What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts

murray

Juniors
Any Easts people here? Since I'm now a Melbourne resident I desperately need people to keep me in touch.

langpark

First Grade
Yeah Easts is my closest Q Cup ground, so i guess i kinda support em. I try to get to a few games a year and catch em whenever they're on TV. Not sure how their squad's looking or anything this year.

murray said:
Any Easts people here? Since I'm now a Melbourne resident I desperately need people to keep me in touch.

On another RL forum (probably shouldn't link to LU's competitor! Just google "Rugby League" +grandstand +forum) there is a more active Queensland RL section than here.

There are about half a dozen or so Easts supporters who post nearly every day there so it would be a good place to hear about the happenings at Langlands Park.

Aside from a bit too much grumbling about 'the good old days' (and how the evil NSWRL destroyed their competition) the forum is a great source of Queensland Cup (and other QRL competitions) information.

miccle

Bench
I get to quite a few of the Easts games most years. Not really a fan of the team - but the ground, facilities (and steakburgers!) are always great to frequent with some mates.

Don't mind the team as such, I guess if Aspley crash out then I'd hope the Tigs do well.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
miccle said:
I get to quite a few of the Easts games most years. Not really a fan of the team - but the ground, facilities (and steakburgers!) are always great to frequent with some mates.

Don't mind the team as such, I guess if Aspley crash out then I'd hope the Tigs do well.

Just like most Easts supporters. I've never seen more than ten Easts supporters at an away venue.

langpark

First Grade
Seagullsrock said:
Just like most Easts supporters. I've never seen more than ten Easts supporters at an away venue.
The Wynnum away support is brilliant, especially at Easts games.

It was great going to Easts games a few years ago when they had Darren Smith and Renouf

Easts supporters don't travel because compared the Langlands every other venue is a tip (with one or two exceptions) Wynnum and Burleigh are good places to go to but the others are average. Plus we cop too much sh*t from other fans, not that are many at a lot of the other clubs. If there was 10 Easts fans at places like Davies Park or Ipswich we'd probably be in the majority on most ocassions. Of course I haven't been to many games in the last three years because I live so far away now. They should go alright again this year. It's not a world-beating squad on paper but last yea's wasn't either and it's probably better this year. Blokes like Dane Campbell (he's here somewhere) and Wade Lidell are back so the backs should be strong and Trent Young is back too.

East Coast Tiger said:
Easts supporters don't travel because compared the Langlands every other venue is a tip (with one or two exceptions) Wynnum and Burleigh are good places to go to but the others are average. Plus we cop too much sh*t from other fans, not that are many at a lot of the other clubs. If there was 10 Easts fans at places like Davies Park or Ipswich we'd probably be in the majority on most ocassions. Of course I haven't been to many games in the last three years because I live so far away now. They should go alright again this year. It's not a world-beating squad on paper but last yea's wasn't either and it's probably better this year. Blokes like Dane Campbell (he's here somewhere) and Wade Lidell are back so the backs should be strong and Trent Young is back too.

I'm a fan of the QC but from what I've seen most QC clubs play at pretty poor grounds and do a pretty poor job in getting people through the gates; of the Bishop Park games I've watched on ABC2 there couldn't have been much more than a couple of hundred people watching (the crowd averages quoted in Rugby League Review appear for most QC clubs to be pure fantasy). I listened to the Toowoomba (or was it Ipswich?) regional competition grand final last year on ABC and the crowd noise was far higher than for any QC game I'd watched.

Burleigh, Wynnum, Redcliffe and Easts appear to be doing better on this count. But this opinion is coming from purely what I can see on TV and through the media - I may just be an ignorant NSWelshman.;-)

Though it seems more is being done in the past couple of years to remedy this and media support definitely appears to be improving - which is what the competition deserves.

cumberlandsashes81 said:
I'm a fan of the QC but from what I've seen most QC clubs play at pretty poor grounds and do a pretty poor job in getting people through the gates; of the Bishop Park games I've watched on ABC2 there couldn't have been much more than a couple of hundred people watching (the crowd averages quoted in Rugby League Review appear for most QC clubs to be pure fantasy). I listened to the Toowoomba (or was it Ipswich?) regional competition grand final last year on ABC and the crowd noise was far higher than for any QC game I'd watched.

Burleigh, Wynnum, Redcliffe and Easts appear to be doing better on this count. But this opinion is coming from purely what I can see on TV and through the media - I may just be an ignorant NSWelshman.;-)

Though it seems more is being done in the past couple of years to remedy this and media support definitely appears to be improving - which is what the competition deserves.
Toowoomba and Ipswich have strong local comps and most people in those cities go to their local comp rather then the QCup. Of course Toowoomba are gone now anyway.
The four you mentioned are pretty well supported but still probably average less than 1000. Souths might do better if they'd actually pick a home ground and stick to it. Norths just aren't well supported for some reason and Aspley will probably be the same. Tweed do okay I think but again more people probably go to their Northern Rivers games. Centrals used to get huge crowds, 2000 plus, but that was a few years ago now. I doubt the crowds will ever be great but hopefully with some more media coverage and some more name players they could improve.

parra pete

Referee
South Logan will be the big improver in 2007.
The Club has adopted a very professional approach and big things are about to happen..

Seagullsrock

Juniors
You'd probably get over 2000 pretty easily on a good Wynnum crowd. Look at the Superleague crowds as well though. A stronger comp and they don't usually average over about 4000-5000.

langpark

First Grade
Seagullsrock said:
You'd probably get over 2000 pretty easily on a good Wynnum crowd. Look at the Superleague crowds as well though. A stronger comp and they don't usually average over about 4000-5000.
They're averaging over 10,000! But there are a few clubs that average 4/5k as you said.

langpark said:
They're averaging over 10,000! But there are a few clubs that average 4/5k as you said.

Harlequins RL (the club formerly known as the London Broncos), Huddersfield and Salford Reds are the strugglers in terms of crowds - and really only Quins and Reds are regularly in the 4 - 5k category.

UK RL's crowds are held back due to the fact that most of its traditional clubs are based around small communities (certainly smaller than most of the catchment areas for Sydney's RL clubs) - Salford and Widnes are a good examples of this. In the context of how small these towns are they probably do quite well, really.

The big clubs in the SL are doing pretty well and, as Langpark mentioned, the competition is averaging over 10,000 now. :D

murray

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
They should go alright again this year. It's not a world-beating squad on paper but last yea's wasn't either and it's probably better this year. Blokes like Dane Campbell (he's here somewhere) and Wade Lidell are back so the backs should be strong and Trent Young is back too.

Based on last year I think it is very promising, to make the finals and put in a good showing with such an injury-ravaged side was a testiment to the spirit within the club. Good to see Dane Campbell back, he nearly won a grand final for us.

I keep up as well as I can with the Easts and QRL websites, but it certainly isn't the same.

Easts are looking pretty good this year their onballers Kauffman, Campbell, Young are very good players and have played a fair bit together in the past.

Interestingly the grand final side had Liddell, Campbell, Kauffman and Young in the key positions in the middle of the field. All left but are all back. Plus Lockyer is still there so the nucleus of the 2004 side is back together.

Latest posts