What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels targeting Brett Kimmorley and Matt Orford

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27383996-23214,00.html

Parramatta Eels targeting Brett Kimmorley and Matt Orford

By David Beniuk
July 10, 2010

Parramatta are considering an NRL swansong for Brett Kimmorley, with the veteran half ironically a chance of becoming young playmaker Daniel Mortimer's on-field tutor.

In a scenario which almost played out at Canterbury-Bankstown before Mortimer rejected an offer to stay with the Eels, Kimmorley is being discussed by the Parramatta hierarchy in the wake of current Eels Kris Keating (Canterbury-Banktown) and Feleti Mateo (Warriors) jumping ship.

Keating's decision to join the Bulldogs, who will also have halves Trent Hodkinson, Ben Barba and Ben Roberts on their books next year, has virtually ended Kimmorley's chances of playing on with the club in 2011.

The 33-year-old could slot into a coaching role but had previously indicated he wished to go around for a 17th season.

“We're having a look at him,” said Eels chief executive Paul Osborne.

“We're just looking at what our options are.

“Halves are an issue for us and he's someone that's been discussed but only been discussed, nothing further.”

Osbourne said former Manly halfback Orford, currently in the UK with Bradford, was also an option.

"He might be good for a year or two to help Daniel," said Osborne. "There are some good quality leaders floating around."

Osborne conceded Mortimer, who has struggled to regain the stellar form of his debut year, would benefit from some on-field tuition.

“It would be great if we got someone that could help him,” Osborne said.

“He's a terrific player but I think someone mature outside of him or inside him would certainly help his game.”

Parramatta are close to needing a miracle run similar to last year after five losses in their last six matches.

The Eels could theoretically also offer Kimmorley an off-field role beyond 2011 after coaching consultant Andrew Johns was cut loose following the racism row with centre Timana Tahu.

However, Canberra has also emerged as a contender for Kimmorley's services as they continue their search for an experienced halfback to mentor its young backline.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner confirmed his club had expressed an interest in the 33-year-old.

"We would love to have him for a year," Furner said. "We would love to have him for his experience and to help bring Joshy (halfback Josh McCrone) through.

"In terms of helping with our young halves, it would be great."

The Raiders, who have also shown an interest in veteran Cronulla playmaker Trent Barrett, face an uphill battle to secure Kimmorley's services given his burgeoning media career in Sydney.

However, Canberra coach David Furner was a teammate of Kimmorley in the NSW side in 2000 and could use their previous relationship as leverage.

AAP

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
are they both from the same retirement village ?

this is our recruitment policy ?

bradeel

Juniors
I don't reckon its a bad idea at all, given our remaining options. Clearly we have a 5/8 or halfback in Daniel Mortimer that the club has decided to invest in for the future. I know we are all down on him, with good reason given his 2010 form, but he showed enough to suggest he's a player of the future that could be a great asset with some guidance. The JT experiment obviously worked in 2001 for a single year and Kimmorley or Orford could play a similar role in 2011.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Would Noddy or Orford cost more than the minimum wage? Could we sign them on the minimum and then fix them up when they retire with some sort of coaching roles? Or is this considered dodgy?

WA Eel

Juniors
Agree with Bradeel. Hopefully if it all works out, young Mortimer won't then sign with another club like PJ Marsh did after he did his apprenticeship under JT.

bradeel

Juniors
Agree with Bradeel. Hopefully if it all works out, young Mortimer won't then sign with another club like PJ Marsh did after he did his apprenticeship under JT.

Fair point. I reckon in all the bagging of Morts this season (for his admittedly disappointing 2nd year) we shouldn't underestimate how much he's been thrown into the deep end by the club and our expectations of him. The Coach said as much in that infamous press conference about Hayne, when he basically suggested that we have 2 very inexperienced halves in 2010 and are expecting big things. Clearly that is the main reason why the club is prepared to let go another work in progress, Kris Keating. Either of one of those players obviously could use the guidance of an older, wiser head playing inside or outside of them.

spartan2153

Juniors
Mortimer has not shown enough natural skill to be able to lead a team around the park

He runs hard backs up well & tackles. This is all he is able to do. Everyone who is dreaming of having mortimer as a long term half are not serious. YOu can teach everything but 1 simple rule for a half back. Vision, Mortimer does not have even 1% of it. therefore he will never be a good half

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Would Noddy or Orford cost more than the minimum wage? Could we sign them on the minimum and then fix them up when they retire with some sort of coaching roles? Or is this considered dodgy?

