What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dylan Farrell retirement

tumbidragon

First Grade
RL centre tweeted he's likely to retire from the game. Does he have a chronic injury that anyone knows of that may force this decision?

Last edited:
The following article was posted on the ABC's News website -

St George Illawarra's Dylan Farrell could be forced into NRL retirement with back injury

St George Illawarra centre Dylan Farrell could be forced into premature retirement due to a serious back injury.

Farrell managed only 13 NRL games in 2015 and is yet to return to preseason training.

"It is not looking great," Dragons coach Paul McGregor told News Corp.

"He can't lift his kids up so that is not a good thing.

"But I think (a decision on his future) is a few weeks away. He is only young."

If the 24-year-old, who has scored 32 tries in 92 games with South Sydney and the Dragons, does retire, it could open the door for New South Wales Origin full-back Josh Dugan to return to the centres.

Dugan is set to begin training in mid-December after undergoing neck surgery.

He scored nine tries in 10 matches in the position in 2014 and played there for the Blues before swapping back to the number one jersey in 2015.

Alternatively, the Dragons could pick up free agent Tim Lafai, who was released from Canterbury last week, or Peta Hiku, who is reportedly on the outer at Manly.

"I haven't spoken to Tim (Lafai) or his management," McGregor said.

"Obviously my recruitment will look at that (this week) because that has only now just come about.

"We have spoken to Peta Hiku, he has obviously got two other clubs interested.

"We have shown interest because he is certainly a quality footballer and for a player like that to come on the market so late and you have got room in your cap, you'd be silly not to have a look at that type of player."

The Dragons have already purchased outside backs Kurt Mann, Kalifa Faifai Loa and Adam Quinlan during the off-season.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sad to be in that state at age 24. Makes sense why he was not as effective last season.

What happens in terms of Salary cap if he does retire? Do Saints pay him out for his contract for this season and that cash gets included in the cap? Or once he announces his retirement Saints stop paying him altogether and can use the cash they were going to pay him for someone else? With Salary cap nobody knows how it works. To friggin confusing.

Lethal25

Juniors
Sad to be in that state at age 24. Makes sense why he was not as effective last season.

What happens in terms of Salary cap if he does retire? Do Saints pay him out for his contract for this season and that cash gets included in the cap? Or once he announces his retirement Saints stop paying him altogether and can use the cash they were going to pay him for someone else? With Salary cap nobody knows how it works. To friggin confusing.

If he retires then he will no longer form part of the salary cap. I understand that insurances will cover his contract

Wittenberg

Juniors
Posted on the forum towards the end of the season that he did have a long term back injury and that he came back too early and put off an operation because of our growing injury list. Pretty selfless if true, and my sources are close to him. A big commitment to our club. I hope he didn't read the Forum too often! Hope he recovers to live a proper life with his kids beyond football.

rainman44

Bench
Posted on the forum towards the end of the season that he did have a long term back injury and that he came back too early and put off an operation because of our growing injury list. Pretty selfless if true, and my sources are close to him. A big commitment to our club. I hope he didn't read the Forum too often! Hope he recovers to live a proper life with his kids beyond football.

Well said. I have cursed him all year, now I know why he went from speed machine at souths to dead set slow last year.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Pretty tough to come back to play nrl after back surgery. I know mini did it, but even though he was in great shape, it took him years to get back on the field. I'm pretty sure mini actually had a fusion.

Anyway all the best to Farrell.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
We did not get the best from Dylan Farrell and this injury must have been a contributing factor.
He should look after his life post football and ensure he does all to get the injury to a manageable level.
I wish him all the best for his future.

blacksafake

First Grade
I was one of the few on here who was happy that we signed him & still supported him to the end.It is obvious his back problem played a huge part in his decline in form whils with us.Having a bad back as well i can certainly understand the pain & effort he went through just to get on the field.I for one wish him all the best for the future.

SBD82

Coach
A lot of class being showed in this thread. Well done gents.

I was another that thought Farrell was disappointing for us. The injury makes a lot of sense. Good on him for going further in his career than I could have ever dreamed of doing. Hope he can get his back right and enjoy a high quality of life.

getsmarty

Immortal
We did not get the best from Dylan Farrell and this injury must have been a contributing factor.
He should look after his life post football and ensure he does all to get the injury to a manageable level.
I wish him all the best for his future.

Ditto...best wishes Dylan.

the_saints

Juniors
Farrell has agreed to retire to make way for James Roberts the announcement will come on Tuesday or Wednesday .. Unlucky mate good luck in the future it's a good thing you've done for the club and I hope you can still be apart of the team in some way

willzy91

Juniors
Farrell has agreed to retire to make way for James Roberts the announcement will come on Tuesday or Wednesday .. Unlucky mate good luck in the future it's a good thing you've done for the club and I hope you can still be apart of the team in some way

Source?

itsme

Juniors

Hahahaha

Latest posts