching defe-nce to the delight of the crowd.

The Dragons regained the lead, scoring a converted try in the 29th minute to take the score to 14-12.

A back line move from a scrum set up by Fiji halfback Noa Kurumaicake led to a try with Metui Koroi crashing over in the corner in the 49th minute.

Fiji regained the lead once again taking the score to 16-14.

The Dragons were looking dangerous with the ball but a brilliant try saving tackle from Fiji replacement Eparama Vosarogoci lifted the Bati.

On the end of another backline movement in the 71Saint minute, fullback Venioni Voretamaya crus-hed over to score, extending Fiji's lead to 20-14.
With only two minutes and 50 seconds left on the clock, the Dragons broke away off a scrum to score under the posts and kick the conversion. This levelled the scores at 20-all.

Junior Bati head coach Joeli Savou was happy with his young warriors.
"The boys have really improved a lot compared to the last two games back in Fiji"

"I was very happy with the boys individual preparations leading into the game.

"Players like Josefa Rasiga, Apenisa Canasau and Peni Musunamasi really stepped up today. I am happy with the result."

EDIT - LINK ADDED: http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=105206

I believe the Dragons were treating this match as an U20's trial...should be a few Fijians in the squad judging by the result..

Last edited by a moderator:

Wicks

Juniors
The country development squad only had a few Steelers and Dragons players from junior representatives sides and this years extended under 20s squad

Most hadnt played for the club and were either under scholarship or invited to trial

Latest posts