What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels coach Daniel Anderson tells forwards to muscle up

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25300723-5001023,00.html

Eels coach Daniel Anderson tells forwards to muscle up
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Steve Gee

April 07, 2009 12:00am

EELS coach Daniel Anderson yesterday put the acid on his senior players to perform or perish, with his struggling forwards under orders to "muscle up" to the in-form Dragons pack for Friday's must-win clash.

Under pressure after the Eels' 24-6 capitulation to the Roosters, Anderson paid the St George Illawarra forwards the ultimate compliment, describing Wayne Bennett's charges as the benchmark after four rounds.

The Dragons have dumped their renowned soft underbelly to become steel-spined menaces, following the injection of bruise brothers new boys Jeremy Smith and Neville Costigan.

With former Raiders front-rower Michael Weyman gaining a new lease of life and second-rower Ben Creagh among the most damaging ball runners, Anderson said the Eels needed more from Nathan Cayless, Fuifui Moimoi and Nathan Hindmarsh.

"(The Dragons) probably have the best pack of forwards in the competition (so) it's a real measuring stick for us," Anderson said.

"We haven't been playing well in the forwards. We have to muscle up to St George and show we can compete. Senior players have to lead us out of tough periods and at the moment we are in a tough period."

Meanwhile, St George legend Johnny Raper yesterday claimed the best was yet to come from the menacing Dragons pack.

"The next couple of games you will see them mould into a very strong and menacing pack of forwards," he said.

The Dragons yesterday trained at WIN Stadium, with fullback/centre Darius Boyd sitting out the session and in doubt for the Eels game, while injured prop Justin Poore looks certain to push for a return.

Origin star Matt Cooper is not expected back until the Anzac Day clash with the Roosters.

El Diablo

Post Whore
the halves need to pull their finger out. they're doing a lot worse than the forwards

Kiki

First Grade
The Dragons have dumped their renowned soft underbelly to become steel-spined menaces.

YESSSSSS. that sentence gave me a ladyboner.

grapeape

Juniors
the halves have been sh*t, but the main reason is lack of room coz the forwards are not making meters.

oldmancraigy

Coach
the halves have been sh*t, but the main reason is lack of room coz the forwards are not making meters.

Generally speaking you're right, but there have been occasions in the game where the forwards have actually had a good set of 6, and then Finch has killed momentum with a shocking pass/ Matt Keating passes the wrong way (or goes himself) etc.

SDM

First Grade
St George Fans.
Getting boners over April media reports since 1980.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Didn't we make more metres than the Roosters???? With over 50 tackles inside their 20 metre zone. That doesn't sound the forwards fault, we know whose fault it is........

Gladesveel

Juniors
Will it be acceptable for some of the Eels players to come out at the end of the year and say they had a bad attitude throughout the season,like they did last year.For players on big money to say this is a slap in the face to the supporters.I hope they find some attitude then they might find some form.

Didn't we make more metres than the Roosters???? With over 50 tackles inside their 20 metre zone. That doesn't sound the forwards fault, we know whose fault it is........

True, I was going to bring this up before, We made yards against the Roosters and we had field position. Problem was we didn't have a half back who has an idea and we had a fullback playing at 5/8.

Bazal

Post Whore
hineyrulz said:

I think the forwards are going ok, but could do better...I just think Anderson maybe realises that he can get improvement in that area. There's no improvement in our 7...

Redback71

First Grade
there must be some one we can replace finch with at 7. dont get me wrong I still think Finch is a integral part of our team, just not at 7.