What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EA Sports Rugby 2005

Paullyboy

Coach
Its pretty fun when playing against mate, but geez louise 1 player is toooo easy. I used the Reds (rated one of the worst teams) and went through undefeated on super 12 in my first ever go at it.

I still havent even worked out how to when the ball in rucks either, very annoyed I didnt get Fight Night 2 instead :evil:

Dragon

Coach
Ive been playing world league on Normal, and its starting to get pretty boring. Ive scored some awesome tries from kicks (something that was near impossible in RL). The game plays exactly like rugby, and its a great game, but the fact that it aint league is the most dissapointing part.

knowsleyroader

Juniors
Have been playing it for a while now and am on season 2 of world league on normal.

Dont know how its going to go long, long term but at this moment in time I am enjoying playing it more than NRL1.

Dont know if its appeal will fade, but the movement and tackling etc just makes me want to play it more and am having difficulty playing NRL because it doesnt come anywhere close to feeling as much like Rugby as R2005.

One thing that does impress me is that I can never say I have conceded a try and been able to blame the AI or the fact that the computer wouldnt let me change player as in NRL1. If the AI scored its because I duffed up ( usually by pressing the dive tackle button ) how tempting is that ???

:lol:

Its so easy to bring players back on the inside and delay the ball etc. Unfortunately this is pretty difficult to do with NRL. If anything it feels more like ARL 96 but Union.

Goleel

Juniors
Mate play some multiplayer and the dodgy AI will start costing you tries, not letting you change to the fullback when a break is made, running defenders away from the ball carrier, and my favourite, the ET's Rugby style defense running in the same direction as the attack just letting them stroll through the line. Not to mention some very poor positioning by the wingers close to the line. The AI faults are there in defense, believe me.

Martli

Coach
Goleel said:
Mate play some multiplayer and the dodgy AI will start costing you tries, not letting you change to the fullback when a break is made, running defenders away from the ball carrier, and my favourite, the ET's Rugby style defense running in the same direction as the attack just letting them stroll through the line. Not to mention some very poor positioning by the wingers close to the line. The AI faults are there in defense, believe me.

Yeah, I rented the game and found all of those faults....

Paullyboy

Coach
Ive just started this world league and am getting owned on hard mode, geez its hard starting a team with those dud players isnt it! I just really wanna sign a player with some descent speed or with at least some ability to retain the ball when tackled, ah well.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Why can't rugby get a decent franchise mode instead of this bullshit world league?

knowsleyroader

Juniors
Goleel said:

To be honest I was thinking more close to the line ( I should have been more specific ). In NRL some tries are just unstopable because you cant select the needed player. This is far less apparent in Rugby 2005. That had to be one of my biggest gripes with NRL.

I mean it borders on ridiculous when there are tries scored that you just CANT stop no matter what you did ( or wernt allowed to do ).

Defending it much better in R2005. I try do do most of the defending myself anyway in Rugby games so I feel I have much more control in this game.

Im sure NRL2 will have this aspect fixed up though. Still think NRL was an amazing achievement for a first outing in the time allowed.

Forum Idiot

Bench
can anybody answer me these questions?:

1) Is it easier (especially for weaker teams) to win turnover the ball in the ruck. rucks were completely ridiculous last time around. are they any better this time?

2) Is it easier to kick in open play and from ruck ball?

3) Do the players run at constant speeds instead of dramatically slowing down after 30 or so meters?

Ghoulies

Bench
Forum Idiot said:
can anybody answer me these questions?:

1) Is it easier (especially for weaker teams) to win turnover the ball in the ruck. rucks were completely ridiculous last time around. are they any better this time?

2) Is it easier to kick in open play and from ruck ball?

3) Do the players run at constant speeds instead of dramatically slowing down after 30 or so meters?

1) Yes, but its still a lot harder with the weaker teams.

2) Kicking in open play is pretty simple.

3) They seem to always run at the same speed regardless of how long they've been running for.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
hasnt anyone noticed how these guys can run full speed and change direction without slowing down?!?!? i guess in rugby only the fittest and th most agile can play :roll:

kizzsc

Juniors
hey

has anyone recieved a penalty yet?
ive have play bout 6-8 games and have not even recieved a penalty, at all!
whats the go?

Timbo

Staff member
It's good, but the original PS2 rugby game played better IMO.

Although it dominates the last one.

Paullyboy

Coach
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
hasnt anyone noticed how these guys can run full speed and change direction without slowing down?!?!? i guess in rugby only the fittest and th most agile can play :roll:

I looked out for this specifically because you've mentioned it twice now and dont think its quite as bad as you seem to think it is. They do change direction quite easily but Ive got no issue with it.

As for the penalty question, Ive received a few, but its got nothing on the 500 offside penalties Ive had.

sunny

had a go at rugby 2005 with me mate on his xbox the other day, and it was pretty crap. Then again, I'm no good at xbox with its controller the size of queensland and the 12984 buttons on it, so I'll have to reserve my proper verdict on it until i play it on ps2.

Goleel

Juniors
Hard mode still makes rucks ridiculously hard to win, you can't recycle posession at all.

Kicking is easy to do but broken, kicks don't get enough distance unless in side view mode, which is an absolute joke.

Players still slow down, but not as drastically and after a longer run.

The cutting on a dime is a joke, try it in multiplayer, it makes one on one defense far more difficult than it should be, and in a single player game its real easy to use the incredible agility of these players to step around the fullback.

I've copped a few penalties, although I think all of them are penalty tries when they collapse scrums close to the line. Never offside, never with hands in the ruck, basically penalties only exist for your team. Joke.

Latest posts