What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EEL Evolution?

True EEL

Bench
IMHO, for the current eels squad to truly evolve and imprve and succeed as a team and consistently challenge the best teams, one thing must happen:

6. Jarryd Hayne

From the OneHD interview last night, he doesn't sound interested in playing in the halves, but i hope this changes. He is the superior attacking player in our squad - and this goes for running with the ball just as much as using the ball with other players and kicking the ball. He is a great, if not sometimes brilliant free-running fullback, but i believe he could be an outstanding, exceptional 5/8.....and I think DA was ahead of his time in playing him there......

i called for this mid-season 2010......it has to happen as far as i'm concerned

and of the options to go with him, either Robson or Morts would be ok, but based on current form, I would play Morts at 7 with him, as I also believe that Morts is developing his game well lately

thoughts?

boxhead

First Grade
More inclined to do it now than I was before but still a "pass" on this subject.

True EEL

Bench

thanks for your input, but why not?

tell me why this would not improve our team?
where was Jarryd Hayne playing when he threw that forward pass the other night?

i could go on and on with examples, including the games against Penrith last year where his solo almost-length of the field try stole headlines, overshadowing his greatness in setting up tries from 5/8 - or the next game against the Bulldogs where he simply blew the dogs away in the first 15 mins......the list goes on and on.

it just makes sense.......and i never thought Darren Lockyer was any chnace of being a good 5/8 when that move was made....how wrong i was.....

Parra Pride

Referee
Hayne looks disinterested in the game half the time playing in his favourite position, how would he be going in a position that he has said he doesn't want to play in? Leave him at fullback.

spartan2153

Juniors
Hayne looks disinterested in the game half the time playing in his favourite position, how would he be going in a position that he has said he doesn't want to play in? Leave him at fullback.

just could be strict instructions. Kearney did make a point of playing hayne in a more traditional role

Parra03

Juniors
I would love for Hayne to play anywhere in the halves. This team is going nowhere with him at fullback if the coach tells him to hold back and let the halves fo their job. The halves being pathetic as they are , r practically doing nothing & more often than not throwing Hayne the ball hoping he can do something and make them look good. Hands up who thinks with morts/robs at 6/7 we can be a force this year ! Quite often we are settling for mediocrity with morts/robbo/keating without trying anything new & HOPING they come good. Last year DA tried it & failed and such is the luck that we have a new coach who wants to start the cycle again :(
Hayne is a bloody genius with the ball and it is a pity that our best ball player is not playing at the halves provided the worthless talent we have playing there right now. Hayne to 6 pls !
Sorry guys. My frustration has come to a boiling point. The whole of last year it happened & I c it happening again this year unless we change our non functioning brain. Atleast one part has started working since McGuire has joined.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I would love for Hayne to play anywhere in the halves. This team is going nowhere with him at fullback if the coach tells him to hold back and let the halves fo their job. The halves being pathetic as they are , r practically doing nothing & more often than not throwing Hayne the ball hoping he can do something and make them look good. Hands up who thinks with morts/robs at 6/7 we can be a force this year ! Quite often we are settling for mediocrity with morts/robbo/keating without trying anything new & HOPING they come good. Last year DA tried it & failed and such is the luck that we have a new coach who wants to start the cycle again :(
Hayne is a bloody genius with the ball and it is a pity that our best ball player is not playing at the halves provided the worthless talent we have playing there right now. Hayne to 6 pls !
Sorry guys. My frustration has come to a boiling point. The whole of last year it happened & I c it happening again this year unless we change our non functioning brain. Atleast one part has started working since McGuire has joined.

No. Leave Hayne at 1 so he can pop in and out of a game as it suits him (feels right). I think we should try this:

1. Hayne
6. Keating
7. Mortimer
9/14. Robson/McGuire/Mitchell

or

1. Hayne
6. Mortimer
7. Keating
9/14. Robson/McGuire/Mitchell

Last edited:

Brenno75

Juniors
Hayne said last night on the channel one show, that he does not want to play in the halves. And once again; why weaken one position only to strengthen another.

