What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels ready to unleash: Anderson

HevyDevy

Coach
Anyway, getting back to the original post; I like what Anderson said.
The original article was wrong on two counts, though, I thought.
1. Why did he refer to us as a 'star-studded side'? Because it sounds good? We aren`t anywhere near that.
2. The backline reshuffle had little to do with our lack of attack - it was dropped ball and bad passes (and some mighty defence from St George.)

But Anderson made a lot of sense.

1) Hayne, Grothe, Inu, Mateo, Hindmarsh, Fuifui, Cayless
2) Didn't say that was the actual reason ... but it DID fail to fix the point scoring problems!! :D

carpe

Juniors
We will see about "unleashing EELS" on Sunday against Bulldogs. It surprises me how we are going to play to our best of ability with no good halves. I think DA knows something which we don't.
About - star studded team , I would say we are good on papers. On the field it is a different ball game.

lingard

Coach
1) Hayne, Grothe, Inu, Mateo, Hindmarsh, Fuifui, Cayless
2) Didn't say that was the actual reason ... but it DID fail to fix the point scoring problems!! :D

Hayne - okay.
Grothe - this year, okay. Although, maybe the word `star` is a bit over the top.
Inu - horribly out of form, and doesn`t deserve the label 'star' yet. 'Potential star'; maybe.
Mateo - yeah, okay; but a bit out of form.
Hindmarsh - okay.
Fui - wew can agree to disagree; I don`t class him as a 'star'.
Cayless - No. Never was a star.
That`s 3 (or 4) `stars'. The rest of our players are average or very inexperienced.
I`d more consider teams like Melbourne, Brisbane, Manly as being 'star-studded'. How many state of origin players do we have? One, currently.

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
I still think we need a experenced halfback. We are always looking to some junior to come thru and be the next sterlo. We put all our eggs in one basket with Michael Witt and then again with Tim Smith and both times it failed. A player like a Brett Kimorley or a Matt Head or even Nathan Fien who have played plenty of 1st grade not only balance the team better but also help the young ones coming thru which both Witt and Smith got no help in that area.

One thing at a time. We just got rid of a half-back with a dreadful kicking game. That`s a good thing. We don`t want to rush off and buy a Matt Head (who could well end up sitting out most his contract time with injury), or any other stop-gap measure this year. We wait til we free up some more money at the end of this year and buy a high quality, long-term halfback who will lead the side for a number of years. (Or a five-eight, if Mortimer comes through). Besides, as unlikely as it might seem, Jeff Robson might prove to be a capable stand in for the rest of the year. Failing that, we have Kris Keating. I don`t think we need to rush out and buy a half-back yet.