What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eels don't need this kind of support

Mediocrity rules-I'm going on a Tiger hunt
By Christian Nicolussi
Daily Telegraph Friday October 7 2005

The sooner Wests Tigers bandwagon rolls out of town the better.
Slap a big fine on the wagon when it double parks in one of Balmain or Leichhardt's tight one way streets. Or roll the wagon down the M5, dump it in a creek bed and torch it.

Round the pathetic lot up with their black and orange streamers and make them watch re-runs of the 1989 grand final, when Balmain were belted by Canberra in extra time. That same year the mighty Western Suburbs Magpies started contemplating expanding their junior base to Johannesburg after finishing at the wrong end of the ladder yet again.

Sydney has sadly embraced the Tigers in a whirlwind week that smacked of mediocrity.

Maybe sports fans were in need of a pick-me-up after Ricky Ponting's men failed to return with the Ashes. Maybe Sydneysiders wanted to keep the party going after the Swannies took out the AFL title a week earlier.

Once the real Grand Final contenders, Parramatta and St George-Illawarra, bowed out of the race, footy fans were desperate. A state of confusion swept across the Harbor City. How were people going to spend their Sunday night watching a grand final with two teams nobody liked? What happened to the Eels and Dragons? Should we or shouldn't we have a barbecue? Should we tune into Australian Idol?

Enter Benji Marshall, Scott Prince, Brett Hodgson and the rest of the Tigers players nobody will remember this time next year. Their win captured the imagination. Sports journalists described the Grand Final victory as a "fairytale ending". "The Unlikely Premiers". A better headline would have been "Never Again" or "Thank God We Didn't Play Parra".

They spoke about a ticker-tape parade. Then came the special-edition postage stamps. All this for a side that finished fourth at the end of the season. The same side that beat a team in the Grand Final that finished even worse on the ladder. The same side that was backed at an outrageous 150-1 midway through the year. The same side that gave me nightmares at the back end of the season when they kept winning and, as a result, ruined my chances of winning the office tipping competition. I'm now stuck with a set of golf clubs I bought with the money I thought I'd eventually pocket when at one stage six games clear with four rounds to go.

For the sake of the argument, I'm a Parramatta fan. I've been waiting for a premiership since 1986. I'm sick of the Tigers. I'm sick of the blow-ins.
Will a Tigers victory do wonders for the NRL? No. Will the Tigers defend their title next year? No. They say a leopard never changes its spots. If only the same applied to Tigers supporters. Get lost.

scottyeel

Bench
Oh terriffic. Someone will post that article on the NRL forum and it will be open slather on eels fans again.

if anyone says anything direct them to letters@dailytelegraph.com.au this tool has nothing to do with us and i sure as hell want nothing to do with him

bluenwhite

Juniors
bloody parra fans. i mean seriously, can't they just shut the f**k up for once?

(by the way, i was joking)

Angry_eel

First Grade
bluenwhite said:

(by the way, i was joking)

That coming from a dogs fan, i'd shut the f**k up i were you, ULE.

I is joking too.

half

Coach
bluenwhite said:
going by the post count total of our forum, probably not

Parra Guru

Coach
While everyone is thinking exactly what this fool wrote, publishing it in the Telly just makes you look like a sour grape eating tool.

I wish he/she never wrote the sentence about being an Eels fan.

11Straight

Juniors
I read that in the telegraph yesterday what the hell was that about??

there is no need for it and really stinks of sour grapes.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
half said:
going by the post count total of our forum, probably not

I just realised this oday, the main NRL forum had 320 000 posts where as this parra one had 200 000 posts, and the Parrallel Dimension had 30 000, thats gr8:D

Miss_Eels

Juniors
It was an interesting read until I got to the last paragraph. But I can't believe it was even posted in the Telegraph, it just proves what a joke that paper is.

Parra Guru said:
While everyone is thinking exactly what this fool wrote, publishing it in the Telly just makes you look like a sour grape eating tool.

I wish he/she never wrote the sentence about being an Eels fan.

wtf???
i like the tigers ever since the finals started i was wishing for an eels/tigers grand final all the threads i have seen from parra fans have been full of congratulations for the tigers and their supporters

seeing the eels collapse one step away from glory was a very bitter pill to swallow and knowing the anti-smith brigade are already sharpening their knives for 2006 when just making it to the grand final would have shut them up makes it even worse but please don't hate the tigers for winning 'our' premiership there are no guarantees in finals this year proved that

once you look beyond the disappointment of that last game we have had a very good year if anything we overachieved with a 20 year old rookie in one of the most critical positions in a team we should have struggled to win games and with the broncos six points clear at one stage and needing just one win from their last 5 games to wrap up the minor premiership it is a miracle we got to compete for it let alone win

p.s. whenever you feel down just remember this: tim smith will be better next year!

NZ Magpie

Juniors
Hollywood Jesus said:
I agree with the article, but not in such a vicious way. My view is that the Tigers' fans are mostly bandwagoners.

Hollywood you are as much a goose as that Christian guy. Maybe you both live under the same rock.

How do you justify saying the "Tigers fans are mostly bandwaggoners"???

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hollywood Jesus said:
I agree with the article, but not in such a vicious way. My view is that the Tigers' fans are mostly bandwagoners.

whether they are ot not is not the point John, the point is the article was written by a very bitter person who's obviously taking to long to get over the fact that we were trounced by a better team on the day a few weeks ago.

Bandwagon is a strong word to use and it's been used too losely on this occasion, not everyone can follow the team like you and I can, and I have no doubt that those who support the Tigers are those who genuinely do and have been a supporter of both clubs for years.

strider

Post Whore
I hate to spell out the obvious - BUT pretty much EVERY team in the NRL could be said to be followed by bandwagoners.

* Every team gets bigger crowds when they are going well
* You see far more ppl wearing team colours when the team is going well

These are the things people judge bandwagoners on.

Its just human nature - alot of people still might support a team, but only really get excited and show it when they are going well.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
scottyeel said:
Oh terriffic. Someone will post that article on the NRL forum and it will be open slather on eels fans again.

good sh*t, that way we dont get bored

some of the Eels bashers in the NRL forum really have nothing and shoot them selves in the foot everytime they open their mouth

Glenn

First Grade
No doubt there is the Tigers bandwagon out there, but that happens to most teams after a success.
Obviously someone had to much spare time on there hands, maybe a relaxation course is required for them