What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT: Tahu granted centre wish

lucablight

First Grade
Tahu granted centre wish

By James Hooper

November 11, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

NEW Parramatta coach Michael Hagan has smoothed over his first potential problem at the Eels by guaranteeing Timana Tahu a starting centre spot and opening new contract talks with the NSW Origin star.

Hagan's move has quashed any possible pre-season tension after the Eels officially returned to training duties yesterday for the 2007 season.

Tahu initially flagged the signing of Hagan as a possible problem last December after being restricted to spending most of his time on the wing when the pair were in Newcastle.

But the former Novocastrians were both all smiles at Parramatta Stadium after a meeting last week dissolved any underlying tension.

"We've had a meeting last week, I met with all the players individually," Hagan said. "I got a fair idea of what their expectations are and Timana wants to establish himself as an outright centre in the game.

"Even at rep level he's been used on the wing a fair bit but I think he's looking to establish himself more in the centres. We're certainly happy to accommodate his wishes."

Hagan revealed the Eels had opened new contract talks with Tahu, whose current deal expires at the end of this season, with the club seeking to extend terms with the NSW star until the end of 2009.

Tahu suggested he was happy to adopt a wait-and-see approach to negotiations into next season as he eases his way back into the NRL after major knee surgery.

source:http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20735237-5006066,00.html

MrT

Juniors
That's the indication I got last night onthe news. I know it might not mean a lot but he wasn't jumping out of his skin to re-sign. I have a feeling he'll go to open market. He knows what he can get

strider

Post Whore
mmmm - he didn't look overly keen to re-sign .... altho maybe thats just how he is???

but of course he was gonna be a centre this yr under hages - apart from promoting some kid what alternative is there?

Gronk

Staff member
Tate right for code switch

Peter Badel

November 26, 2006 12:00am

QUEENSLAND and Test star Brent Tate has revealed he is prepared to consider a shock switch to rugby union as the ARU hatches plans to launch its latest raid on the NRL's elite.

The Sunday Mail has learnt Parramatta strike weapon Timana Tahu is also contemplating defecting to Australia's Rugby World Cup campaign in 2011.:shock:

The Wallabies' diabolical tour of Europe has spotlighted the lack of depth in Australian rugby, prompting ARU boss Gary Flowers to reveal the code's high-performance unit had discussed pilfering rugby league talent after next year's World Cup.

Tate, who is off contract at the end of next season, has never played rugby.

But the 24-year-old says his next deal will be potentially the most important of his career and he would consider any Australian Rugby Union interest.

"I have next year at the Broncos and I'm happy there but I'd certainly be open to it (joining rugby). If the ARU was keen, I'd have a look at it," said Tate, who played for the Kangaroos in last night's Tri-Nations final against the Kiwis.

"There's a lot of things to consider. It would be a big decision to go but it doesn't matter if it's another league club or rugby union, you have to be professional and look at it.

"It's a professional age now. I know better than anybody that it could end tomorrow. (Tate wears a special neck brace after a series of career-threatening injuries).

"It's a business now, both from the clubs' and the players' point of view, and you have to make a business decision."

Tate revealed he seriously considered leaving the Broncos in 2002, the year Justin Hodges rocked the club by joining the Roosters.

Since then Tate has won a grand final and played for Queensland and Australia.

"There's still a fair bit I'd like to achieve in league, but I'd look at other options," he said.

"I like rugby, I reckon it's a good game. I'm good mates with LT (Wallabies and NSW flyer Lote Tuqiri) and I watch the Super 14 and Test matches."

ARU high-performance manager Pat Wilson said he would talk to any National Rugby League player who was the right fit for the 15-a-side code.

"From our perspective the door is open for any league player who can make the transition to supplement the talent we already possess," he said.

"In saying that, we have some great kids coming through our own system and that's where our focus remains."

Former Wallaby Wendell Sailor, who played with Tate at the Broncos, said the Maroons three-quarter would be a revelation in rugby and urged Reds coach Eddie Jones to make a play for him.

"Brent is a natural. He'd be a sensation in rugby," Sailor said. "The Broncos would be crazy to let Brent go but if I was Eddie Jones I'd be having a serious look at Tatey.

"He's coming into the prime of his career. He runs great lines and he can play centre or wing."

http://www.news.com.au/sundaymail/story/0,23739,20820588-10389,00.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
My gut feeling after reading that is that he'll go, if he does so be it..he'll be 28,The likes of Inu, Tony Williams, Tautai and Lett could well be ready to step up and replace him or else we'd have 300K odd to spend on another centre.

