What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ELEVEN GOLDEN YEARS.

St George's 1956 premiership win ushered in the beginning of an incredible golden era for the team - an unprecedented and still-unbeaten run of 11 consecutive premiership titles in NSW rugby league, ending in 1966. The Dragons were on fire for more than a decade, regularly turning in remarkable performances and producing legends of the sport such as Ken Kearney, Norm Provan, Reg Gasnier, John Raper, John King, Ian Walsh, Graeme Langlands and Billy Smith. With a foreword by Norm 'Sticks' Provan, St George - (thanks to member Father Ted)

I was three when the Dragons achieved No 11, however it was Changa and Billy Smith whose fame and skills were later responsible for me becoming a life-long Dragon fan.

Some 20 years ago, when doing some family history research, imagine my Suprise (And Pride), discovering a tenuous link (By marriage) to Johnny King. I've since met him twice. What a footballer, what a man, Humble, Polite, Generous and still loves to talk about his years with the Dragons.

'Never before, never again"

Little did anyone know that before the 1956 Grand Final on that sunny September afternoon played before a packed crowd at the iconic Sydney Cricket Ground, a win by the St George Dragons would lead to a world record 11 consecutive premierships.
In a HERCULEAN EFFORT the RedV scored four tries then held off the Balmain Tigers to run out 18-12 winners. The win was especially sweet, given Saints had to play with one man down when centre, Merv Lees broke his collarbone in the first minutes. One man short as in those days there was no replacement rule.
The St George golden era had begun.

Saints were red hot favorites for the 1957 flag the following September again at the SCG after being clear cut minor premiers over their GF opposition the Manly Sea Eagles. Soon after the opening whistle they began dominating the north shore team culminating in a humiliating 31-9 thrashing to record their fourth overall premiership and second consecutive win.

In September of 1958 St George completed their premiership hat trick by accounting for a plucky Western Suburbs 20-9. The Magpies had gone into the game full of confidence and belief that they could topple the dual premiers after they thrashed the Saints 34-10 in the major semi final. This was despite the premiers again, almost monotonously, finishing the season as clear minor premiers..

The St George Dragons juggernaut was practically unstoppable in 1959 as they went through the entire season undefeated, culminating in the destruction of Manly 20-0 in the GF at the SCG. That year Saints averaged over 30 points per game and conceded an average of 10 points. As the best defensive and offensive side in the competition, they were never going to lose their fourth grand final on the trot..

St George started the 60s off annihilating Parramatta 52-0 then laid waste for the remainder of the season to almost every team. Their victim and fifth consecutive premiership on that September afternoon of 1960 were the hapless Eastern Suburbs that found itself on the end of a seven try 31-6 rout.

SCG, September 16, 1961 the venue for Saints sixth straight Grand Final campaign against a new league power in Western Suburbs, but the merciless Dragons, in a mud bath kept the Magpies scoreless in a gritty 22-0 victory with stalwart wingman Eddie Lumsden scoring a hat trick.

The bitter rivalry between these two clubs resumed September, 1962 in another SCG mud bath and with the Magpies using a game plan to nullify the great Reg Gasnier pushed the mighty Saints all the way, but class and experience won out and the Red & Whites just pipped the gallant Black & Whites 9-6 to wrap up their seventh Grand Final in a row. The only try of the game was scored by Johnny King, who I believe scored in all seven of his grand finals.

Many claimed the Saints were lucky to win the 1963 GF in front of a then record crowd of 70,000 after a controversial try by Johnny King during which he slipped once then regained his feet then slipped again and then somehow, after fending off his opposite John Mowbray managed to slush his way thru thick mud to cross the whitewash. West players were up in arms claiming King had been effectively tackled and that referee Darcy Lawler should never have awarded the three pointer. Probably sour grapes by the Wests camp.

