What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Dropped to Park Footy"

betcats

Referee
On the back of Chris Sandow being dropped to the NSW Cup in Round 18, the mainstream media has been referring to the NSW Cup as Park Football.

I honestly don't understand how most people in the general public and media see the State Cup competition as nothing more than Park Football. The lack of respect and coverage given to the competition is embarrassing. The same can be said for the Under 20s Holden Cup competition.

The question –*What is your view of the NSW Cup and the Under 20s Holden Cup competitions?

They are just doing it to make the story sound more dramatic or whatever imo, like "Park Football" sounds a lot lower and less professional then "Reserve grade" or "NSW cup".

It is just journos bieng journos.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Hopefully the day comes when my idea of the Qld cup champs and NSW cup champs can play off as a curtain raiser to the grand final or something, then we'll see if there's much difference between the two comps.

Would be hard to gauge off the one game. the WCC is generally close but we all know the NRL as a whole is a shitload stronger than the ESL.

Especially with the Storm/Sharks being able to field such a strong side at full strength.

Still a good idea though. Only thing is the NSWRL might see it as devaluing the NSW Cup, as their top 2 sides dont get to play it out on GF day.

Anyone know what the crowd was for Newtown's most recent home game?

It was last Sat against Wenty, sunny but cool. Would have been about 1000/1500 there.

When we play Norths or Balmain (last year) and it's a sunny day we can get upwards of 2000/2500

Few weeks back we played Cronulla in the pissing rain and there would have been 200/300 due to very little cover at the ground.

POPEYE

Coach
Stuart still has to win 3 more games to match Kearney and Sandow will find the going just as tough in 'park footy', maybe the coach should join him and let Parish have a go. The Cronulla 'park' team would be too tough for any team Sticky coaches

Springs

First Grade
It is reserve grade ffs

Newtown - Roosters
Wenty - Eels
Cutters - Merge
Windsor - Panthers
Mounties - Raiders
Vulcans - Warriors
Bulldogs
Knights
Sea Eagles
Tigers
Norths - Rabbits
Sharks - Sharks/Storm

A reserve grade is different from feeder clubs. Just the fact that two different teams use one feeder club means it isn't a reserve grade.

Eels players shouldn't be playing in different colours on the weekend. We should have Parra first grade and Parra reserve grade. Same jerseys, same ground, same day. Make it a full club again and f**k off this U20s shit.

Doomednow

Bench
I quite like the different colours and names for NSW cup sides. Gives those teams identities other than "those guys who aren't good enough for firsts.

BennyV

Referee
I like watching NSW Cup when I can; there's some very entertaining play, no video ref, very little wrestle and generally a lot of good tries!

Perth Red

Post Whore
A reserve grade is different from feeder clubs. Just the fact that two different teams use one feeder club means it isn't a reserve grade.

Eels players shouldn't be playing in different colours on the weekend. We should have Parra first grade and Parra reserve grade. Same jerseys, same ground, same day. Make it a full club again and f**k off this U20s shit.

Do you not think there needs to be a stepping stone between sg ball and reserve grade?

juro

Bench
They are just doing it to make the story sound more dramatic or whatever imo, like "Park Football" sounds a lot lower and less professional then "Reserve grade" or "NSW cup".

It is just journos bieng journos.
Reminds me of the way the journos carried on about Benji being dropped. He wasn't dropped, he started the game on the bench.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The term "park footy" has been thrown around since the NSW Cup was basically matches played at local grounds.

I can understand them using the term, but I dont like it cause its an insult to anyone playing in those matches as it is the next level down to First Grade.

But this is a real concern, as a lot of people are confused as what is the next level down, NSW and QLD CUp or U 20s.

To me they should bring back the reserve grade matches played before the first grade and the Under 20s should be Under 23s.

We've probably seen a lot of promising players over the age of 20, struggling to make his way into any team, let alone first grade, as the player hasnt quite reached his potential and I dont know if park footy would help much, playing in front of 20 people compared to the 5,000 or 6,000 people who turn up early before the big game.

I reckon a lot of us saw this coming when they introduced the U20s in 2008.

I totally agree. The game really lost something when we lost the reserve grade competition.

As has been pointed out a few times , we haven't lost reserve grade.

What we have lost is reserve grade being played before FG and playing in the same colours as the FG team.

Perhaps the NSW cup teams could all play a 3 or so games a year before the FG team to establish more of a a connection.

But I agree with others , I quite like that these teams have their own identities.

BennyV

Referee
As has been pointed out a few times , we haven't lost reserve grade.

What we have lost is reserve grade being played before FG and playing in the same colours as the FG team.

Perhaps the NSW cup teams could all play a 3 or so games a year before the FG team to establish more of a a connection.

But I agree with others , I quite like that these teams have their own identities.

I disagree - as much as they are feeder clubs, they aren't really connected to the first grade squad. The two squads dont train together, it's only those members who are part of the first grade 'squad' who train with them most of the week, the rest train separately. Half of the NSW Cup team isn't registered or contract with the first grade club.

I disagree - as much as they are feeder clubs, they aren't really connected to the first grade squad. The two squads dont train together, it's only those members who are part of the first grade 'squad' who train with them most of the week, the rest train separately. Half of the NSW Cup team isn't registered or contract with the first grade club.

Well , that's certainly not the case at the panthers/wolves.

I'd say most of the Windsor team that play are Penrith contracted.

This is likely because we are now injecting under 20's players into Windsor , I think that's a theme you'll see spread amongst other teams.

rabbitohs95

Bench

This is likely because we are now injecting under 20's players into Windsor , I think that's a theme you'll see spread amongst other teams.

Definitely seen in Norths/Souths as well, this year we've had Dylan Walker and Aaron Gray from the 20's come up as well as Cameron McInnes as 18th man for the other week, definitely helpful for Souths bringing players up.

azsportza

Live Update Team
Hopefully the day comes when my idea of the Qld cup champs and NSW cup champs can play off as a curtain raiser to the grand final or something, then we'll see if there's much difference between the two comps.

We will get to see something like that at least with the "best" NSW Cup players playing the QLD Cup/Residents as the curtain raiser on Wednesday night before Origin 3.

azsportza

Live Update Team

This won't matter too much as in 2014 the Penrith Panther are entering their own NSW Cup team.

Matrix

Juniors
The nrl needs to get back to a proper reserve grade with every nrl club having a team and playing the games before the nrl,imo.This rubbish of cronulla and melbourne having a combined reserve grade team would not happen in any other sport.Could you imagine man utd and liverpool or collingwood and Essendon sharing a reserve team,not bloody likely.

Latest posts