What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels star Dan tips youngest Mortimer to have bright future

The Colonel

Immortal
EELS STAR DAN TIPS YOUNGEST MORTIMER TO HAVE BRIGHT FUTURE

Story & Photo BY : MARK RAYNER

ORANGE’S Robbie Mortimer may not be the most well known of the Mortimer family, but the promising young fullback, who played for Bathurst’s St Stanislaus College in their Arrive Alive Cup campaign this year, has the potential to join his brother Daniel in the NRL.
Daniel Mortimer, an Orange CYMS junior, was at Stannies on Tuesday to watch Robbie play in the match against St Gregory’s and while the Bathurst school may have been 40-0 losers, the Eels halfback is still impressed with what he saw.
“I thought he (Robbie) played pretty well. They’ve come up against a pretty hard team who are from a league school and have been training from day dot - but the boys did alright,” Daniel said after the game.
“It’s a union school but it’s good to see them taking league more seriously.”
The older brother said that he enjoyed getting out to Robbie’s games when his Parramatta commitments allowed him to and he had high praise for the fullback.
“When Robbie’s playing I always try to get out and support him and see how he’s going,” he said.
“I think providing he keeps listening and improving, he can go all the way. He’s got an enormous amount of potential and he’s got a bit of size, which is something I don’t have, so he has the wood over me there.”
Robbie and Daniel are the second generation of Mortimers to get into league.
Their father Peter, who was also at Monday’s game, and uncles Steve and Chris were dominant figures for Canterbury during the 1980s.
Daniel has already begun to forge an NRL career with the Parramatta Eels in 2009 after coming through their Toyota Cup under 20s side and, while the Eels have had an up and down season, he hasn’t given up on them playing in the finals.
“I’m just happy to be up there playing and it’s good to get a couple of good wins,” he said.
“I think we have to win five of the next six to make the finals, so it will be tough, but if we can keep playing like our last two performances there’s no reason why we can’t make it.
“It’s probably a bit of a long shot at the moment but we just have to take it week by week and it will sort itself out if we are playing well. We will just take it as it comes.
“We’re definitely not expecting to get there but we will just keep improving.”
Mortimer will remain with the Eels for 2010 and he says the recruitment of some talented players has the club set for a big year.
“We have a couple of really good signings with Justin Poore, Shane Shackleton and hopefully Timana Tahu, so they will be pretty exciting times I think,” he said.
While there has been recent speculation about where Mortimer will be when his contract runs out at the end of next year, he says he will worry about that once this season is over.
“I’m not sure, I’m keen to play out the rest of this year and then slowly get into negotiations,” he said.
“I don’t want to rush anything because I think my next decision will be a bigger one, hopefully longer than a year which I just signed, so I’ll definitely look at all options but I’m pretty happy at the Eels.
“It will take a lot to get me away from them.”

http://www.ourfootyteam.com/news_09.php#eelsStarDanTips300709a

Last edited:

ianlovesparra

Juniors
That's better, i like the way he is starting to talk now.

I’m pretty happy at the Eels.
“It will take a lot to get me away from them.”

Good stuff Danny boy

Eelementary

Post Whore
EELS STAR DAN TIPS YOUNGEST MORTIMER TO HAVE BRIGHT FUTURE

Story & Photo BY : MARK RAYNER

ORANGE’S Robbie Mortimer may not be the most well known of the Mortimer family, but the promising young fullback, who played for Bathurst’s St Stanislaus College in their Arrive Alive Cup campaign this year, has the potential to join his brother Daniel in the NRL.
Daniel Mortimer, an Orange CYMS junior, was at Stannies on Tuesday to watch Robbie play in the match against St Gregory’s and while the Bathurst school may have been 40-0 losers, the Eels halfback is still impressed with what he saw.
“I thought he (Robbie) played pretty well. They’ve come up against a pretty hard team who are from a league school and have been training from day dot - but the boys did alright,” Daniel said after the game.
“It’s a union school but it’s good to see them taking league more seriously.”
The older brother said that he enjoyed getting out to Robbie’s games when his Parramatta commitments allowed him to and he had high praise for the fullback.
“When Robbie’s playing I always try to get out and support him and see how he’s going,” he said.
“I think providing he keeps listening and improving, he can go all the way. He’s got an enormous amount of potential and he’s got a bit of size, which is something I don’t have, so he has the wood over me there.”
Robbie and Daniel are the second generation of Mortimers to get into league.
Their father Peter, who was also at Monday’s game, and uncles Steve and Chris were dominant figures for Canterbury during the 1980s.
Daniel has already begun to forge an NRL career with the Parramatta Eels in 2009 after coming through their Toyota Cup under 20s side and, while the Eels have had an up and down season, he hasn’t given up on them playing in the finals.
“I’m just happy to be up there playing and it’s good to get a couple of good wins,” he said.
“I think we have to win five of the next six to make the finals, so it will be tough, but if we can keep playing like our last two performances there’s no reason why we can’t make it.
“It’s probably a bit of a long shot at the moment but we just have to take it week by week and it will sort itself out if we are playing well. We will just take it as it comes.
“We’re definitely not expecting to get there but we will just keep improving.”
Mortimer will remain with the Eels for 2010 and he says the recruitment of some talented players has the club set for a big year.
“We have a couple of really good signings with Justin Poore, Shane Shackleton and hopefully Timana Tahu, so they will be pretty exciting times I think,” he said.
While there has been recent speculation about where Mortimer will be when his contract runs out at the end of next year, he says he will worry about that once this season is over.
“I’m not sure, I’m keen to play out the rest of this year and then slowly get into negotiations,” he said.
“I don’t want to rush anything because I think my next decision will be a bigger one, hopefully longer than a year which I just signed, so I’ll definitely look at all options but I’m pretty happy at the Eels.
“It will take a lot to get me away from them

http://www.ourfootyteam.com/news_09.php#eelsStarDanTips300709a

Good, good.