At the conclusion of the match all had been forgotten when the exhausted, mud soaked captains Norm Provan and Arthur Summons embraced. The scene was captured by a league photographer, with the photo then copied and made into a bronze statue which is today the symbol of Australian Rugby League. (inset)
1698187160883.jpeg

The SCG was again the arena of battle for the Dragons 9th premiership victory overcoming a gritty Balmain Tigers 11-6. The turning point of the match came five minutes into the second half with the Tigers leading 4-2 when defending their own line they received a penalty and kicked for touch. In an incredible piece of agility Changa Langlands stretched over the touchline , pouched the pig skin, steadied himself then sprinted cross-field where he found centre Billy Smith who burst downfield linking with an unmarked Johnny King for the only try of the game.

A record crowd of 78,056 fans, even some precariously perched on SCG grandstand roofs, was the scene for the Saints 10th consecutive Grand Final win, defeating the new kids on the block the South Sydney Rabbitohs 12-8 in an entertaining match. At the sounding of the full time siren, the SCG was invaded by thousands of fans and the ground became a sea of people. Those on the roofs took a little longer to join the celebrations as the triumphant Dragons took their lap of honor.

Saints decade long golden run was not finished when the following year they faced and outclassed a confident Balmain Tigers 24-8 to win their eleventh and FINAL consecutive Premiership. Tigers took an early lead after Keith Barnes kicked a penalty goal, but Saints struck back with a try to burly centre Bruce Pollard. Their second three pointer was a memorable 25 yard run by Kevin Ryan after a pin point Johnny Raper pass put him in the clear. The big prop was not to be denied a rare try by swan diving three feet from the whitewash and landing on his shoulder. They had decent shoulder pads in those days, today he'd probably have shattered his shoulder blade.

In 1966 with everyone wondering if the mighty St George Dragons would complete their 12 consecutive grand final win, the answer came in the Preliminary Final when Canterbury ended the golden reign. (I think that is the sole reason I have since disliked the Dogs). Myself and thousands of diehard Dragon supporters were left in shock and disbelief at the end of our incredible ELEVEN GOLDEN YEAR dynasty, a world record at first grade level for an elite team in any sport. An achievement that for 57 years has not been equaled and most probably never will be .
What an amazing legacy to leave future devotees of this famous club.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Always remember the pride I took when seeing the mighty Saints run onto the field in those full size jerseys with the huge red V . With the St.George and the Dragon emblem in the original design - not the crappy one on today’s jersey .

They looked magnificent and played accordingly , they were the royalty of rugby league , wonderful years . If only our club was run with the same professionalism as in those years , then most of our current problems would be non-existent .

Last edited:
Sydney Cricket Ground, 24 August 1963: St George have won their eighth Grand Final in a row in controversial circumstances, downing Wests 8-3
This was a momentous day for this Dragons diehard, my first ever live game. On holiday from boarding school my uncle arranged tickets as a surprise for me. When we arrived at the sprawling SCG it was starting to rain and the ground was filling quickly. As I was just a squirt my older brother pushed his way thru people to the fence where we parked for the whole match, large umbrella aloft taking in the wonderful atmosphere. After screaming myself hoarse and soaked thru but so jubilant after we held off those pesky Maggies to win in one hellova mud bath. During the lap of honor I even managed to give my hero Johnny Raper a quick pat on the back as he ran past. That was the cherry on the top for my day.

Last edited:

RedVee_8

Juniors
I was three when the Dragons achieved No 11, however it was Changa and Billy Smith whose fame and skills were later responsible for me becoming a life-long Dragon fan.

Some 20 years ago, when doing some family history research, imagine my Suprise (And Pride), discovering a tenuous link (By marriage) to Johnny King. I've since met him twice. What a footballer, what a man, Humble, Polite, Generous and still loves to talk about his years with the Dragons.

'Never before, never again"
I was born in 1962, and Yes, Changa and Billy for me too. The only opposition player I rate in the same company was Big Artie.

I was born in1956 and first started going with Dad to Kogarah when i was 4 yrs old. I cant remember those early years much, but i went to the 10th year GF with the record crowd. I remember standing on beer cans so i could see.The crowd was amazing and i still remember seeing people on the roofs of the Grandstands. Sadly i went to the 12th as well when it all finished. At the time i thought its better someone else wins for once (sacrilege to all the diehards), and looking back now i still think thats true. No one will ever match it or beat it now-it was hard enough then-impossible now. Ive been lucky enough to have seen the absolute best Saints players go around, although being born 10 yrs earlier would have let me see the whole run. I watch now and think wow im glad i saw the best because what i see now isnt like i remember. The men i saw then were gods to me, and someone to aspire to being like. I could run onto the ground after a match and shake hands with them and get their autographs. The worst we ever heard was Raper getting pissed and running around in a bowler hat-not chasing someone on a roof and belting them. I have great memories and thats all that matters plus i get to relive it on great forums like this one-and with people who have far better memories than i do

I was born in 1962, and Yes, Changa and Billy for me too. The only opposition player I rate in the same company was Big Artie.
A year can make all the difference when it comes to memories. I don’t think I saw many games with Artie but certainly a magical player.

The opposition player I rated most highly was Ray Price, tough as old leather, who took a crap-load of punishment especially in the 1977 (Bath Babes) Grand Final when the plan was obviously to smash Price into submission with rocket Rod the main aggressor. The plane worked, but it took a replay to win.

As young teenagers, a few mates and I used to catch the train from Eastwood to Carlton, most Sundays during the 70’s, to watch the three grades. Unlike some posters, who have magnificent memories of old games, I can only recall a few. The fondest being Ray Price, not sure the year.

The game was Dragon’s V Parra @ Kogarah and was during the “Phantom Biter” era, rumored to be Rod Reddy. We were on the front bench seats and had a clear view of Ray Price being tackled close to the side-line. Multiple Dragons came over the top with stiff elbows, then one Dragon shoved Price’s head into the ground. Price was looking directly at us when he opened his mouth and clamped down on his own arm. He displayed the bite to the referee and received the penalty.

I was outraged, at first, but pretty much started laughing shortly after and still chuckle about it today.

One tough hombre!

RedVee_8

Juniors
A year can make all the difference when it comes to memories. I don’t think I saw many games with Artie but certainly a magical player.

The opposition player I rated most highly was Ray Price, tough as old leather, who took a crap-load of punishment especially in the 1977 (Bath Babes) Grand Final when the plan was obviously to smash Price into submission with rocket Rod the main aggressor. The plane worked, but it took a replay to win.

As young teenagers, a few mates and I used to catch the train from Eastwood to Carlton, most Sundays during the 70’s, to watch the three grades. Unlike some posters, who have magnificent memories of old games, I can only recall a few. The fondest being Ray Price, not sure the year.

The game was Dragon’s V Parra @ Kogarah and was during the “Phantom Biter” era, rumored to be Rod Reddy. We were on the front bench seats and had a clear view of Ray Price being tackled close to the side-line. Multiple Dragons came over the top with stiff elbows, then one Dragon shoved Price’s head into the ground. Price was looking directly at us when he opened his mouth and clamped down on his own arm. He displayed the bite to the referee and received the penalty.

I was outraged, at first, but pretty much started laughing shortly after and still chuckle about it today.

One tough hombre!
Just for accuracy, the bashing of Price was in the replay and was a reaction to Mark Shulman getting a bad lot of knees in the back in the first GF. Ironically, I think it was actually Ray Higgs that did the dastardly act.

Gareth67

First Grade
Just for accuracy, the bashing of Price was in the replay and was a reaction to Mark Shulman getting a bad lot of knees in the back in the first GF. Ironically, I think it was actually Ray Higgs that did the dastardly act.
I recall big bad Barry Beath getting the ball immediately after the incident took place and threw it Higg’s head .

After hitting Higgs on his big noggin the bluudy thing bounced a mile , almost hitting Beath on the rebound . 😂

Last edited:
Also there also was a different incident where Jimmy Porter threw a cheeky punch to the side of the head of Lord Ted and busted his lip.
So yes, plus the Shulman cheap shot lead to Harry Bath giving free reign for Rocket Reddy to rip and tear the Parramatta forwards as he pleased.
Cannot remember if Reddy ended up with 4 or 5 cautions in the match.

