What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End nears for suburban NRL grounds

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like I said before I agree! A smaller Hunter Stadium is the ideal imo for suburban grounds. Shark Park needs two new main stands, a capacity of 25k, the South stand is fine and the hill can remain. Main issue is the lack of decent priced undercovering seating. When we have been we have paid $40 each and ended up in that middle tier of the Leagues club stand where there is no protection from the rain or the freezing wind blowing off the water.Also the food and drinks facilities weren't great, missed 15mins of the second half trying to get a hot drink and that was with a crowd of 12k there.

I see in the proposal there is a 3d image of the ground with the west stand rebuilt full length of pitch and extensions on the East side (Leagues club stand). That would certainly be a big improvement for the immediate future. Are these plans def happening?

art-cronulla-420x0.jpg

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
A sub 10k crowd is gonna look a lot worse at a big all seater than a half full suburban ground.

And on finch, I went to BELLE VUE at Wakefield this year. That ground is an absolute dump. 20 times worse than brookvale. Worse than Henson park. Nothin in the NRL like that.

So you're wrong, again.

again not suggesting ANZ, and surely the idea is not to have sub 10k crowds? Lets be honest they happen most at suburban grounds when the weather is poor. Despite being easier to get to it seems fans don't want to sit/stand in the rain with no cover regardless of how close the stadium is to their front door.

re Belle Vue, planning is under way to replace with a new stadium, as is Castleford, HKR are in the process of building a new Sth stand and have plans for a new Nth stand and final extension of East stand, everyone else is playing in decent grounds in SL, fit for their purpose, other than Bradford but Odsal is like Brookie too expensive to do up and no sight of replacement stadium money any time soon.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
sub 30k crowds look dreadful at ANZ, that is why it shouldn't be part of the long term strategy. Better KO times that suit individual clubs best, 2-3 major stadia of 30-40k plus all seater undercover, 20-30k stadiums with a min 75% undercover seating for outer clubs where financially feasible and, match of the round each week at SFS hyped to hell with an aim of min 30k, one home game for each club to be taken on the road to cities that can draw 20k+, that would be my 25 year strategy.

franklin2323

Immortal
If clubs want to play at small suburban grounds with fans standing on hills then go ahead but those games should not be seen on FTA TV.

At Centrebet. For the same price as the hill you can sit in all bar 5 of the terrace bays (6 next year). So why do you get people on the hills?

At Parra you get a few hundred standing under the screen with beer in hand. Again they paid for a seat why aren't they using it?

firechild

First Grade
Crowd in the image above is SFS, not ANZ. Fact is, unless the state government want to build at least 3 25-30k all seaters in Sydney (which would cost far more than upgrading the existing grounds) then there is no other solution except to play the majority of games in the soulless stadium at homebush or the SFS and this is simply not a useful option for the clubs that this idea is aimed at.

Stagger Lee

Bench
looking at a hill on tv is such a pain....

nrl-stgeorge-dragons-vs-manly-20100912-04.jpg

and everyone in the pic is thinking .... f**k I wish I was at the ANZ instead of here .....NOT!

applesauce

Bench
At Centrebet. For the same price as the hill you can sit in all bar 5 of the terrace bays (6 next year). So why do you get people on the hills?

At Parra you get a few hundred standing under the screen with beer in hand. Again they paid for a seat why aren't they using it?

Because they are dirty bogans.

Every ground should have a standing room only section. Some just prefer it. I stood every game at the back of the hill at WIN til i got season tickets in the top teir of the new stand

carcharias

Immortal
Wonder if that has more to do with price difference? Been to sharks stadium 3 times and each time there was sub 12k there and hardly anyone on the hill, probably due to the fact it was freezing.

Anz is sadly a big part of the problem of a centralised stadium strategy. Don't think anyone would argue it is a great ground for club games from an atmosphere point of view or look on tv. IMO the arlc should remove anz from any stadium strategy and have a long term plan for a decent 35k stadium somewhere. Sfs is a decent place for big games or well supported clubs but anz should be removed from any club strategy and a shared stadium suitable for two or three tenants built.

What games did you watch at shark park ... When?

yadamisha

Juniors
I see in the proposal there is a 3d image of the ground with the west stand rebuilt full length of pitch and extensions on the East side (Leagues club stand). That would certainly be a big improvement for the immediate future. Are these plans def happening?

art-cronulla-420x0.jpg

Yes, all approved - the ground improvements are 'Stage 3' of the development, but not necessarily to all be done at the end, some parts may be done in the other stages. Finer details are being worked on now. Turn soil is due Sep 13.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, all approved - the ground improvements are 'Stage 3' of the development, but not necessarily to all be done at the end, some parts may be done in the other stages. Finer details are being worked on now. Turn soil is due Sep 13.

Excellent, will they demolish the existing stand to build that length of the field one? Can't find any proposed images looking front on at it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What games did you watch at shark park ... When?

First visit was to see them v Warriors in 2008 then the the Titans about 3 seasons ago dragged the wife with me, nearly froze and she swore she'd never go back, managed to convince her otherwise last time we were in Sydney last season and we went to watch them play Storm. Whenever I am in Sydney I try to get to every game being played that weekend, being devoid of top flight RL will do that for you!

Latest posts