I think ( I could be wrong), we could sign either player on the minimum or very low sign on fee, and then offer them a bonus for each game played. And the bonus would not be included in the cap for the year, however if we sign them for the second year, they would need to sign for at least their sign on fee and what bonuses they received, this was the problem with Kingston, eg we could sign Kimmorley on the minimum of $55,000 and $10,000 per NRL game played. Say he played 20 games , he would be paid $200,000 in bonueses and $55,000 sign on, a total of $255,000 however only $55,000 is in the cap. However in year two if we wanted to resign him under the cap he would be taking at least $255,000.

I think this is how the cap works

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Mortimer has not shown enough natural skill to be able to lead a team around the park

He runs hard backs up well & tackles. This is all he is able to do. Everyone who is dreaming of having mortimer as a long term half are not serious. YOu can teach everything but 1 simple rule for a half back. Vision, Mortimer does not have even 1% of it. therefore he will never be a good half

All the attributes for a hooker !!!

bradeel

Juniors
All the attributes for a hooker !!!

Or even as a 5/8 alongside a more dominant playmaking half. Think Kenny, hole running, speed merchant, with great backing up next to Sterlo with a great kicking game and the vision to put Kenny through those holes. Or Terry Lamb alongside Steve Mortimer.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Or even as a 5/8 alongside a more dominant playmaking half. Think Kenny, hole running, speed merchant, with great backing up next to Sterlo with a great kicking game and the vision to put Kenny through those holes. Or Terry Lamb alongside Steve Mortimer.

totally agree Ithink that why his form is down he just isnt a half back. last year he was great playing a back up roll

spartan2153

Juniors

comparing kenny with mortimer is the ultimate insult to kenny

Mortimer isnt even good enough to wipe his ass

Kenny also had every attribute required to be a dominant half. Please to compare the two

bradeel

Juniors
comparing kenny with mortimer is the ultimate insult to kenny

Mortimer isnt even good enough to wipe his ass

Kenny also had every attribute required to be a dominant half. Please to compare the two

I appreciate the obvious idiocy in trying to suggest that Daniel Mortimer is as good a player as Brett Kenny. Fortunately, I am not that stupid and that is not what i was doing.

Was merely suggesting that the qualities that you pointed out in Mortimer, runs hard, backs up, tackles well, are all qualities that would and should make him a handy 5/8 in the Kenny mould.

I can also see however that you think pretty firmly that Mortimer is a rubbish player, unbefitting of the Parra jumper, so there's probably little point in trying to convince you of his potential.

bartman

Immortal
Morts doesn't have the vision that Kenny had, the ability to read a game.

Even Hayne doesn't have that vision imo, despite his other individual abilities. Burt would be as close as any of our current crop gets, with his knowledge of when to go looking and when to chime in. The fact he';s not doing much of that lately is testament for how crap Mortimer is at creating anything.

We need Kimmorley badly, and I for one would be happy at throwing something at him for one year (a la Taylor in 2001).

spartan2153

Juniors
I appreciate the obvious idiocy in trying to suggest that Daniel Mortimer is as good a player as Brett Kenny. Fortunately, I am not that stupid and that is not what i was doing.

Was merely suggesting that the qualities that you pointed out in Mortimer, runs hard, backs up, tackles well, are all qualities that would and should make him a handy 5/8 in the Kenny mould.

I can also see however that you think pretty firmly that Mortimer is a rubbish player, unbefitting of the Parra jumper, so there's probably little point in trying to convince you of his potential.

Kenny's ability to read a game was special. There is a reason he is called the natural.

Mortimer does not have the ability to be a half or 5/8. Last year was a fluke. He should be thankful to hayne for making the whole team look as good as they did.

Mortimer at best might make a decent hooker. He should not be in a position to control our backline. FOrwards maybe backs hell no

Yes i wish i had your enthusiasim about his playing ability. But quite frankly i think he was lucky he got to play first grade & he can thank his surname because if you saw him in under 20's he offered absolutely nothing whatsoever. His timeing was just luck & coincided with the greatest 12 week period of football from a single player we will probably never see again