What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dylan Brown

Yea agree. I really rate Brown as a 6 and would have him over Metcalf in an instant if the opportunity came up.

A halves pairing of TMM and Brown (one day hopefully referred to only as DB) with CHT transitioning to 13 and eventually replacing Tohu would make for a promising mix.

Matiunz

Juniors
One-off (that I know of), I wouldn't blame too much value on that
I’ve got a mate with connections to Parra Juniors who has seen him in a pretty messy state himself a few times and the feeling was that he was a ‘matter of time before there was an incident’. Hopefully he’s turned it around after this though

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Apparently informed Eels that he will not be taking up his player option for 2026. Potentially seeking an early release.
I'm still keen. I think he'll mature at the right club into a hell of a good player - I mean he can play now, he's a Kiwis international, but take that next step up as a leader and a consistent force.

sup42

Juniors
Given we've had Lodge, AFB, Walker, Curran, Walsh and now possibly Brown through the club in recent years (that list's not based on my personal judgements, just blokes who have been through the Courts or caught out committing crimes) I'd say we're miles from having ever had a no dickheads policy.

Even if you're just talking about who we've signed since Webster came along, Walker would have to be one of the most high-risk blokes you could sign. If you extend it to on-field stuff, Barnett is/was widely regarded as one of the biggest hotheads around too.

If anything we've been more of a "bad blokes come here and hopefully behave themselves" club.
AFB has history

sup42

Juniors
SJ retires, and we bring Brown in

6 Brown
7 TMM

Yes please.

No brainner with Martin playing so well at Seven.

Brown would bring a half way decent kicking game to add to Te Maire's developing kicking game.

Both are halves that play direct, so they would radically change the Warriors game play style to a more assertive reactive game play that reads what the defence is doing.

This is critical when you consider the freak talent the Warriors are sitting on in their reserves and Junior power running forwards.

At the moment with our uber structured SJ ball, the NSW cup hard running Juniors are not going to shine under a game plan that is played wrote by numbers where only a select few targets get hit with ball into gaps....I am talking short balls to AFB and Niukore, whereby any Junior like Laban or Ale, or Maiúu, or Sifakula, are only going to be used to run decoys.

If you paired TMM with Brown, every runner is live, there is no scripted set up plays that ignore looking left for options.

I just think with the depth we have in running forwards coming through, the Warriors need to lean into their dna, Daniel Anderson ball, I mean how else do you get the best out of young fast impact forwards that have footwork? or tackle busting Centers like Moala and Ali who will be our future Center pairing.

SJ ball is contigent on him laying on the set up with his skill set.

TMM and Brown play a style where they do not do anything special apart from run at the line and pick a target with crisp ball that is in a better position than them....making their method of play harder to read than Johnsons game.

And TMM counts numbers where SJ does not so much, SJ has a brain wired from being better than anyone at attack, where he will create and then lay on a Try. Martin and Brown are card counters, they look outside their own bubble and send the ball to the weak side for someone else to create the try (which is where this club is heading when Dimitric Sifakula, Leka Halasima, and the Moala Graham Taufas of the world....those kids need a half that takes it to the line creating a half gap which they will destroy off a flat ball.

That attacking at the line play fits in well with Walkers game, where he plays fast flat balls at the line, and it fits in well with Egans new style where he does the same, plays those soft passes, the no look balls he does at the line which AFB feeds off....now imagine that game style being driven by the halves pairing of the Warriors, that would make us one of the best attacking sides in the NRL without losing much if anything in defence.

And it would be a natural playing style rather than needing template coaching, the type of game Webster talks about with his penchant for plans that suit the players rather than the other way around (and after three games in a row where Webster coached new line ups to beat the Panthers, Dolphins and then thrashed the Cowboys .

Often times our coaches mantras are nonsense, like process and all that crap. But no one can dismiss Websters mantra of using players strengths after he took three different line ups to three wins over top four and top eight sides.

Most of all that is New Zealand style Rugby league, a way of playing that our Junior stars understand, run, catch, tear through the half gap, offload.

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
Yes that’s what I’m saying. I wasn’t having a go at the club I was just stating factually that we’ve shown no disinclination to sign guys with disciplinary pasts.
yeah i got your point too.

We did ok with Brett Seymour while wore Warriors colours, even though he turned out to be a real bad egg, allegedly supplier to the Kiwis on tour.

SBW JWH Foran Luke and many others were fingered in that affair, I felt sorry for Stephen Kearney who has the best record of any NZ coach, only to find his players took downers and Red bull the night before....allegedly bought from Seymour....who later went into Rehab for a suicidal break down after multiple infractions on drug benders.

We have had some twits before.

Villa the Gorilla was fired from his first and only Kangaroo tour after players had their wallets stolen on tour.

I used to see Villa at Sky City betting his large salary all night and walking out the doors broke. Villa should have been a lifer for the Warriors.

Sione Faumuina is a whole other story, Knew him in real life...good guy dont get me wrong, booze problem.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
yeah i got your point too.

We did ok with Brett Seymour while wore Warriors colours, even though he turned out to be a woman basher and a drug dealer that sold pills to NRL and ESL players, he also sold the pills to the Kiwis on tour in England that ended in the infamous disgraceful thrashing in the final because half the Kiwis stars got stonned the Night before.

SBW JWH Foran Luke and many others were fingered in that affair, I felt sorry for Stephen Kearney who has the best record of any NZ coach, only to find his players took downers and Red bull the night before....allegedly bought from Seymour....who later went into Rehab for a suicidal break down after multiple infractions on drug benders.

We have had some twits before.

Villa the Gorilla was fired from his first and only Kangaroo tour after players had their wallets stolen on tour.

I used to see Villa at Sky City betting his large salary all night and walking out the doors broke. Villa should have been a lifer for the Warriors.

Sione Faumuina is a whole other story, Knew him in real life...good guy dont get me wrong, booze problem.
I’ve heard talk that B Smith has similar issues to what you described with Villa. That said- Steve Price had a bad pokie problem before he came to the Warriors and sorted himself out, so that precedent goes both ways.

Blair

Coach
If AFB plays out the rest of this season at his usual standard I’d say his signing has been a resounding success. Sure he’s required a bit of management but we’ve got our moneys worth.
We did, all things considered. Despite being an overgrown Karen he kept quiet off the field. He came here troubled.

Being replaced by Fisher-Harris means we didn't need his full contract. I wish him well next year.

Latest posts