What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England,Ireland,Scotland and Wales

elBandido

Juniors
I seem to remember an announcement a year or so ago that they were going as seperate nations.

With the World Cup(alledgedly)happening in just over two years and the nations(apparently)competing as four different nations,if this is the case shouldn't they be competing seperately now?

England in the tri-nations,I know they would be slightly weakened from GB but it would help push the England RL brand to the public and allow them to build their squad without relying on certain GB players that they would be missing.

I really think the main benefit would be for Ireland,Scotland and Wales in the Euro nations.At present the fact that they are not full national sides takes away creditability from the comp IMO and thrown together last minute squads will not perform as well in the World Cup, the main focus must be to build support for these nations prior to the World Cup not expect people from these countries to suddenly decide to watch RL just because we put on a World Cup.

Brian Carney is a great character,born and bred Dubliner with excellent media awareness and enthusiasm for the game.His presence as Irish captain would get column inches and help develop the game over there.Iestyn Harris is very well known in Wales,I'm not sure how popular he is but his presence would be written about.It would give these sides time to gel and progress.

It would also toughen up the Euro nations which would be a good benefit for getting the lesser nations prepared to take on the big three in the World Cup.

carlnz

Bench
I agree is some parts, I think Great Britain should only play like this when they do a toru to NZ and Aus.

Ireland, Wales and Scotland need more games againts different teams and they NEED to tour. Give kids in those nations something to aim or play league for.

Latest posts