The last thing I want to do is worry about it now, we're still months away from the start of the 07 premiership

MrT

Juniors
Just hope the club do the right thing and make him make a decision early as we don't want to lose Inu. We have great emerging talent in the centres, Tahu would be covered for, but his talents would definately be missed.
At least he won't be going to another NRL club

Avenger

Immortal
Tahu has a clause in his favour, for an additional year. That clause is valid at the end of 2007. So of we are lucky we may have him for 2008. 2009 and beyond is more then enough time for him to learn about Union seeing that the World Cup is in 2011.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:
Tahu has a clause in his favour, for an additional year. That clause is valid at the end of 2007. So of we are lucky we may have him for 2008. 2009 and beyond is more then enough time for him to learn about Union seeing that the World Cup is in 2011.

sure, but if he expresses a desire to go at the end of 07 we need to be sensible about it and not get into a bidding war with the ARU, as good a player as T is he's very replaceble and some of the kids coming through could well be at his level in 08/09.

Just remember T will start his Union career at 28 so as an elite player he wouldn't exactly be on the upward spiral at that time.

Elia

Juniors
hmm... i guess it's his decision, whatever the outcome, i'll be happy for we'll be happy for him... it's just gonna be sad to see him go..IF he goes..which i don't want to happen.. but we'll "wait- and-see"

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
sure, but if he expresses a desire to go at the end of 07 we need to be sensible about it and not get into a bidding war with the ARU, as good a player as T is he's very replaceble and some of the kids coming through could well be at his level in 08/09.

Just remember T will start his Union career at 28 so as an elite player he wouldn't exactly be on the upward spiral at that time.

He's no Luke o' Dwyer, he's a freak of an athlete who has incredible ability. If he's so replacable who would you replace him with being realistic?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
He's no Luke o' Dwyer, he's a freak of an athlete who has incredible ability. If he's so replacable who would you replace him with being realistic?

you don't have to tell what sort of an athlete he is, I'm well aware of his attributes and what he's capable of on the field, but if we're taliking about 2008 I could name half a dozen young outside backs that could fill the void if need be it.

so I'd like to ask you would you sacrifise an Inu, Tautai or Lett now to outbid the ARU and potentially pay more for T than what he's already on baring in mind that he'll be wanting a 3 to 4 years deal and he'll be in his early 30's by the time he completes that deal while the players I've mentioned would be in their early 20's probably making a name of themselves at another club?

I'd be more than happy to see T finish his career here, all I'm saying is that we need to be sensible about it and not bow down to offers he may recieve from the ARU, SL or Souths. I wouldn't pay him anymore than his on now.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
you don't have to tell what sort of an athlete he is, I'm well aware of his attributes and what he's capable of on the field, but if we're taliking about 2008 I could name half a dozen young outside backs that could fill the void if need be it.

so I'd like to ask you would you sacrifise an Inu, Tautai or Lett now to outbid the ARU and potentially pay more for T than what he's already on baring in mind that he'll be wanting a 3 to 4 years deal and he'll be in his early 30's by the time he completes that deal while the players I've mentioned would be in their early 20's probably making a name of themselves at another club?

I'd be more than happy to see T finish his career here, all I'm saying is that we need to be sensible about it and not bow down to offers he may recieve from the ARU, SL or Souths. I wouldn't pay him anymore than his on now.

Who?, as i said being realistic. Only players that come to mind are Gasnier, Cooper, Tate, Hodges, Hunt......and they all come with a hefty price tag aswell.

Inu, Lett are still unproven, and i'm sure you stated previously the gap between firsts and Premier League. I understand your point, no different probably to the Lyon scenario with Tonga, however Tahu is our most dynmaic player, and one of the most dynamic players in the world, so in that regard he's not very replacable.

If we were to be realistic, we need to blood the likes of Inu, Lett straight away to give us some comparison, then we can predict how they'll succed in firsts.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
Who?, as i said being realistic. Only players that come to mind are Gasnier, Cooper, Tate, Hodges, Hunt......and they all come with a hefty price tag aswell.

Inu, Lett are still unproven, and i'm sure you stated previously the gap between firsts and Premier League. I understand your point, no different probably to the Lyon scenario with Tonga, however Tahu is our most dynmaic player, and one of the most dynamic players in the world, so in that regard he's not very replacable.

If we were to be realistic, we need to blood the likes of Inu, Lett straight away to give us some comparison, then we can predict how they'll succed in firsts.

Ron, it's December 2006 and you're worried about something that may happen in March 2008. as for your little comment on who??? I guess you were asking the same question December 2005 about a kid named Hayne????

I'll remind you again..MY! opinion is that Tahu will be less a priority in 2008 when he's 28 years of age than he would be now and we shouldn't be paying more than what he's on now.

Latest posts