What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elite 1 French Championship 2023/2024

astreizix

Juniors
R11 results

In the top of the table showdown, victory for Albi who won at the Albert Domec stadium against a Carcassonne team undefeated at home since May 8, 2021. These 2 teams are now favorites for the race for the championship title

Some highlights:

astreizix

Juniors
Due to next Dragons Catalans warm up game (February 3), round 12 will be split up.

This Sunday only an advanced game:
St-Gaudens v St-Estève XIII Catalan (Dragons reserved team)

Coastbloke

Bench
I was watching the above videos posted by Astreizix, and I’ve got to say it saddens me to see hardly any crowds at the games..

Getting fed up with the FRL always talking about vision, but never coming to fruition. Anyone worried the game will just fizzle out there?

Something seriously needs to be done..

astreizix

Juniors
I was watching the above videos posted by Astreizix, and I’ve got to say it saddens me to see hardly any crowds at the games..

Getting fed up with the FRL always talking about vision, but never coming to fruition. Anyone worried the game will just fizzle out there?

Something seriously needs to be done..
As i wrote on another post, (it's hard for me to say that) RL is almost dead in France. Rugby à XIII has left the collective unconscious of the French public and short of a miracle I don't see how to get out of the infernal spiral in which we find ourselves.

astreizix

Juniors
This Sunday only one advanced game from R17, but it's The Game, big clash and big derby between both town only seperate by 22k km, last season finalists, Limoux vs Carcassonne

Live stream

Last edited:

astreizix

Juniors
Last round results and highlights

On a dusty ground, the leader Carcassonne beat the Dragon's reserve team while 150 km further, on a muddy ground albi beat Limoux with a soccer score 4-0

taste2taste

Juniors
Hey @astreizix has there been any discussion of the Elite 1 going fully professional ?

I read quotes from the head of French League saying they were hoping to go professional after the 2025 World Cup, now that it's been cancelled I'm thinking Elite 1 being professional has also been cancelled or delayed ?

astreizix

Juniors
Hey @astreizix has there been any discussion of the Elite 1 going fully professional ?

I read quotes from the head of French League saying they were hoping to go professional after the 2025 World Cup, now that it's been cancelled I'm thinking Elite 1 being professional has also been cancelled or delayed ?
French rugby league lacks everything, lack of players, lack of a young generation of players, lack of hands. lack of managers, lack of administrative staff, lack of referees, lack of media relay, lack of money, lack of international competition (essential to exist in France in the very broad sporting panorama in our country).

And to add to all this, Union and Seven, whether we like it or not, competitive with our sport, has taken such a lead and is now light years ahead of us.

So barring a miracle or an Emirati who falls in love with our code and decides to invest in France (I'm not counting on the NRL to do it :smile:) the road is still very, very long before we have a fully professional competition

taste2taste

Juniors
French rugby league lacks everything, lack of players, lack of a young generation of players, lack of hands. lack of managers, lack of administrative staff, lack of referees, lack of media relay, lack of money, lack of international competition (essential to exist in France in the very broad sporting panorama in our country).

And to add to all this, Union and Seven, whether we like it or not, competitive with our sport, has taken such a lead and is now light years ahead of us.

So barring a miracle or an Emirati who falls in love with our code and decides to invest in France (I'm not counting on the NRL to do it :smile:) the road is still very, very long before we have a fully professional competition
League has never had any luck in France, the game being banned and then a few decades later not having the foresight to accept a TV deal.

I understand Catalan games are on free to air TV in France this season ? Any idea how many people are watching?

After cancelling the 25 World Cup the French government said they would help league become stronger ? Do you know what they plan to do ?

Last edited:

astreizix

Juniors
League has never had any luck in France, the game being banned and then a few decades later not having the foresight to accept a TV deal.
Yes you point out the 2 main causes which for me are the reasons for the current state of League here, Vichy's decision is and remains a big handicap, the turning point of television in the 60s miss by french federation is our bigest mistake
I understand Catalan games are on free to air TV in France this season ? Any idea how many people are watching?
i don't know the tv ratings, but if it's on free to air, it's not on a big channel, it's mainly an internet channel and you must be very lucky to find it
After cancelling the 25 World Cup the French government said they would help league become stronger ? Do you know what they plan to do ?
"Promises make children happy" we tell in France and most politicians don't even know Rugby League or are Union fans