What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dt: more mormon stuff

spiderdan

Bench
sorry if this has already been posted.....

Religion comes first for Folau

By Josh Massoud
August 30, 2007 MELBOURNE sensation Israel Folau is poised to walk away from his burgeoning rugby league career to pursue a two-year long Mormon mission overseas.
Arguably the hottest prospect unearthed this season, the deeply religious 18-year-old has told The Daily Telegraph he could temporarily quit the game in just over 12 months.
"You've got be 18 or 19 to do the mission, so I guess it's something I'm thinking about along with my football career," Folau said.
"I've still got to make a decision about it for next year. It's possible I could do it next year."
Having burst on to the scene with 20 tries in his debut season, Folau is a hot tip to be crowned Rookie of the Year at next Tuesday nights Dally M Awards.
Carried out on thunderous thighs, his feats have prompted comparison with the great Mal Meninga.
But when it comes to fulfilling one of his religion's most fundamental requirements, the rampaging three-quarter isn't fazed by the stardom that awaits.
Should Folau decide to spread the message of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from next year, it is likely his mission will start after the season because he is contracted with the Storm until 2008.
"It's not something we have to do - it's up to the individual whether they go," Folau explained.
"Some of my brothers have done it, so there is a bit of pressure to go. My mum reckons I should go.
"I'll have to spend two years promoting the Mormon religion in another country or around Australia.
"It's something I've always planned to do, but now football has come along. At the end of the day it's entirely my decision whether I go or not."
Melbourne recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan - who scouted Folau in Brisbane three years ago - confirmed the mission could be imminent.
"It might happen next year - that is a possibility," O'Sullivan said.
Folau's best mate is Parramatta's Krisnan Inu - a fellow rookie star and Mormon.
The pair attended the same church in Sydney's south-west as children and, like Folau, Inu is also giving serious thought to suspending his career to complete the mission.
Folau said the pair had "not talked much" about undertaking the trip together.
It is understood Inu was intent on leaving before the current season and had to be convinced by Eels officials to stay.
Storm CEO Brian Waldron is similarly keen to retain Folau beyond next season.
"I think Israel is incredibly important, not only to Melbourne, but also rugby league," Waldron said.
"To grow the profile of the game we need heroes and there's no doubt Israel is developing a cult following on the back of what he has achieved this year."

<A class=image href="http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/?from=ni_story"">
h14_dailytelegraph.gif

<A href="http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22329367-23214,00.html">http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22329367-23214,00.html

Gronk

Staff member
FFS, those two can reach more people via NRL than he can by riding a bike through some village in Vietnam.

Junior 5

Juniors
I had already been on the greatest footy site going "Parra's" and thought I would take alook at a few others like Souths,Melbourne and had just finished reading that article on the Melbourne site and was going to post it when I saw my friend "Spider" had done it. Guess I'm just not quick enough.

parra pete

Referee
Another gun, Albert Hopoate walked away from the game to become a missionary..about two years ago..

jayjayselmes

Juniors
lets be honest. Folau and Inu's family are living below the bread line.

Theres no way in a pigs ass these 2 blokes will walk away from football. Its all hype and bull$hit.

Common man as if they are both going to walk away from $250,000 - $300,000 per season to become a friggin dude on one of the little bicycle's that turn up to your door step in a white shirt and black tie.

Stagger eel

Staff member
jayjayselmes said:

Theres no way in a pigs ass these 2 blokes will walk away from football. Its all hype and bull$hit.

Common man as if they are both going to walk away from $250,000 - $300,000 per season to become a friggin dude on one of the little bicycle's that turn up to your door step in a white shirt and black tie.

first of all, how the hell would you know what the financial status of both families are and to some people being in touch with their spiritual side may mean more to them than the glory of running around with a football.

parra pete

Referee
eelavation said:
first of all, how the hell would you know what the financial status of both families are and to some people being in touch with their spiritual side may mean more to them than the glory of running around with a football.

Well said Eela. :clap: Not everyone's life revolves around money...Thank God....

Living on dreams ain't easy
But the closer the knit the tighter the fit
And the chills stay away
You can take them in stride, for family pride

You know that faith in your foundation
And with a whole lot of love and a warm conversation
And a prayer making you strong
Where you belong

sooperdooper

First Grade
parra pete said:
Another gun, Albert Hopoate walked away from the game to become a missionary..about two years ago..

Albert was a star in flegg...we will never know how good he really was

Suitman

Post Whore
jayjayselmes said:

I really can't believe you said that.

Maybe if you took a little time to reflect, you might not come out with such outrageous statements.

Suity

carson

Juniors
If we all convert to mormon then the mission would become redundant and they would have to stay....problem solved.

Mormon isn't a circumcision thing is it?

Eelectrica

Referee
Falau can go selling Mormoninsm all over the universe for all I care - he doesn't play for Parra.

But with Inu though - If all they have to do is Promote Mormonism for two years, could we get something on his jersey, like a sponsership thing.
Maybe somewhere in his jersey he could have a link to the official mormon website.

Also I guess at Parra stadium they have the players photo on the screen before the game starts as the team is read out to the crowd? Well anyway on his photo they could have the official Mormon slogan, as well as the link to their website. He will be promoting Mormonism big time then.

Don't ask me if I'm serious or not because I'm not entirely certain. Just looking for a loophole in this thing.

carson

Juniors
If the Leagues club embraced the mormon faith could it obtain tax free status and dodge all the poker machine taxes?

jayman

Juniors
i dont think somepeople think b4 they post here... srsly...

how anyone can compare money and religion..a subjective comment.. is beyond me..

there should be an uppercut emoticon here.. note to admins

carson

Juniors
because there has never been any links between money and religion, just ask the good people at sanitarium.

but I think all this was covered in another thread a few months ago.

jayman

Juniors
of course there are links.. but someone here made a comment about this players dedication to his faith over money..

iam saying how can anyone make a comment about such a thing without being in the mind of the player himself..

football is not the be all and end all..

his faith was there b4 he made first grade.. and will be there after he finishs his career..

iam not religious at all.. so dont get me wrong.. iam just pointing out a obvious fact..

carson

Juniors
jayman said:
of course there are links.. but someone here made a comment about this players dedication to his faith over money..

iam saying how can anyone make a comment about such a thing without being in the mind of the player himself..

football is not the be all and end all..

his faith was there b4 he made first grade.. and will be there after he finishs his career..

iam not religious at all.. so dont get me wrong.. iam just pointing out a obvious fact..

Sorry didn't realise you were responding to Jay Jay.

Not quite sure he is as stupid as he seems, I think he just likes to go fishing alot and if you have read a few of the threads he has been involved in you will see that he seems to catch the same fish every time.

Just ignore him and he goes away.