Raudonikis

Juniors
can i ask a serious Q on this subject,ok last nite i went overboard and have appoligised to the people i had a go at.But i would seriously like to know if Morts has say 2 bad games in a row,(which can easily happen)are people going to say,oh hes not up to it and then start crusifying him?Or will you all give him the benefit of the doubt?

Eelementary

Post Whore
can i ask a serious Q on this subject,ok last nite i went overboard and have appoligised to the people i had a go at.But i would seriously like to know if Morts has say 2 bad games in a row,(which can easily happen)are people going to say,oh hes not up to it and then start crusifying him?Or will you all give him the benefit of the doubt?

I doubted him. I saw him in Toyota Cup and didn't see much there. Solid, sure, and heaps of potential. But I wasn't that keen on seeing him play First Grade yet.

But he's proven me very, very wrong, and I would gladly give him the benefit of the doubt.

Stagger eel

Staff member

well maybe you should remind people that the great Peter Sterling didn't hit his straps as first grader until 1981, 2 and a half years after his first grade debut..

I always thought this kid was a genuine first grader in the making but his development in such a short time has blown me away,there's nothing wrong with having a couple of bad games because I really believe this kid is mentally, the best young footballer to make his debut since Hayne.

Raudonikis

Juniors
well maybe you should remind people that the great Peter Sterling didn't hit his straps as first grader until 1981, 2 and a half years after his first grade debut..

I always thought this kid was a genuine first grader in the making but his development in such a short time has blown me away,there's nothing wrong with having a couple of bad games because I really believe this kid is mentally, the best young footballer to make his debut since Hayne.

Thanks for your opinion Stagger,cos i still remember what my opinion was after round 3 this season.I am not surprised by his performances.Maybe i am just a good judge of halves lol...kidding guys take it easy on me

Gazzamatta

Coach

100% agree Staggs.
Didnt Sterling have his initial first grade game as Fullback in a semi final? I also recall he was originally a 5/8 before his successful transition to 1/2 back.
Mortimer has heart, talent and technique. Very rare in one footballer.
Along with Hayne, he is THE most important signing for the future.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Reguardless of how good Mortimer is going, I still think he isnt quite ready for first grade. I wouldnt drop him at all now. If he is really our long term halfback, he must never ever be punished by losing his spot, it will destroy his confidence.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I watched him in the Toyota cup in the first round against the Warriors, i thought he went ok without being brilliant. I thought he was still a fair way of first grade but what he has done for us in a struggling side has been terrific. He seems to have a very level head and a great attitude. The best thing is his old man and his Uncle Steve will help keep his feet on the ground.

The Colonel

Immortal
Reguardless of how good Mortimer is going, I still think he isnt quite ready for first grade. I wouldnt drop him at all now. If he is really our long term halfback, he must never ever be punished by losing his spot, it will destroy his confidence.

I doubt it will destroy his confidence..... I think it would actually make him work harder to regain his spot which I think is the big difference between he and Kelly.

Fathead

Bench

The benefit of the doubt. There is no doubt the kid can play. He may well be the 5/8 we are looking for. I just hope we dont kill him with expectation.
He will not hit his straps as a first grade player for another 18 months.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore

I doubt it will destroy his confidence..... I think it would actually make him work harder to regain his spot which I think is the big difference between he and Kelly.

IMO 1 Eyed, that's a rediculous statement.
Being dropped could only hurt a player and destroy his confidence if he is of weak character.
Someone with ambition and fight will battle back, and become both a better player and person.
I agree with Colonel.

Suity

Fathead

Bench
Yeah no one is beyond being dropped. Thats sort of Haganish view is what got us in trouble in the first place.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeah no one is beyond being dropped. Thats sort of Haganish view is what got us in trouble in the first place.

lol - that is soooooo true. Is it any wonder that Ben Smith is playing better football, now that he knows he's not guaranteed a spot every week?

Suity

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Colonal, Suity, I specifically meant dropping Mortimer as a punishment.

I would consider dropping him back to under 20's when Mateo and Keating are fit and playing again. Just to see how he would go in a weaker comp. Hopefully he would dominate.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Morts has already shown me a great maturity and mental toughness side of his game that having the odd poor game or being dropped will not phase the kid at all.

Suitman

Post Whore
Colonal, Suity, I specifically meant dropping Mortimer as a punishment.

I would consider dropping him back to under 20's when Mateo and Keating are fit and playing again. Just to see how he would go in a weaker comp. Hopefully he would dominate.

Ok, no worries. That makes more sense.

Suity

Latest posts