What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They have an option to explore other offers while still having a safety net.
Exactly. They will still test the market, safety net or not. Welch agreed to sign with us while he had a PO in his back pocket. It only became a factor when he did his knee and we pulled our offer. He was never going to activate the PO without testing the market.

Pazza

First Grade
Exactly. They will still test the market, safety net or not. Welch agreed to sign with us while he had a PO in his back pocket. It only became a factor when he did his knee and we pulled our offer. He was never going to activate the PO without testing the market.

The way I see it is the option means they will test the market, they'd be crazy not to. If they don't have the option they'd might be more inclined to re sign prior to Nov 1.

It will be interesting to see the Iongi contract. There was no mention of options on the lomax and simonson deals.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The way I see it is the option means they will test the market, they'd be crazy not to. If they don't have the option they'd might be more inclined to re sign prior to Nov 1.
If they want to maximise their contract value, and they are likely to get a bigger deal by going to market, they will go to market.
It will be interesting to see the Iongi contract. There was no mention of options on the lomax and simonson deals.
Most players won't want an option because they would have to give up cash.

Then why the f**k have we been offering so many options then! As I've said, just offer them the years you want to sign for at the price you're willing to sign them. Simples.

Players either want to take the deal and buy in with BA/Parra, or they want to test the market and f**k us around. Thankfully player options are now seen as something of the past, of no benefit to modern club cap management.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Then why the f**k have we been offering so many options then!
Because our salary cap is tight and it's a way to reduce their salary demands.
As I've said, just offer them the years you want to sign for at the price you're willing to sign them. Simples.
That's what we've done with most of them.
Players either want to take the deal and buy in with BA/Parra, or they want to test the market and f**k us around. Thankfully player options are now seen as something of the past, of no benefit to modern club cap management.
The Storm disagree with you.

Pazza

First Grade
If they want to maximise their contract value, and they are likely to get a bigger deal by going to market, they will go to market.

Maybe, the option allows them to explore all avenues with a guarantee in place.

Most players won't want an option because they would have to give up cash.

You're assuming, they could have got market rate and options for all we know.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe, the option allows them to explore all avenues with a guarantee in place.
Well yes it does, which is the whole point of it. The option is a benefit to the player. What the club gets out of it is during negotiations. Just like how your insurance premium is worth a dollar value to the insurance company, a PO has a dollar value to the club. This is taken into account during the negotiation process. If a club is offering or agreeing to a PO it is understood that the player pays for it.
You're assuming, they could have got market rate and options for all we know.
They could've all gotten massive overs too for all we know, but the sensible assumption is that nothing is free. Most players don't have a PO, either because they and the club can't agree on what it was worth, or just because players know that if they want a PO they can't expect as much money. Like how so many people don't bother paying for insurance. They think the money is better off staying in their pocket.

On the other hand, a club option is worth money to the club, and a player agreeing to it will expect the club to pay extra for it. Because clubs have to worry about the salary cap (and players don't), club options are rare. The extra cost of the CO inflates the player's contract under the cap while a PO effectively reduces it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is still assumptive bollocks no matter how much you try to repeat it, and that you've been repeatedly called out on.
Well no, I’m repeatedly calling you out on your presumption that a PO is given away for nothing. I’d say the NRL clubs know better than you do. When they give the player an option they get something in return. For you to claim otherwise is presumptive bollocks, and I will continue to call you out on it.

Well no, I’m repeatedly calling you out on your presumption that a PO is given away for nothing. I’d say the NRL clubs know better than you do. When they give the player an option they get something in return. For you to claim otherwise is presumptive bollocks, and I will continue to call you out on it.
Arrow Noplastic GIF by Jaune Parfois Bleu

I wish someone who knew someone in club land could actually ask them all about PO's and CO's and their impact on price and the salary cap, so Pou and Bart could stop disagreeing with each other and filling up my feed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I wish someone who knew someone in club land could actually ask them all about PO's and CO's and their impact on price and the salary cap, so Pou and Bart could stop disagreeing with each other and filling up my feed.
When we can't even rely on basic logic how can we discuss anything around here. If player options were given away for free, every player would have them.

Latest posts