What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elliott getting cranky

Micistm

Bench
An earful? Long has got to be kidding - if that's an earful, then most 1st year apprentices have had WW3 declared on them by the end of their first week on site!
There seems to be a new breed of (sports) journalists in NZ with no nous, nose or nuts, especially in regards to RL journalism - they're either up the backside of the Warriors and the NZRL, or are generic sport journo's with limited knowledge of RL, writing filler bollocks.

Elliot has inherited a squad with some frightening attitude and commitment issues, I don't envy the bloke.

And that is also a fair point. IMO Elliot was unwise to snap and get a bit grumpy at a media journo, they could backlash and make life very unpleasant for him when he's under a lot of pressure already.
That said- Kent Johns on Radio sport yesterday was arguing Elliot was out of line etc, suggesting he was bullying and picking on a poor Journo. That to me is the media being overprecious and over sensitive. Respect and courtesy goes both ways, and both sides need to pull their heads in at times IMO

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Couldn't agree more. Last nights game between the Chiefs and Crusaders was epic. Crusaders were hammering the line for 10 minutes and couldn't get through. Defense in rugby is so much more tiring and mentally fatiguing that the Warriors should be made to try it for a while. Try tackling for 25 phases and you'll quickly separate the men from the boys.

I couldn't agree with you about defence in rugby being more tiring. That 10min phase being talked about last night, was mostly the forwards picking the ball up and diving to ground to make another 30cm. Look at the tackle counts after a game of rugby and 20 is a huge count, a lot of the league boys are making that many per half and don't get to stop of 5mins while they try and complete a scrum and then walk to a line out

Personally I found Rugby fairly easy defensively when I playing number 8, played front row in league a few years back and I was half dead after 10mins lol

Micistm

Bench
Lol, Super rugby games at half time..."Wow, he's been a tackling demon out there, making six in this half!"

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I can remember watching the Daily Show a few years back and John Stewart compared the journos in the US to kittens. Dangle some shiny car-keys in front of them and they won't be able to focus on anything else. Wouldn't be surprised if Elliot's "grumpiness" is a ploy along those lines - i.e. a ploy to direct media attention away from the players and onto him. He probably knows that sports journalism is no different to any other form of journalism. Give the journos a bit of sensationalism and that's all they'll focus on. The times that I've had the misfortune of hearing Mark Watson on Radiosport over this season, he's always been purely and singularly obsessed with Elliot's "demeanor" after Elliot called him out in a press conference. The Warriors are just a springboard for him to use to bash Elliot's character.

Micistm

Bench
I can remember watching the Daily Show a few years back and John Stewart compared the journos in the US to kittens. Dangle some shiny car-keys in front of them and they won't be able to focus on anything else. Wouldn't be surprised if Elliot's "grumpiness" is a ploy along those lines - i.e. a ploy to direct media attention away from the players and onto him. He probably knows that sports journalism is no different to any other form of journalism. Give the journos a bit of sensationalism and that's all they'll focus on. The times that I've had the misfortune of hearing Mark Watson on Radiosport over this season, he's always been purely and singularly obsessed with Elliot's "demeanor" after Elliot called him out in a press conference. The Warriors are just a springboard for him to use to bash Elliot's character.

Lol,Watto's a nutjob. Last week he wanted the Warriors sent to the SAS...unsure if that was for boot camp or he wanted them shot. But then off he went on his tangent about endurance training...his beloved endurance sport will fix the Warriors defence, and his fave target, the Black Cap batting woes.
I remember when actor Sean Austin was here for the Lord of the Rings movies, and he went into sports on an interview. Being a sport fan he'd got into some of ours, but thought we as a country- both fans and media- were incredibly hard on our sporting people. He does have a fair point. We are emotive and passionate, and very kneejerk to losses and especially floggings that happen from time to time.

Penrose11

Juniors
Interesting to see what Watson and Glenns reaction if there's another loss today where the players again show no ticker. Elliott will certainly be cranky them. Bell and Scarrugh will surely start feeling the bite as well if they aren't already. A poor crowd won't help either. I won't be spending my $100 odd dollars at mt smart today. I think it'll be a mysky job in the warmth of my own home sad to say.

Latest posts