What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drama at Souffs - S Burgess gone (Morris safe?)

I Bleed Maroon

Referee

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are reportedly set to sack assistant coaches Sam Burgess and John Morris as the drama engulfing the club steps up a notch.
The Sydney Morning Herald reports the Rabbitohs are set to inform Burgess and Morris their services are no longer required.
It comes after it was reported the pair were concerned that Demetriou wasn’t tough enough superstar duo Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker — and that they were actually receiving preferential treatment.
Watch every game of every round of the 2023 NRL Telstra Premiership Season LIVE on Kayo Sports. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >>>
Round 26
NRL

864898_640x360_large_20230822082823.jpg

Rabbitohs 'have fallen off a cliff' | 02:01

According to the Herald, club powerbrokers spent most of Tuesday in meetings and it is expected the Rabbitohs will see out the rest of the season without Burgess and Morris on the coaching staff.

Burgess was already finishing up with the club this year after signing on as head coach of Super League club Warrington Wolves, while Morris’ two-year contract finishes at the end of the season.
Morris has been linked to an assistant role under Benji Marshall at the Wests Tigers.
It tops off a dramatic day for the Rabbitohs where Demetriou was forced to apologise to his playing group after it was revealed he had liked a comment on social media that criticised two of his players.

864892_640x360_large_20230822080322.jpg

Should Latrell challenge suspension? | 00:45

The concerns around Mitchell and Walker’s treatment have reportedly been bubbling away for months but came to a head after Sunday’s 29-10 loss to the Knights.
Walker had a quiet game by his standards and while Mitchell had some good moments he was well below his best too.
Mitchell also finished the game in the sin bin for an unecessary elbow to the back of the head of Tyson Frizell and has since accepted a one-game suspension for the incident.
The loss was just four days after Mitchell was invited up on stage at country singer Luke Combs’ concert to chug a beer.
The video of him doing that has reportedly rubbed some at the Rabbitohs the wrong way.

Pretty shocking that even a supposed club legend like Sam Burgess can be turfed out just like that (he was already departing anyway so that probably contributed). Clearly Mitchell and Walker have the run of the joint by having JD wrapped around their fingers. Pretty strange they have so much clout considering both of them have achieved f**k all in recent times. Any internal criticism of them and the people speaking out lose their jobs almost immediately? Oof.

It looks like a whole heap of finger pointing over their late season collapse to me. Rusty should break out the Colosseum and just let them all go at it at this rate because even if they do sneak into the finals, they're cooked game meat. The Sombreros are going to have some fun next weekend.

Last edited:

yobbo84

First Grade
Well, it was a fun decade, but considering I was 28 years old before I saw my club even win a finals match, I've got a shirtload of experience to fall back on.

Buckle up, SOBs! Tigers? Dragons? Pppft. No-one does drama like we do.

Thread title misleading, just nrl 360 hype at this stage.

Not quite. Whilst the article quoted by the OP is from Fox Sports, that article is based on story published by the Sydney Morning Herald -

As such that is a completely different entity with no ties to News Ltd, and the Fox Sports article is citing is as the source of its own reporting.

Nutz

Bench
Not quite. Whilst the article quoted by the OP is from Fox Sports, that article is based on story published by the Sydney Morning Herald -

As such that is a completely different entity with no ties to News Ltd, and the Fox Sports article is citing is as the source of its own reporting.
Fair call.
Adding to what I said we'll probably wake up in the morning and Morris will be announced as WT new assistant coach.
Nothing surprises me anymore in league.
Apparently the salary cap is fair and every club abides by it and contracts are a binding document. :)

Kilkenny

Coach
What a mess.

A must win game against there arch rivals, who have won there last four or so.

Personally, I don’t think given the upheaval and form the Bunnies are in, they can beat the Roosters.

Cowboys will bounce back against the Dolphins so it is certainly going to come down to the last round. Not sure what Ivan Cleary’s intentions are in respect of the Cowboys game, whether he intends to rest on mass. A lot may depend on the outcome of the Broncos games I guess.