What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

earliest known time

Alehana

Juniors
just wondering, coz my parents got back from kimberly (north WA) and they said that rock there was 1300 million years old, so i wondered what was the earliest known time, how many years ago was that, surely more than 1300 million, but its still an incredible amount of time.

The oldest age of rocks on earth is about 3 billion years, but the Apollo missions found rocks as old as 4.5 billion years on the moon.

Last edited:

akazie

Juniors
Well, I know that the earlest date in history was the Battle of Halys which took place on May 28, 585 B.C. Herodotus reported that a battle between the Medes and the Lydians was interrupted by a total solar eclipse; the omen startled them and caused them to cease. Because the dates of solar eclipses can be calculated with great accuracy we know the date but some modern scholars dispute this, typical :roll:

The world is estimated to be about 4.3 billion years old.

If you want to read a very interesting book about the history of the world and the creation of all sciences ( including geology) you should try Bill Brysons ' A short history of nearly everything'

Abz

Juniors
I actually heard on the news that the Planet is 12,000,000,000 years old and will continue to exist for another 60,000,000,000,000,000,000 years. That means it's 12 billion years old and will continue to exist for another 60 billion billions (x2) years.

The General

Juniors
I actually heard on the news that the Planet is 12,000,000,000 years old and will continue to exist for another 60,000,000,000,000,000,000 years. That means it's 12 billion years old and will continue to exist for another 60 billion billions (x2) years.

Do you think the Sharks will win a premiership before then?

60 billiom billion years and won **** all has a good ring to it.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well, I know that the earlest date in history was the Battle of Halys which took place on May 28, 585 B.C. Herodotus reported that a battle between the Medes and the Lydians was interrupted by a total solar eclipse; the omen startled them and caused them to cease. Because the dates of solar eclipses can be calculated with great accuracy we know the date but some modern scholars dispute this, typical :roll:
You will find the Chinese have written history dating back to 2500BC.

Spike

First Grade

Cronulla would almost be certain to win a premiership in that time

bulldog

Bench
I don't know about all this "science" mumbo jumbo, but I had to get up at 3.30am the other week.

It was still dark.

That is the earliest time I know of.

Latest posts