I wanted to add this as had a big bearing on our Golden Era.

Back in 2016 the Club officially announced their ‘Team of the ELEVEN GOLDEN YEARS Era" which spanned from 1956 to 1966. Some 42 players took part in the 11 grand finals, scoring a dominant 205 points to 63 – conceding a mere five registered tries.

The St George Dragons conquered all who opposed them during the era
leaving behind for posterity a series of extraordinary records: 222 first-grade games were played for 183 wins, five draws and 34 losses.
The Dragons fielded 85 players during this remarkable era with each contributing to the 1,039 tries and 996 goals for 5,109 points.

‘Team of the ELEVEN GOLDEN YEARS ERA" or as the selection panel called it , the ‘Never Before, Never Again Team Of The Era:

Fullback: Graeme Langlands
Wing: Eddie Lumsden
Centre: Reg Gasnier
Centre: Billy Smith
Wing: Johnny King
Five-Eighth: Brian Clay
Halfback: Bobby Bugden
Prop: Kevin Ryan
Hooker: Ken Kearney
Prop: Billy Wilson
Second-Row: Harry Bath
Second-Row: Norm Provan
Lock: John Raper

Interchange
Ian Walsh
Monty Porter
Elton Rasmussen
Brian Graham

18th Man
George Evans

Bobby Bugden must have been some half back if he is rated ahead of Billy Smith, who for mine played his best footy as a half in combination with the great Johnny Raper. 'Chook' was so versatile that he played in offense as a one of the best ever ball playing inside backs and in defense as one of the games best cover defending locks. The Raper/ Smith combo probably inspired a generation of Dragons while the golden dynasty inspired a life time of passionate Saints supporters.

Last edited:

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I wanted to add this as had a big bearing on our Golden Era.

Back in 2016 the Club officially announced their ‘Team of the ELEVEN GOLDEN YEARS Era" which spanned from 1956 to 1966. Some 42 players took part in the 11 grand finals, scoring a 205 points to 63 – conceding only five registered tries.

The St George Dragons conquered all who opposed them during the era
leaving behind for posterity a series of extraordinary records: 222 first-grade games were played for 183 wins, five draws and 34 losses.
The Dragons fielded 85 players during this remarkable era with each contributing to the 1,039 tries and 996 goals for 5,109 points.

‘Team of the ELEVEN GOLDEN YEARS ERA" or as the selection panel called it , the ‘Never Before, Never Again Team Of The Era:

Fullback: Graeme Langlands
Wing: Eddie Lumsden
Centre: Reg Gasnier
Centre: Billy Smith
Wing: Johnny King
Five-Eighth: Brian Clay
Halfback: Bobby Bugden
Prop: Kevin Ryan
Hooker: Ken Kearney
Prop: Billy Wilson
Second-Row: Harry Bath
Second-Row: Norm Provan
Lock: John Raper

Interchange
Ian Walsh
Monty Porter
Elton Rasmussen
Brian Graham

18th Man
George Evans

Bobby Bugden must have been some half back if he is rated ahead of Billy Smith, who for mine played his best footy as a half in combination with the great Johnny Raper. 'Chook' was so versatile that he played in offense as a one of the best ever ball playing 5/8s and in defense as one of the games best cover defending locks.
What I would give for that team, with players in their prime, to run out for the Big Red V now! Of course it would require a salary sombrero similar to the current Roosters, but Frank Facer could manage it!

but Frank Facer could manage it!
'Fearless' could manage anything. He is renowned as the chief architect of the Dragons 11 straight premierships by securing the best players of the day to the Saints roster from 1956 to 1966 . Facer was a great administrator and mentor till his death in 1978, a man who earned the respect of every player . If only we had someone today in the Fearless mold to be club head honcho.

Last edited: