What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I was always a huge fan of Perth's weather as it was very mild in Winter, hate the cold, and every day in Summer you get the "Seabreeze" as the locals call it, or the Fremantle doctor as Richie used to call it. It's regular as clockwork so you don't get really hot nights

Johnny88

Juniors
The King and I: Eels rookie signing ready for No.1 role

He may be stepping into the position of a club legend, but Parramatta recruit Isaiah Iongi believes he’s ready to wear the Eels No.1 jersey.
Iongi’s transfer to the Eels, on a three-year deal from arch rivals Penrith, shapes as one of the most intriguing storylines of the 2025 season. Having made only one NRL appearance, a round 22 debut against Newcastle, Iongi has been tasked with taking over the role long held by Eels captain Clint “King” Gutherson.

It appears the transition will happen quicker than first envisioned. Parramatta have granted Gutherson permission to negotiate with rival clubs immediately after informing him they wouldn’t offer him a contract extension beyond next year. St George Illawarra are one of several clubs watching the situation with interest as the likelihood grows that Gutherson has played his last game for the Eels.
Such is the regard that Iongi is held in, the blue and golds were preparing to throw Iongi the No.1 jersey regardless. Iongi, despite his relative inexperience, feels he is ready to fill the breach.
“Yeah, I feel like I am,” Iongi told this masthead.

Obviously that’s the goal. You’ve got to work for it. I’ll get a good pre-season under my belt at Parra, that will help me build the confidence with them. We’ll get that team bonding on.
“There is always going to be challenges and expectations anywhere. At Panthers there was and anywhere else, too. It’s all part of the game, it’s all about how you handle it.”
Iongi was stuck behind Dylan Edwards, who just displaced long-term Kangaroos captain James Tedesco as the side’s fullback, at Penrith. The Eels had originally earmarked Blaize Talagi as Gutherson’s successor, but turned their attention to Iongi after Talagi signed with Penrith.
Iongi felt the opportunity to learn from Edwards put him in good stead for the upcoming challenge.

Man, it’s probably the best position to be in, to learn from him and grow as player,” he said.
“In my eyes, he’s the best fullback in the game. It’s great to learn off him.
“It’s a good opportunity [at Parramatta], not just for me but for my family. It will put me in a better position to live out my dream as an NRL player. I’m hoping to do that at Parramatta.”
Iongi decided to switch sides after a couple of conversations with incoming Parramatta coach Jason Ryles.
“Obviously that’s the goal. You’ve got to work for it.”
Isaiah Iongi on his ambition of wearing the Parramatta No.1 jersey
“I’m looking forward to working with him,” Iongi said. “Like every other club, you have to work for the spot and put in your all to get that opportunity for yourself. That’s what he said to me.
“[Gutherson] is another great fullback. To learn from ‘Dyl’ and then go to Parramatta and learn from him as well, it puts me in a good situation for my future career. I can look at what they have in the game to put it in mine.”
Iongi was born in Brisbane, represented the Maroons at under-19s State of Origin level and has just been chosen as part of the top Tongan squad for the Pacific Championships after previously representing Tonga A.
“It means heaps, especially my dad’s side [of the family],” he said. “Representing Tonga A last year, I got a bit of a taste about what that means and how it goes. I’m excited.”
Iongi, who made 257 running metres and eight tackle busts in his only NRL appearance, played much of his junior career at five-eighth. However, at the suggestion of his father, the 21-year-old switched into the custodian role.
“I never supported teams [when I was younger], it was more players,” he said.
“[Former Kiwis and Warriors fullback] Kevin Locke was my first favourite and then after his injury I went to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. I just supported those players coming up.”
The Wavell State High School graduate said he was grateful to be able to develop his game at the Panthers and is now looking forward to being on the other side of the rivalry.
“They have spent a lot of time making me the player I am, all the stuff that I have learnt about the game,” he said.
“It was awesome [to debut], it was something I’d always dreamed of. To be able to do that at the Panthers, it was unreal … Obviously I’m not from Penrith, I’m from Brisbane, I didn’t know too much about the rivalry when I first came, but it’s just crazy.
“All the boys are going on about versing each other. It’s always a good game whenever those two compete against each other.”

NRL 2024
Parramatta Eels
Adrian Proszenko

Latest posts