What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in Armidale

ShaunC

Juniors
I have a Bachelor of Economics from UNE. Not sure if that is an endorsement or a warning given the vintage is '89 and I spent more time with lecturers at the Newy than in actual lectures.

SDM

First Grade
I wouldn't hire any moron who spent 4-6 years bludging and wanking

Apocalyptic Eel

Juniors
Long distance degrees are good if you can't get a proper degree. They're better than nothing.

Better than Block Release programs I'll give you that. Also better than the idiots who claim to have a degree then you do a search and NONE exist

Haynzy - true I don't know how some people get a degree these days. Had one the other week who couldn't even bloody answer questions in relation to this course in his interview. (and was from a Uni that wasn't distance). Just that the vast majority that come from distance or block simply don't have the requirements to complete an on-campus degree.

Gronk

Staff member
I don't know who you've interviewed but I know plenty of people who have studied via distance ed and they are certainly not stupid and are actually very good at their jobs and I know for a fact that you have to work much harder than if you attend lectures.

I also know plenty of muppets with Uni degrees earned in the traditional way and I wouldn't consider employing them even if you paid me.

Agree. There is a far bit of "mine is bigger than yours" when it comes to uni degrees. I assure you that 10/15 years on no one gives a f**k. It's the goals you've kicked post degree that matter.

As you were.

born an eel

Bench
Agree. There is a far bit of "mine is bigger than yours" when it comes to uni degrees. I assure you that 10/15 years on no one gives a f**k. It's the goals you've kicked post degree that matter.

As you were.
seen that quite a bit where a person has started working with an honours degree and think they are it only to stuggle in the real world and the opposite where a person has scrapped through uni probably working a couple of jobs only to excel in the working environment.

Apocalyptic Eel

Juniors
seen that quite a bit where a person has started working with an honours degree and think they are it only to stuggle in the real world and the opposite where a person has scrapped through uni probably working a couple of jobs only to excel in the working environment.

I think it depends what Industry people work in, but yes a degree after 5-10 years can end up being worth little unless you continue with your professional development (through internal or external training).

I've personally had to go and undertake additional training to remain on the top of my game as things always change in HR

Haynzy

First Grade
Teachers are constantly doing re-training too, in fact, it's a requirement that you do a certain amount of professional development every year.

Uni degrees are really just a glorified entry pathway. You gain enough knowledge to get a job but most learning is done on the job.
The real issue is the whole boy's club mentality where a student from, for example, Sydney Uni will get a job over someone from UNE purely on the basis of where they went to school/Uni/ or who their dad is.

hybrideel

Bench
I am doing a double IT degree through distance learning. I am doing that because i am also trying to run a business and raise 2 children. I think it is extremely unfair to generalise distance learning as some people to it that way out of necessity. Also i do think it is harder(not that i have any comparison other than tafe) as you don't have the advantage of attending lectures so you are swimming in the deep end a lot more

SDM

First Grade
I think it depends what Industry people work in, but yes a degree after 5-10 years can end up being worth little unless you continue with your professional development (through internal or external training).

I've personally had to go and undertake additional training to remain on the top of my game as things always change in HR

:lol: And there it is. You have no business talking about useless degrees.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Bob Bentley.

Haynzy

First Grade
I am doing a double IT degree through distance learning. I am doing that because i am also trying to run a business and raise 2 children. I think it is extremely unfair to generalise distance learning as some people to it that way out of necessity. Also i do think it is harder(not that i have any comparison other than tafe) as you don't have the advantage of attending lectures so you are swimming in the deep end a lot more

I've done both and found that the distance ed study was considerably more difficult as you are on your own.
You can't discuss or ask questions of your teachers as readily and as you don't have prescribed lecture times you need to be very organised which is difficult as most people who are undergoing distance ed study are already flat out with businesses, family etc.