What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eagles push to sign Hopoate

chileman

Coach
"By Brent Read
July 28, 2005

A GRASSROOTS campaign has begun to have controversial Manly winger John Hopoate reinstated at the club when his 17-week suspension ends this weekend.

0,5001,5031373,00.jpg
Sidelined ... Hoppa hasn't played since March. Pic: Sam Ruttyn
Manly fans yesterday launched a petition on the club's website calling for Hopoate to be given another chance amid reports the Sea Eagles were ready to throw the 31-year-old a lifeline.

Chief executive Pat Wilson distanced himself from the speculation yesterday, however, Manly owner Max Delmege is a Hopoate fan and said he would support his career revival.

The final decision will rest with coach Des Hasler and the club's board.

"I have a lot of admiration for Hoppa as a guy, a family man and footballer," Delmege said. "At the end of the day I think any decision on Hoppa returning would have to be made by the coach and sanctioned by the board."

The Sea Eagles sacked Hopoate in March when he was banned for striking Sharks forward Keith Galloway, the latest in a string of indiscretions involving the former New South Wales and Australia winger.

Hopoate found solace in the boxing ring and is scheduled to make his professional debut next month in Sydney.

Hasler was unavailable for comment last night, however, Wilson indicated he had spoken with the Manly coach about Hopoate.

He said the club had no plans - at the moment - to sign Hopoate. The club would need to apply to the NRL to have Hopoate re-registered.

"Nothing is happening in that regard at this point in time," Wilson said.

"It's not an issue because we're not seeking re-registration at this stage."

Asked whether he and Hasler had discussed Hopoate, Wilson said: "Des as a coach is allowed to explore a whole lot of different options."

Hopoate's manager Wayne Beavis is in the United States and last night told The Australian he was unaware of any moves to revive Hopoate's rugby league career.

News of Hopoate's possible return came as Hasler attempted to inject some life into his side's flagging season by taking the Sea Eagles squad into camp on NSW's Central Coast.

Manly has lost its past four games and defeat on Sunday - against North Queensland at Brookvale Oval - would likely see the club drop out of the top eight for the first time this season.

Hasler, aware of the importance of the match, has secreted his squad away for two days.

"I think it's to get the guys focused on the Cowboys game," Wilson said.

"Des had an opportunity to look at it the other week and thought it would be appropriate.

"They've just gone to review how the season is going, what the issues are, how they can improve the performance and to get them to focus.

"We have to regain some momentum and hopefully this week is the start of that."

The Sea Eagles have looked sadly out of touch since their round 15 win over Newcastle, losing successive games to the Bulldogs, Wests Tigers, Penrith and St George Illawarra.

Those defeats have left Hasler's side with a loose grip on eighth spot just weeks from the finals. "There's no easy games for us heading into September," Wilson said."

foxsports.news.com.au

Mzilikazi

Juniors
lotti said:
I know, I wish someone other than Max would listen to us fans.
You "fans" are the fools that have foisted Captain Calamity Monaghan on us for big bucks for a further three years.

Currently 75% of Manly fans at read the guidelines are against Hopoate coming back. So maybe Max should listen to them?

Give yourself an uppercut you clown. If you ran the club it wouldn't have a future beyond the next 12 months.

chileman

Coach
Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler today ended a week of grossly exaggerated media reports that former winger John Hopoate would return for the final month of the premiership.

"Suggestions that John Hopoate would play for Manly again are simply unfounded - the club informed the N.R.L. last Monday that it was a non issue and nothing has changed since then," Hasler said.

Hasler said he remained very much a "fan" of Hopoate's footballing ability.

"I have both played with and coached John Hopoate and there is no doubting the inspiration and passion he brings to a side but John will not be rejoining the team.

"The pain that he and his family - and the Manly club would be forced to endure - doesn't make it feasible. It would be about every other issue rather than football.

"I want to make it clear that John is always welcome at our football club and I know when he steps into the ring for his first professional fight that all his team mates will be in his corner. On behalf of the players and the club we wish him the best in his boxing career" Hasler said. www.manlyseaeagles.com.au

Case closed!

Slugs

chileman said:
Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler today ended a week of grossly exaggerated media reports that former winger John Hopoate would return for the final month of the premiership.

"Suggestions that John Hopoate would play for Manly again are simply unfounded - the club informed the N.R.L. last Monday that it was a non issue and nothing has changed since then," Hasler said.

Hasler said he remained very much a "fan" of Hopoate's footballing ability.

"I have both played with and coached John Hopoate and there is no doubting the inspiration and passion he brings to a side but John will not be rejoining the team.

"The pain that he and his family - and the Manly club would be forced to endure - doesn't make it feasible. It would be about every other issue rather than football.

"I want to make it clear that John is always welcome at our football club and I know when he steps into the ring for his first professional fight that all his team mates will be in his corner. On behalf of the players and the club we wish him the best in his boxing career" Hasler said. www.manlyseaeagles.com.au

Case closed!

Reopen it Chile Out Man...........Personally I would love to see Finger Licking Good back in the Maroon and White :D

Slugs

chileman said:
:shock: Slugs, you're still alive!

yeah just been released from Long Bay in time for the semis.
You just can't keep a good man down..you know that :eek:

BTW about time you stood aside from the Moderator's role and gave someone else a shot.....might even throw my hat into the ring to moderate this site....I will sort out the men from the boys:shock: