What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EEL Evolution?

mrpwnd

Bench
Hayne is probably the only player in the world able to put Etu past the line lol, even if it was 'ruled' a forward pass.

yy_cheng

Coach
1 Luke Burt

6 Jarryd Hayne
7 Casey Maguire

9 Anthony Mitchell

that is a very competant spine for mine..

Exactly for mine.

I am also open to say someone else who has played a great deal of time at 1 to be 1 - Atkins maybe?

Hayne is not a great fullback. Slater, Dugan and Stewart are better fullbacks.

Hayne is a 6 and at the end of his career a 13.

He loves to pass the ball and setup the play. He doesn't support or sniff around others as most fullbacks do.

Now about weakening one spot to improve another, it has to be quantified.

I would rate hayne a 7 as fullback i.e. traditional fullback.
I would rate Mortimer a 4. In attack he only has the short pass and maybe a little short kick. But he misses the running game, long kick, bomb.
Robbo is a 4 too.

So Hayne as a 6, I would rate a 7 just on the way he is setting up plays, his kicks, his running game but could potentially be a 9.

Now Burt at 1 would be a 7 at worst a 6.5 so we aren't weakening 1 by that much but we are improving the 6,7 by a fair bit. Throw in Casey at 7 and we could improve that assuming Mitchell plays well.

Lastly, Hayne has to run more. He is so focused on throwing that wide bullet pass that nearly all his plays are like that. Ala Tim Smith, one day, they'll work out to intercept it.

He has to mix it up a bit more even with strategic kicks.

mrpwnd

Bench
Hayne has so many attributes that are more distinct of an excellent 6 than a 1.
I remember Sterlo highlighted a moment where he side stepped to a different direction BEFORE receiving the ball and that allowed him to set up I believe it was a line-break/try.
Now it probably doesn't seem like much but it's those small(albeit very difficult) things of his game that are so natural to him and would make him a VERY dangerous 6, even if it did fall to pieces in 09.
I think the club has very little to lose to put Hayne in the halves at least until the severe lack of spark in the halves is solved.

yy_cheng

Coach
I just don't think we should spend 3 more years trying to train up Mortz at 6 with a Robbo at halfback.

If we had a locker, thurston, mullen then fine but not a robbo.

So give up and really start building the team towards this:

1. Burt/Atkins
2. Atkins/Burt
3. Reddy
4. ??/Humble
5. Walker
6. Hayne
7. Casey
8. Poore
9. Mitchell
10. Mannah
11. Hindy
12. Fui
13. Benny

14. Mortz
15. Shack
16. Horo
17. Rene

This is where we want to be at come finals.

So start now. With the players that are currently not available, stick in ones now who can fill in

Atkins spot will be Morgan/Etu/Hicks
Humble's spot could be Morgan/Hick/Fats
Casey's spot filled by Robbo
Poore's spot by Webb or a
Rene's spot by Allgood or Webb

So build the team NOW. At least be competitive. Why waste such a forward pack with inept halves.

The only thing I reckon Hayne doesn't want the 6 is because he might lose the 1 rep jersey.

If casey does a good job of 7, Hayne can still pick and choose when to come in ala Kenny. No more 1 half on each side of the field.

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
1 Luke Burt

6 Jarryd Hayne
7 Casey Maguire

9 Anthony Mitchell

I know you have seen Anthony play quite a bit and you have picked him at 9, are you 100% that he is physically ready for NRL, week in week out? And how many minutes could he play? Besides this uncertainty, you have selected a bloody good spine Muzza. We don't lose much with Burt at 1, in fact we may get an improvement because Burt is very good defense reader and can organise the backs and Burt's positional play to regather kicks is superb. Burt is also good at helping with the backs attack formation structures. His kick returns will now be on par with Hayne's considering the respectful defense attention Jarryd now receives. We then need an Eric Grothe Jnr to run the next play the ball while the forwards get back and ready to plow ahead once again.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
1 Luke Burt

6 Jarryd Hayne
7 Casey Maguire

9 Anthony Mitchell

i threw up maguire at 7 as my preferred option in the preseason.

we need a better fb for mine to move hayne

burt 2-3 seasons ago was competent but has lost a lot of pace for that role, his potential support play with hayne could be a big plus

Eelementary

Post Whore
I know you have seen Anthony play quite a bit and you have picked him at 9, are you 100% that he is physically ready for NRL, week in week out? And how many minutes could he play? Besides this uncertainty, you have selected a bloody good spine Muzza. We don't lose much with Burt at 1, in fact we may get an improvement because Burt is very good defense reader and can organise the backs and Burt's positional play to regather kicks is superb. Burt is also good at helping with the backs attack formation structures. His kick returns will now be on par with Hayne's considering the respectful defense attention Jarryd now receives. We then need an Eric Grothe Jnr to run the next play the ball while the forwards get back and ready to plow ahead once again.

Isaac Luke: 174cm, 84kg

Robbie Farah: 179cm, 88kg

Michael Ennis: 176cm, 88kg

Matt Keating: 177cm, 88kg

Anthony Mitchell: 178cm, 85kg

He's roughly the same size as Keating and Ennis, and bigger than Luke.

Parra Guru

Coach
lol, I can see it now....

Hayne goes to 6........ we lose a game.... Hayne runs to the papers "it's not fairrrrrrr I wanna play fullback"

forward pass

Coach
we tried Hayne at 6 and it failed,

and of argument

Can someone show me how it failed? Everyone keeps saying that but I recall Hayne single handedly saved our arse against the Raiders playing at five-eighth and was pretty good in the other few matches considering he was learning the ropes.

It is absurd for people on here to honestly claim that Morts is a better option than Hayne. Seriously - he couldn't possibly be.

Parra03

Juniors
Seriously how many logins do Morts & Robo have in this forum ! Talk about having a cat's life !
Hayne is our only chance or wooden spoon here we come !!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Hayne is a very average 5/8 but has shown can be a very dangerous fullback if they could just get some broken play. Moving him to 5/8 is counter productive, we want Hayne in the gap not trying to create the break himself with passes for others.

84 Baby

Referee
I hate to break it to everyone but where certain people were playing and which players weren't in the team is not the reason why we lost either game so far. Nor will it be the reason we lose any other game this season. Or ever. Nor was it the reason we beat the Warriors. You could have drawn the positions out of a hat and we would have had the same results. It's the one thing I am enjoying about Kearney, he clearly isn't fazed by how poorly someone has played because he is trying to instil the effort, concentration and thinking that the players need to be able to win games. I may not like what he's done with the attack (controlled offloading and smart backing up is what I would be coaching) but he seems to be trying to get everyone thinking as footballers