What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Titans Round 2, 2023

Old Timer

Coach
Takeaways for me

As alluded to by several posters the team was indeed divided those that play on the left played there those on the right played there those on the middle played there and those with a roving commission did that. FFS people come up with weird statements the team looked like a band of brothers and the coach’s box looked calm, united and happy all a big plus for us.

The much maligned signings all played out of their skin for their new club, teammates and coaching staff and all gelled very nicely.

5 hit ups and useless kick gone off the back of yardage and domination by our forwards.

No heads down after 20 minutes as they new they were physically winning the game and they maintained composure and then dominated.

Despite the shithouse and biased early refereeing we stayed calm and managed to take the referee out of the game by regrouping and not giving away dumb ass penalties and cheap 6 agains which showed trust in your fellow players doing their jobs.

Our backs had an enjoyable night playing behind some real grunt and their physicality lifted as a result.

Their 3 tries were all soft and are tbh are easily fixed where our tries had enterprise and skill.

Their big money “marquis” forwards who are always the darlings of the press Tino & Fifita were well contained and not allowed to dominate / intimidate whatsoever.

A great night at the office and very pleasing viewing well done to all.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I heard the SAAAAIIIINNNNTT GEEEOOORRRGEEEE chant towards the end of game a few times over the broadcast on Kayo. Was so nice to hear it again, hopefully we get much more of it this season too
It's quite common at Kogarah. Years ago the ground announcer used try and rev up the crowd with DRA-GONS chant but that didn't catch on. He never tried to get us to chant SAINT GEORGE, that's an entirely crowd motivated thing.

Yesterday it started late in the second half and happened more in the second half.

lol. When Titans scored their late try, you could have heard a pin drop. Not too many GCers there.

Dragon David

First Grade
Takeaways for me

As alluded to by several posters the team was indeed divided those that play on the left played there those on the right played there those on the middle played there and those with a roving commission did that. FFS people come up with weird statements the team looked like a band of brothers and the coach’s box looked calm, united and happy all a big plus for us.

The much maligned signings all played out of their skin for their new club, teammates and coaching staff and all gelled very nicely.

5 hit ups and useless kick gone off the back of yardage and domination by our forwards.

No heads down after 20 minutes as they new they were physically winning the game and they maintained composure and then dominated.

Despite the shithouse and biased early refereeing we stayed calm and managed to take the referee out of the game by regrouping and not giving away dumb ass penalties and cheap 6 agains which showed trust in your fellow players doing their jobs.

Our backs had an enjoyable night playing behind some real grunt and their physicality lifted as a result.

Their 3 tries were all soft and are tbh are easily fixed where our tries had enterprise and skill.

Their big money “marquis” forwards who are always the darlings of the press Tino & Fifita were well contained and not allowed to dominate / intimidate whatsoever.

You've said everything I wish I was able to do OT. You've written it clearly and structured your post well. Good one OT.

jodragon40

Juniors
Takeaways for me

I cannot understand why people have to be personal when making comments about others it be uses me. I can understand that if we were commenting in regards to the Chinese and or the Nth Korean versions. Anyway fact is that since BBQ gate the team and club have been divided and our on field performances confirmed that. Savour every win but put into perspective we beat a team who may finish under us this season. Hopefully with the two new assistant coaches their input will be listened too and acted upon. It appeared that way last night. Let's just see what transpires after we lose a couple. I was impressed with our new signings each stood up and for the first time in 6 yrs 6 forwards ran for the required 100m in my day you needed 4 to run 100m to be competitive in a game. I believe Sloan confidence will grow with time young Sullivan did enough to keep his starting spot. Hunt was at his best and Liddle proved the doubters wrong. 38 missed tackles is still too many. I hope we can step up against the red hot Broncos at Suncorp the lads should be up for that. There is nothing more galvanising to a team to be written off before the start of the season and not up to NRL standards. Believe me try line defensive structures are not easily fixed but the return of JDB our best defensive forward will help he needs to be selected but not as a prop and his defensive position should be the A defender on the line next to the uprights. Just my views.

Old Timer

Coach
I cannot understand why people have to be personal when making comments about others it be uses me. I can understand that if we were commenting in regards to the Chinese and or the Nth Korean versions. Anyway fact is that since BBQ gate the team and club have been divided and our on field performances confirmed that. Savour every win but put into perspective we beat a team who may finish under us this season. Hopefully with the two new assistant coaches their input will be listened too and acted upon. It appeared that way last night. Let's just see what transpires after we lose a couple. I was impressed with our new signings each stood up and for the first time in 6 yrs 6 forwards ran for the required 100m in my day you needed 4 to run 100m to be competitive in a game. I believe Sloan confidence will grow with time young Sullivan did enough to keep his starting spot. Hunt was at his best and Liddle proved the doubters wrong. 38 missed tackles is still too many. I hope we can step up against the red hot Broncos at Suncorp the lads should be up for that. There is nothing more galvanising to a team to be written off before the start of the season and not up to NRL standards. Believe me try line defensive structures are not easily fixed but the return of JDB our best defensive forward will help he needs to be selected but not as a prop and his defensive position should be the A defender on the line next to the uprights. Just my views.
I'm not being personal merely pointing out what a collective thought and I posted my response to that.

This place abounds with negativity relating to something 5 minutes ago or to things from bygone era's.

For instance the BBQ is in the time of Vaughan, Norman, Dufty etc all polarising figures and all long gone but people keep trying to find ways to make it relative.

Those still with the team that did attend are now being influenced and guided by a totally different group of staff and players so that is what is relative not the loose cannons that left.

Just in this last wee period people eluding there are 2 camps with inferences that 1 is Hunt and the other Lomax yet no thought to the fact that Hunt & Lomax were 2 of only 3 that went to presentation night.

We as a group can find ways to bag out our players, staff, admin for the best of reasons but far too often for the silliest of reasons.

Lomax copping it because of the Frizz thing FFS a stupid action but from some time ago and has long been dealt with and then the "so called fight" with Amone FFS meaningless in the scope of things but how poor the memory is of the fellow with the "douche bag" attitude when he visited the little girl in the hospital and then held her hand on game day as he ran onto the field.

Time for us to

Ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive
E-lim-i-nate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mr. In-Between
No, don't mess with Mr. In-Between

You gotta spread joy up to the maximum
Bring gloom down to the minimum
And have faith, or pandemonium
Liable to walk upon the scene

Illusion

Bench
I'm not being personal merely pointing out what a collective thought and I posted my response to that.

This place abounds with negativity relating to something 5 minutes ago or to things from bygone era's.

For instance the BBQ is in the time of Vaughan, Norman, Dufty etc all polarising figures and all long gone but people keep trying to find ways to make it relative.

Those still with the team that did attend are now being influenced and guided by a totally different group of staff and players so that is what is relative not the loose cannons that left.

Just in this last wee period people eluding there are 2 camps with inferences that 1 is Hunt and the other Lomax yet no thought to the fact that Hunt & Lomax were 2 of only 3 that went to presentation night.

We as a group can find ways to bag out our players, staff, admin for the best of reasons but far too often for the silliest of reasons.

Lomax copping it because of the Frizz thing FFS a stupid action but from some time ago and has long been dealt with and then the "so called fight" with Amone FFS meaningless in the scope of things but how poor the memory is of the fellow with the "douche bag" attitude when he visited the little girl in the hospital and then held her hand on game day as he ran onto the field.

Time for us to

Old mate too much love there , your scaring me ......
Time for us to

Last edited:

Dragons4me

Juniors
Takeaways for me

Great read OT and spot on.
Enjoyed Blake Lawrie's very funny post match interview and tongue in cheek comments about McCullough too. I'm liking him more and more. Glad I don't have to play against him.
And how good to see our mighty Red V jerseys?? God I love them so much.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I'm extremely happy with the win. As an old coach I just analyse the game and players. Like I said nothing personal I think it was high time for more juniors to be handed a 1st grade start. I'm hoping that we can work on that try line defence ala the 2009 - 2011 team. Bennett's philosophy was keeping the opposition to under 16 points a game and the attack will gel and you will win more than you lose. Let's see what next week's game brings against a red hot Broncos in Bne . I don't expect to win but be competitive and build upon tonight's confidence boosting victory.
I thought it was a surprising and positive display, arm grabbers though lurk in the line which could be the issue if top 8 is the target. Mbye, Hunt, Sullivan, Bird and sometimes even Lawrie…all miss too many tackles.

Illusion

Bench
Great read OT and spot on.
Enjoyed Blake Lawrie's very funny post match interview and tongue in cheek comments about McCullough too. I'm liking him more and more. Glad I don't have to play against him.
And how good to see our mighty Red V jerseys?? God I love them so much.
Mate what are you guys on ..... Far too much love going on here ...... :p