What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

emerging nations world cup still going ahead???

knights 2004

Juniors
i know the league WC has been put on hold whil they try the tri series thing for 3 years. but does anyone know if they are still planning the emerging nations world cup in South Africa???
they better be, its vital for the developement of the international game

Misanthrope

Staff member
Even just sending W.A. would be a positive step. They absolutely dominate the other emerging states, and I think they pushed Queensland this year? (Not sure, as I never heard much about the game).

Chris

In-goal

Bench
yeah even W.A. would be a good start, maybe that would attract a bit more media to RL in the West.

mono_mal

Juniors
whilst this comp is a good idea i cannot see how it would be financially viable when the rlif claim they cannot hold another 16 team tournament after the 2000 comp made a huge loss with a devastating impact upon our game.
the world sevens also only just breaks even and this is for a 2 day tournament played in front of 50 000 people.

dimitri

First Grade
the world sevens got very little sponsorship, was played at AUSSIE stadium and only over 2 days

A WORLD CUP IN AUSTRALIA WOULD WORK EVEN WITH 16 teams if done properly

1st - sponsorship is a key, the RUWC has done this very effectively with VISA HENIEKEN etc etc

2nd - PLAY games where we know they will get crowds

eg Australia should be playign in perth, adelaide and melbourne
NZ - sydney
Greece, Italy etc Melbourne/kogarah/leichardt
Lebanon - belmore
minnow nations in country areas which are cheaper to hire out and will likely sell out anyway eg gosford, wollongong etc etc

3rd - MARKET AND SELL TICKETS WELL IN ADVANCE
peopl ewere able to buy RUWC tickets well in advance of the actuall world cup almost 2 years in advance i think

this is what we need to do

and none of these things were done for the world cup in GB and FRANCE

if we get these all right

a 16 team world cup in sydney would definitely work

Misanthrope

Staff member
dimitri said:
the world sevens got very little sponsorship, was played at AUSSIE stadium and only over 2 days

A WORLD CUP IN AUSTRALIA WOULD WORK EVEN WITH 16 teams if done properly

1st - sponsorship is a key, the RUWC has done this very effectively with VISA HENIEKEN etc etc

2nd - PLAY games where we know they will get crowds

eg Australia should be playign in perth, adelaide and melbourne
NZ - sydney
Greece, Italy etc Melbourne/kogarah/leichardt
Lebanon - belmore
minnow nations in country areas which are cheaper to hire out and will likely sell out anyway eg gosford, wollongong etc etc

3rd - MARKET AND SELL TICKETS WELL IN ADVANCE
peopl ewere able to buy RUWC tickets well in advance of the actuall world cup almost 2 years in advance i think

this is what we need to do

and none of these things were done for the world cup in GB and FRANCE

if we get these all right

a 16 team world cup in sydney would definitely work

All good points. The World Sevens didn't even get decent TV coverage. For those of us stuck out of driving distance to Sydney, it was a shoddy high-lights package. Decent TV coverage would mean ratings, and that'd mean better sponsorship in the long run.

All of your other points are good, and I've been pushing for the 'play games where they'll draw crowds' thing for ages. Australia's multiculturalism should be used to our advantage. Get teams to play where the crowds want to see them. It may also be a good idea to let New Zealand play some games over there (not to mention the Island nations), and PNG to play one or two of theirs up there.

Sure, it wouldn't be an Australian WC then- but it'd definately bring in crowds.

Chris

knights 2004

Juniors
it doesnt have to be a money spinner, just a comp to develop emerging nations. even if they play all the WC games at the 1 stadium. its all about getting those nations better. and im sure some ppl would pay to go to a quad triple header at one stadium......

hgfds

Juniors
A emerging tourn for sa has never been officially announced , probably an idea they where trying to implement, lately they seem to be trying to get junior teams from surrounding countries in an attempt to break their isolation.apparently an rlif meeting next month and sa png pi will be asking for something from the rlif ,what they get wll depend on the new tv deal and the tri nations in the uk .South africa,png & japan should be having at least one international a year.

Razor

Coach
Stevo_G said:
a ewc would lose alot of money wouldn't it

Cheaper to run.

1. The lower teams don't demand 5-star accomodation
2. They need less security
3. Smaller grounds
4. Less prizemoney