What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Forty20

First Grade
Ken Thornett Medal - Nathan Brown

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Obviously, being our best middle forward isn't hard. The group is greater than the sum of its parts, and unlike many teams we lose nothing when our starters leave the field.

Chipmunk

Coach
Obviously, being our best middle forward isn't hard. The group is greater than the sum of its parts, and unlike many teams we lose nothing when our starters leave the field.

I think Brown stepping up and playing 80 and the fact that we seem to use 5 players to cover the time for the other 2 middle forwards has definitely been a great contributor in our field performance. Jennings moving to the right shouldn't be underestimated either.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Interestingly, this is the first year since the award's inception in 1974 that we haven't awarded a Rookie of the Year at the Ken Thornett Medal function.

Because we've had no rookies debut in 2017.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our SG Ball side won everything. First time in a decade. Under 20s are in the top four and four NYC eligible players played reserve grade this year. But he might've cut funding. That sort of thing takes a few years to show in the results.

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta Eels hooker Isaac De Gois breaks silence on concussion drama

Isaac De Gois has revealed he had no option but to retire after doctors warned he would likely suffer "severe brain damage" if he copped another concussion.

De Gois came into the season as Parramatta's reigning Ken Thornett medallist, the honour bestowed on the club's best player. However, his 225-game career came to a premature halt after a pre-season head knock. The veteran hooker was concussed during a trial match against the Gold Coast in Alice Springs, the latest in a series of head injuries suffered during a distinguished NRL career spanning a decade.

Speaking for the first time about the incident, De Gois said he was still suffering ill effects more than six months after the collision that ended his career.

"It's hard when you get told by doctors you've got to pull the pin, otherwise you'll be suffering from severe brain damage," De Gois told Fairfax Media.

"Obviously it's a pretty easy choice. I've got a young family to look after. It is what it is. I've obviously had a fair few knocks in my career. This one, I wouldn't say it was different - the collision wasn't that big - but it rocked me a little bit.

"The next day I didn't feel too good and then I went for scans and whatnot. I had numerous scans, saw numerous doctors. I even flew to Melbourne to see a doctor there and ended up going to Newcastle to see Dr Chris Levi [of the Sports Concussion Clinic at John Hunter Hospital], who pretty much narrowed it down to exactly what it was.
1504003675480.jpg

Parramatta hooker Isaac De Gois risked "severe brain damage" if he suffered another concussion. Photo: Peter Rae
"It's been a long road with recovery, I'm still getting there. In due time, hopefully, I will be back to 100 per cent."

De Gois admits he is unsure when he will fully recover from the blow that ended his career.

"There's a few issues, I won't go into detail, but there are a few symptoms from the head knock I copped a while ago know. Hopefully in time everything will be clear," he said.

"That's the thing, doctors can't put a time frame on it. I've got to be patient and hopefully get back to normal.

"The doctors said 'you've copped a fair few knocks in your career - one more and you probably will do brain damage.'

"When you get told that, it's obviously scary. In saying that, you pretty much know it's the right decision not to lace them up again."

De Gois has had to watch on as Parramatta qualified for their first finals appearance since 2009. While the Eels have enjoyed a winning season without him, his absence has undoubtedly been a setback. The Portuguese international is one of coach Brad Arthur's favourites and is respected among the playing group for setting the line speed in defence, his toughness and selflessness on and off the field.

De Gois began his career at a time when there were no concussion protocols, with players often returning to the field after serious head knocks.

"That's the thing, I was playing 10 years ago," De Gois said.

"Unfortunately players my age, back then you were getting the knocks and you just continued to play because you thought it was the right thing to do.

"Now, in this time and age, it's so much better with head knocks. The doctor has to clear you, you have to come off. They've got the HIA [head injury assessment] interchange as well. Now it's so much better and will only continue to get better, which is the right thing for the wellbeing of the player."

Asked if he thought he suffered damage resulting from head knocks that previously weren't managed properly, De Gois said: "I don't want to comment on anything like that because I don't know. Hopefully in due time I will be back to 100 per cent …

"The new rules now are so much better. In the earlier years, 2007-8 and whatever, you get knocked out and - you ask anyone playing back then - you just get back up and try to continue on.

"Now, you still try to do the same thing but they bring you off as a precaution. That's the right thing to do, it's not on the player saying 'No, no, leave me on.'

"I'm all for it. Well done to the NRL for player wellbeing now, they've realised how bad it can be."

De Gois thanked his wife Renee for helping him through a difficult period.

"When you get injured, especially with the head injury, we were doing it very tough for a long time," he said.

"I've got a good one, she stuck by me and we're going all right now. I've got two little girls and you want to be around as long as you can to see them grow up and be there for them."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ence-on-concussion-drama-20170829-gy6cp4.html

Gronk

Staff member
ROBBO RETIRES

Jeff Robson in action.

Parramatta half Jeff Robson will retire at the end of the year.

The 35-year-old finish his career with more than 170 first grade games across four clubs.

He had his greatest success at the Eels where he helped guide the team to the 2009 grand final.

“I’d like to thank Brad (Arthur) and the club for having me back,” Robson told attendees of the annual Ken Thornett Medal night.

“I really wanted to finish my career here.

“It’s a great bunch of boys. It’s a tight knit group and it’s like family. Everyone gets on well and everyone sprays each other and has a laugh.

“It shows on the field how they’ve been playing. If it’s good off the field, you’re usually good on it. I’m just honoured to be back at the club.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/0c0112784d4e0ab6abd429f9a1db7458

forward pass

Coach
Anyone read the 30 year plan article in the Tele today?

Holy crap that list of our recruits over 30 years brings back some memories. I can't believe how many I had forgotten !

Latest posts