What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England target the World Cup

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24501494-5003409,00.html

England target the World Cup

By Dean Ritchie | October 15, 2008 11:00pm

COCKY England - the nation Australia loves to hate - has become the first team to publicly declare they are here to steal our cherished World Cup.

The 24-man England squad arrived on the Gold Coast yesterday to prepare for the tournament's first match - against PNG in Townsville on October 24.

England's bravado comes as French and former Parramatta coach John Monie claimed the Poms should not be under-rated or under-estimated to win the Cup.

England have chosen a powerful side which includes Wests Tigers-bound Gareth Ellis, Martin Gleeson, Danny McGuire, Adrian Morley, Jamie Peacock, Leon Pryce, Keith Senior and Paul Wellens.

England, or Great Britain, as they participated then, last won the World Cup back in 1972 - Australia winning all six World Cups since.

Pommy forward Rob Purdham said his entire squad was ready to fight for starting positions. "That's a battle that starts in Australia,'' he said.

"We are all one squad out there and are all striving for the same thing, to win the World Cup. If I push someone else they are going to improve their game, if I get in someone is going to be pushing me all the way, and that's going to make the whole squad better.''

Kangaroos forward Craig Fitzgibbon said: "I'm sure England will be coming out here meaning business.''

England coach Tony Smith spoke about his side's stellar preparation. "I'm sure that come our first game we're going to be ready,'' Australian-born Smith said.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Monie spoke highly about the English squad. "England has named a very strong squad,'' he said. "The English Super League has been getting better each year, which means there is plenty of competition for spots in the Test side.

"They've got depth in the forwards and speed in the halves and out of dummy-half. We held them to 18-14 at halftime but they hammered us in the second half.''

Monie promised his French side would be "competitive'' despite having 12 players from the local French competition - most of the remainder were chosen from Catalans.

"If I said the standard of the local French competition was Queensland Cup I'd probably be lying,'' Monie said. "It's not that good, and they had their Grand Final back in May. But we'll be competitive. We struggle against the nations with plenty of NRL players but we'll take it as it comes. We will have a tough forward pack - we'll have a dig.''

Monie also warned: "You never know about the Kiwis either. Wayne (Bennett, assistant coach) has gone there and (head coach) Steve Kearney was a tough, uncompromising player who will give them a lot of character.''

ali

Bench
Good to see a fairly positive article from Dean Richie. I suppose it's typical tele though, build them up so they can be shot down as soon as they stumble.

For mine England will go well, unless they get hit around by injuries.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
I honestly think Englands biggest match is against PNG. Being their first match (as most didnt play against Wales) i expect them to be a little rusty and in that heat against a battle harden team who plays in that type of heat...tough match for them.

dubby

Bench
Geez I'd laugh if PNG won.

My brother lives in T'Ville and he informs me that they expect a crowd of 20k for the game, with 99% of locals going for PNG!

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Geez I'd laugh if PNG won.

My brother lives in T'Ville and he informs me that they expect a crowd of 20k for the game, with 99% of locals going for PNG!

I for one would be disowning the North if this wasn't the case :lol:

Would be good if they could get 20k+

roopy

Referee
Gidley, Peden back Poms to impress in World Cup
BY BRETT KEEBLE

ROVING Novocastrian ambassadors Matt Gidley and Bill Peden are convinced England pose the biggest threat to Australia at the Rugby Leaue World Cup, provided the Brits believe in themselves.

The long-time friends and former teammates, who combined to play more than 400 first-grade games for the Knights, are back home for an off-season break visiting families and friends after plying their trade in England's Super League for the past two years.

Since leaving the Knights at the end of 2006, 31-year-old Gidley has made 65 appearances for St Helens in the past two seasons and featured prominently in their back-to-back Challenge Cup final victories and Super League dominance.

The sweet-stepping centre initially signed a two-year deal with Saints but has agreed to a one-year extension and will return next month to start pre-season training for 2009.

Peden, who played for London Broncos in 2003, returned in October 2006 when they became known as Harlequins. He has just completed his second season as strength and conditioning coach.

Seven of Gidley's St Helens teammates and another seven from arch rivals Leeds form the nucleus of England's touring party.

He hopes they play with the same swagger they demonstrate each week.

"I play with them week-in week-out and I know what they're capable of. I just hope they come over here and play with the same confidence that I see them play with on a week-to-week basis," said Gidley, who scored a try in Australia's 40-12 victory over New Zealand in the 2000 World Cup final.

"They're all smart footy guys and if they can come out here in a good frame of mind, play well in their first game and get their confidence up, if [coach] Tony Smith can get them to really believe in themselves that they can compete, then I think they can do really well, the English boys."

Peden said poor preparations had been the downfall of England and Great Britain on recent tours Down Under, but he believed the World Cup gave them the chance to work on combinations, adjust to Australian conditions and hit their straps when it mattered.

"Having been in that Knights side that went over to play Bradford in the World Club Challenge in 2002, only being there for five days, anyone who has done that would realise how hard it is to prepare for a game," Peden said.

"The fact that they're here a little bit earlier and they're going to have quite a few games under their belt by the time the finals come around, they're going to be more ready.

"There's plenty of talent there and on their day they can push anyone, so it will be interesting to see how they aim up. Obviously I still think Australia will win, but I think the English lads will put it to them."

Newcastle league fans can see the Englishmen up close and personal when they play New Zealand at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Saturday, November 8.

Gidley nominated Saints teammates James Roby, James Graham and Leon Pryce as the three stand-outs in a strong, balanced squad.

Roby is a dynamic dummy-half who deputises for veteran Saints skipper Keiron Cunningham; Graham is a ball-playing front-rower who, like Roby, has won Super League's coveted Man of Steel award; and five-eighth Pryce is one of the English game's most elusive players.

"James Roby, especially, is the one to watch for the World Cup . . . and he's their number-one player," Gidley said.

"I still think Keiron is nearly the best player in the Super League, but Robes is just electric, tough as nails, fit as a fiddle and not much will faze him.

"He'll tackle all day, he's pretty strong mentally and he's just such a good young player.

"I'd love to see him come over and play in the NRL because I think he'd do really really well.

"They've also got James Graham, who's your typical English front-rower who can just go all day and is as tough as nails, and Leon Pryce on his day can pretty much do anything."

Peden said diminutive halves Danny McGuire and Rob Burrow, mobile forwards Jamie Peacock, Adrian Morley and Gareth Ellis, and experienced campaigners Keith Senior, Kevin Sinfield and Paul Wellens would be familiar to most Australians, but mentioned back-rowers Jon Wilkin and Ben Westwood as potential surprise packets.

The Harlequins' only representative in the English squad is utility Rob Purdham, who played alongside Peden at London five years ago.

"Probably the only thing he lacks is a bit of size, but he's a really good player. He has a lot of nous and a really good footy brain, and he's quite a good goal-kicker as well," Peden said.

Like Peden, Gidley is confident Australia will lift the World Cup after the November 22 final at Suncorp Stadium. Having played 11 Tests, and with younger brother Kurt now flying the family flag on the international stage, Matt will be watching proudly through green-and-gold eyes.

"I've let the Saints boys know that as well. As much as I enjoy playing with them on a week-to-week basis, they know where my heart lies," Gidley said. "Kurt's playing for Australia now and my loyalties will always be with him and my own country, so if the Aussie boys need any mail on England, I'll be more than happy to give it to them."

Link

cb4

First Grade
i put 100 on em when they were 8.50
good value for the tourney
kiwis at 6.50 aint bad either
n with the aussies growing injury toll its lookin more competitive now

Latest posts