What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End the video referee ruling over on field incidents immediately

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I dont often get really worked up about on field issues but the video referee coming in and changing or making decisions just has to stop immediately. The joke of a call to penalise brett stewart and put him on report because koribete fell into his arm tonight was the last straw for me. Its also being used by players to lie down and milk penalities which is a disgrace in itself.

Sadly we have a referees boss and corporate management obsessed with the "process" instead of making common sense decisions for what is a simple game. Just get back to basics and referee to the rule book instead of the annual list of changing interpretations that they enforce on a whim each week.

Bring in a rule that if a player lies down he must leave the field and not return in the same way players who fall over concussed do. That will sort them out.

Danish

Referee
Cats laying down for penalties is about the worst thing in the game right now, and the refs simply let them get away with it all the time.

All they need to do is make a rule so that if a player is incapable of getting up to play the ball and requires time to be stopped, they need to leave the field for a set time to be assessed. Alternatively, you could simply have the dummy half take the ball and play it next to him instead like they used to.

Rewarding diving goes completely against the whole notion of toughness in our game

mave

Coach
Brett Stewart was rightfully penailsed for his blatant elbow.
He has been doing it for years

Stagger Lee

Bench
Bring in a rule that if a player lies down he must leave the field and not return in the same way players who fall over concussed do. That will sort them out.

So if a player lies down because he has been chicken winged (no head injury) he must leave the field and not return?

If a small halfback gets winded in a late tackle by a 125kg forward after a kick and can't get up (no head injury) he has to leave the field?

I think the first rule that should be brought in is a 2 month ban from our moderators for stupid posts like yours :p

Come on E.C.T. you are a better poster than that.

Well they need to do something about the cheating motherf**kers who are ruining game after game and making the sport a bigger farce than it already is. And the fact that merkins on here don't seem to mind is a greater test of stupidity than any other.

Jason Maher

Immortal
This has been going on since I started watching the game in the late 80s, and I suspect long before then. It is nothing new.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So if a player lies down because he has been chicken winged (no head injury) he must leave the field and not return?

I think the first rule that should be brought in is a 2 month ban from our moderators for stupid posts like yours :p

Come on E.C.T. you are a better poster than that.

Well, in practice the vast majority of 'dives' are people claiming a high tackle (rarely, if ever, a chicken wing, etc. is called by the video ref; let alone wrongly called). So it would be fine to exclude people lying on the ground clutching an arm/knee/ etc.

If it was specifically people that dive as if they have just taken a head knock, they could reasonably be placed under the same banner as a person genuinely concussed. Itd prettty quickly root out the divers as most of them are them most competitive blokes on the team....

Danish

Referee
Look at the extensive selections of dives in the Parra Brisbane game. There has been someone lying down every 15 mins. It is an embarrassment.

How can fans of these clubs full of divers stomach watching such pathetic behaviour from their teams?

Slackboy72

Coach
You know the VR didn't rule the Napa high shot don't you?
And you did see the front on shot that shows first contact was Napa's shoulder on Aitken's head right?
Right?

Oh you didn't? Well then maybe you should have a cry about it and start a thread on an internet forum that makes you look like a goose.

Danish

Referee
Another diving cat scored a try for parra, copped a slap across the forehead after stepping a defender on the way to the line then lays down after scoring trying to get an 8 pointer.

Seriously it never ends

Canard

Immortal
I'd say the majority of fans agree that diving is a blight on the game.

The problem is that it's purely subjective as to what is a dive and what isn't.

I've seen guys almost get decapitated and opposition fans calling it a dive.

Unless someone does a soccer dive without getting touched, you can't truly judge the severity of the contact

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It all evens out. It's just today that two threads have been started by sooking Roosters fans. Next week, it could be anyone. Not Warriors fans, we accept our shitness outweighs any other factor.

nrlnrl

First Grade
This has been going on since I started watching the game in the late 80s, and I suspect long before then. It is nothing new.

Exactly, people these days seem to over react about things that happen & forget they happened in the past. e.g. - that the worst decision ever or that was the best try ever

Danish

Referee
I'd say the majority of fans agree that diving is a blight on the game.

The problem is that it's purely subjective as to what is a dive and what isn't.

I've seen guys almost get decapitated and opposition fans calling it a dive.

Unless someone does a soccer dive without getting touched, you can't truly judge the severity of the contact

Besides when peolpe are actually concussed and leave the field, they are ALL dives.

You want proof? Watch any roosters game. Robbo, to the detriment of the team under the stupid rules we play under, instructs our players to never lay down. And miraculously we never have players stay down with "genuine" head knocks. the only time one of our players doesn't get up is when they have injured something.

If we simply introduce rules assuming anyone who cannot regain their feet after a certain amount of time has to go off and be assessed, we'll be set. If its an ankle or leg or something, they get assessed by an independent doc and go back on. If they are grabbing at their head claiming a head knock, they do the concussion test and can go back on if they pass. A second claimed head knock in a game and they are gone for the rest of the night, no ifs ands or buts. Go off twice in a season and you get a mandatory 2-3 weeks on the sidelines. 3 times in a season and you sit out the year.

The amount of players staying down will drop to practically zero over night. Most concussions in our sport happen in defence anyway with players getting their heads in the wrong spot. I reckon 95% of players who stay down from a head knock while in possession are just playing for a penalty.

txta2

Bench
Video refs randomly over ruling on field decisions just pisses me off. It is unfair when it happens because there is a break in play.