What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach (Part Deux)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
All of that happened, but it was just a part of a process that started years earlier.

The point is that it hasn't been 8 months. They have righted the ship somewhat off the field, which has allowed Cleary to do what he has done on the field. That has, however, taken over three years. Not 8 months.

Our bottom of the barrel moment was in 2016. We did amazing to come out so well last season, but we're now finding that we still have work to do before we can say it's all good again. Especially given we simply don't have the "outside the salary cap" abilities that other clubs do thanks to a decade or more of self-interested f**kwits running the club into the ground.

I have faith that our rebuild will be successful, but we were lower than the Tigers at our worst...
So another rebuild???? When did you turn into Pou???

Bazal

Post Whore
So another rebuild???? When did you turn into Pou???

It's not another rebuild....it's the actual rebuild. The one where we actually get a functioning front office, we f**king hope.

Merkins lied to us all throughout the last decade. They told us "we're rebuilding the club, we're doing x and y and z" when in reality they were running it into the ground for their own self-interest.

When do you reckon we rebuilt? Was it when we cheated and then lost two star players as a result of our cheating? It's no good "rebuilding" the squad if you're going to wreck it by being a complete and utter basket case off the field, is it? We've got a reputation that's in tatters and an admin still setting right decades of shit ffs....you want to talk about turning into Pou, are you really going to argue any of this is untrue???

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's not another rebuild....it's the actual rebuild. The one where we actually get a functioning front office, we f**king hope.

Merkins lied to us all throughout the last decade. They told us "we're rebuilding the club, we're doing x and y and z" when in reality they were running it into the ground for their own self-interest.

When do you reckon we rebuilt? Was it when we cheated and then lost two star players as a result of our cheating? It's no good "rebuilding" the squad if you're going to wreck it by being a complete and utter basket case off the field, is it? We've got a reputation that's in tatters and an admin still setting right decades of shit ffs....you want to talk about turning into Pou, are you really going to argue any of this is untrue???
We have had the same coach for 5 seasons, we finished top 4 last year and without those two players you mentioned. Our cap was in its best position since Brian Smith was here. It was BA’s decision to sign Hayne to replace Semi. It was BA who told us all we are happy with what we have here in the forwards and at dummy half even though we aren’t using all of the cap.

It was BA who was happy to bring a Fumbleball coach to the club and get all our forwards to change their body shapes and lose a heap of weight. BA has got it badly wrong, the style of football we are playing has nothing to do with rebuilding either.

We look lazy, unfit and unmotivated and poorly coached. I think yesterday was the first real dig they have had all season. All of that I have mentioned BA can control which has absolutely nothing to do with cap rorting or previous boards.

Bazal

Post Whore
We have had the same coach for 5 seasons, we finished top 4 last year and without those two players you mentioned. Our cap was in its best position since Brian Smith was here. It was BA’s decision to sign Hayne to replace Semi. It was BA who told us all we are happy with what we have here in the forwards and at dummy half even though we aren’t using all of the cap.

It was BA who was happy to bring a Fumbleball coach to the club and get all our forwards to change their body shapes and lose a heap of weight. BA has got it badly wrong, the style of football we are playing has nothing to do with rebuilding either.

We look lazy, unfit and unmotivated and poorly coached. I think yesterday was the first real dig they have had all season. All of that I have mentioned BA can control which has absolutely nothing to do with cap rorting or previous boards.

Of course it has to do with those things, because our reputation still stinks. Players aren't going to choose us over better alternatives until we repair that. Simple.

Would you rather BA had paid the 400k Mitch fking Rein was asking? 600k for Peats? Who was off contract in the 9 that you would have signed?

strider

Post Whore
What Cleary has done in 8 months Proves it can be done much quicker.
I reckon a f**kload of the tigers success is down to 2 things
1) playing as a team and defending well as a unit .... this is probably down to player attitude, fitness, etc - which is alot to do with coaching ... they seemed plop a fair bit of last year. Did the coach suddenly get better?

2) benji marshal is playing out of his skin .... it was a wise move to bring him back but if reynolds wasnt injured would he have even been starting? .... i reckon it was alot of good luck that shit just worked itself out with that

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Of course it has to do with those things, because our reputation still stinks. Players aren't going to choose us over better alternatives until we repair that. Simple.

Would you rather BA had paid the 400k Mitch fking Rein was asking? 600k for Peats? Who was off contract in the 9 that you would have signed?
More excuses, Tigers were shit last year so were thr Titans and let’s not forget the Warriors. It didn’t stop them signing players. And i have no idea how much we had to spend, but 500-600k for Peats has to be a better play then 300-400k for two reserve graders???

Honestly our pack is just not up to it and if we can’t afford one quality Bookend someone is on massive overs.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I reckon a f**kload of the tigers success is down to 2 things
1) playing as a team and defending well as a unit .... this is probably down to player attitude, fitness, etc - which is alot to do with coaching ... they seemed plop a fair bit of last year. Did the coach suddenly get better?