Eels Dude

Coach
thanks for your input, but why not?

tell me why this would not improve our team?
where was Jarryd Hayne playing when he threw that forward pass the other night?

i could go on and on with examples, including the games against Penrith last year where his solo almost-length of the field try stole headlines, overshadowing his greatness in setting up tries from 5/8 - or the next game against the Bulldogs where he simply blew the dogs away in the first 15 mins......the list goes on and on.

it just makes sense.......and i never thought Darren Lockyer was any chnace of being a good 5/8 when that move was made....how wrong i was.....

That try wouldn't have happened if he were playing 5/8th that night, as it was off a kick return.

Stagger eel

Staff member
consider this scenareo for a moment and then make a choice..

don't think about Hayne for a moment, let's just say that he's playing in the side.

would you prefer with Morts at 6 or Burt at 1...

think about it for a moment cause i know where i'd rather be going.

I would love to see a Hayne/Maquire halves combination at the moment, i think it's our best chance to get this show back on the road.

True EEL

Bench
That try wouldn't have happened if he were playing 5/8th that night, as it was off a kick return.

thanks for both missing my point and proving my point.....:?

i was saying that his solo try overshadowed the work he did with the ball in setting up tries in that game......god its hard sometimes......;-)

True EEL

Bench
Hayne said last night on the channel one show, that he does not want to play in the halves. And once again; why weaken one position only to strengthen another.

no offence, but that is a moot point, dud arguement etc.

1. Hayne is not the worlds best Fullback, with respect to all facets of Fullback play

2. Umm, Luke Burt much?! Luke Burt played his best and most consistent and most prolific pointscoring football for Parra at Fullback, before Jarryd (and Hages) pushed him out of that spot.....

dudes....?! :crazy:

ps. the first point is the bigger issue, him not wanting to play in the halves....

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
1 Luke Burt

6 Jarryd Hayne
7 Casey Maguire

9 Anthony Mitchell

that is a very competant spine for mine..

True EEL

Bench
consider this scenareo for a moment and then make a choice..

don't think about Hayne for a moment, let's just say that he's playing in the side.

would you prefer with Morts at 6 or Burt at 1...

think about it for a moment cause i know where i'd rather be going.

I would love to see a Hayne/Maquire halves combination at the moment, i think it's our best chance to get this show back on the road.

see, this is some lateral thinking....and hayne McGuire could be deadly too

True EEL

Bench
I agree that 1. Burt, 6. Hayne, 7. McGuire is ok, but for me I would leave Casey at 9 for a while and give Morts a chance to play at 7 with Hayne at 6.....build a combination for the future in the halves....?

Parraletic

Juniors
Sick of hearing that we need to move Hayne to six. We need a new halfback. End of story! Maybe an Adam Blair would help as well.

Gronk

Staff member
IMHO, for the current eels squad to truly evolve and imprve and succeed as a team and consistently challenge the best teams, one thing must happen:

6. Jarryd Hayne

From the OneHD interview last night, he doesn't sound interested in playing in the halves, but i hope this changes. He is the superior attacking player in our squad - and this goes for running with the ball just as much as using the ball with other players and kicking the ball. He is a great, if not sometimes brilliant free-running fullback, but i believe he could be an outstanding, exceptional 5/8.....and I think DA was ahead of his time in playing him there......

i called for this mid-season 2010......it has to happen as far as i'm concerned

and of the options to go with him, either Robson or Morts would be ok, but based on current form, I would play Morts at 7 with him, as I also believe that Morts is developing his game well lately

thoughts?
I think you are historically incorrect. Ando is quoted as saying that he was playing Hayne at 6 because he was not fit enough to play fullback. The switch happened when he was fit enough to play 1 at a high level with a fast recovery rate.

Latest posts