2) benji marshal is playing out of his skin .... it was a wise move to bring him back but if reynolds wasnt injured would he have even been starting? .... i reckon it was alot of good luck that shit just worked itself out with that
They were much tougher down the back stretch after he took over and Moses left.

But it shows what a coach can do in a pre season when it comes to attitude, fitness and defence. 3 things which we are severely lacking atm.

strider

Post Whore
More excuses, Tigers were shit last year so were thr Titans and let’s not forget the Warriors. It didn’t stop them signing players. And i have no idea how much we had to spend, but 500-600k for Peats has to be a better play then 300-400k for two reserve graders???

Honestly our pack is just not up to it and if we can’t afford one quality Bookend someone is on massive overs.
I reckon peats is way over rated ... and hence over priced ... he is max 400k player - if he held out and got 600k from titans he is on overs

He doesnt play exclusively at hooker either ... rein plays a chunk of the game and peats plays middle forward

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I reckon peats is way over rated ... and hence over priced ... he is max 400k player - if he held out and got 600k from titans he is on overs

He doesnt play exclusively at hooker either ... rein plays a chunk of the game and peats plays middle forward
He was great yesterday, but yes he probably is overrated for what he offers.

BA doesn’t believe in attacking hookers anyway he just wants blokes who can shovel it out and move up in defence and tackle.

That’s why we are stuck with the worst two dummy halves in the comp.

strider

Post Whore
He was great yesterday, but yes he probably is overrated for what he offers.

BA doesn’t believe in attacking hookers anyway he just wants blokes who can shovel it out and move up in defence and tackle.

That’s why we are stuck with the worst two dummy halves in the comp.
I dont think any nrl coach believes in attacking hookers ... which is why they are pretty much none in the nrl

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I dont think any nrl coach believes in attacking hookers ... which is why they are pretty much none in the nrl
Cook??? Hodgson???? korisau???? Glanville??? And of course Smith is a handy attacking player.

BA wants absolutely no ball playing at all from our dummy halves no wonder our attack is so poor.

Bazal

Post Whore

Lol

Now you sound like Rammy. Don't agree with me? It's a f**ken excuse!

The Tigers are basically us from last year and you want to put them on a pedestal? They signed cast offs, has beens and might be's, paid overs for lots of them (Russell Packer is on more than Nathan Brown and Josh Reynolds is on more than Moses FFS!!!) and got lucky. Apart from Packer, who have they signed who was widely sought after last season? Matulino was told by Steve fking Kearney he wasn't required because he was too lazy. And you must be shattered we missed out on Corey Thompson and Pita Godinet lol...

And with all that they're 4-1 with a F/A of +13. What a bastion of success!!!

We have been the worst managed club in the NRL for over a decade. You do not recover from that in a season. We did well doing what the Tigers have done and assembling underrated cast offs and potential players, but taking the next step and nabbing the star player or two will take still take either overs or patience. Same for them next season I'll wager

strider

Post Whore
So out of 16 nrl teams you found 4 hookers and the current unannounced immortal of league - who is also mr no frills in attack but has amazing control of the game.

cook has struggled to get a regular starting spot cos he isnt the type of hooker coaches want - and i would add issac luke there too

Whether we as fans like it or not its not what coaches have wanted for quite some time

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lol

Now you sound like Rammy. Don't agree with me? It's a f**ken excuse!

The Tigers are basically us from last year and you want to put them on a pedestal? They signed cast offs, has beens and might be's, paid overs for lots of them (Russell Packer is on more than Nathan Brown and Josh Reynolds is on more than Moses FFS!!!) and got lucky. Apart from Packer, who have they signed who was widely sought after last season? Matulino was told by Steve fking Kearney he wasn't required because he was too lazy. And you must be shattered we missed out on Corey Thompson and Pita Godinet lol...

And with all that they're 4-1 with a F/A of +13. What a bastion of success!!!

We have been the worst managed club in the NRL for over a decade. You do not recover from that in a season. We did well doing what the Tigers have done and assembling underrated cast offs and potential players, but taking the next step and nabbing the star player or two will take still take either overs or patience. Same for them next season I'll wager
No excuses f**king Loosers!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So out of 16 nrl teams you found 4 hookers and the current unannounced immortal of league - who is also mr no frills in attack but has amazing control of the game.

cook has struggled to get a regular starting spot cos he isnt the type of hooker coaches want - and i would add issac luke there too

Whether we as fans like it or not its not what coaches have wanted for quite some time
I came up with that list in 2 mins, you said coaches didn’t want any in their sides anymore.

Segs is another, Levi is an attacking hooker and i would class Luke as one as well. Young Liddle has shown some ball skills as well when he had been fit enough to get a run.