What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England v France 2024 - 90th celebrations

Perth Red

Post Whore
England’s Men and Women will play France in Toulouse on Saturday 29 June, as the French Rugby League (FFR XIII) celebrates 90 years of the game in the republic.

England Women take on France at 3.30pm (local time), followed by the Men’s international at 6pm – and both matches will be streamed live from Stade Ernest-Wallon on Super League+, Rugby League’s global, direct-to-consumer streaming service.

Both the Men’s and Women’s teams defeated their French counterparts 64-0 in last year’s mid-season internationals at Warrington, though the scorelines were a little closer when the two sides last visited France in 2021 – the Men winning 30-10 in Perpignan and the Women 40-4.

With the French continuing to improve as they build towards the 2026 Rugby League World Cup, England’s teams can expect a tougher challenge this time around – something which will suit head coaches Shaun Wane and Stuart Barrow. Both coaches will announce their squads for the Toulouse trip during the week of the games.

RFL Chair, Simon Johnson, says: “Rugby League in France has a rich and proud history, and the Men’s international side first played England in Paris in 1934. I am delighted that our England sides have been invited be part of the 90thanniversary celebrations. Our thanks go to the FFR XIII for making this possible and we wish them well for the next 90 years.”

Rhodri Jones, RL Commercial Managing Director, adds: “I’m sure that there will be plenty of England supporters inside the Stade Ernest-Wallon to cheer on our Men and Women, and I’m thrilled that those supporters who can’t be there will be able to follow the action on Super League+. It’s a blank weekend in the 2024 fixture schedule, so Super League+ is the place to be for live Rugby League on Saturday 29 June.”

Toulouse Olympique's Betfred Championship match against Featherstone Rovers will also be played at Stade Ernest-Wallon on the same day, with a 9pm kick off.

France Under 19s will travel in the opposite direction just three days later to take on England Academy at Warrington’s Halliwell Jones Stadium on Tuesday 2 July (KO 7.30pm).

Perth Red

Post Whore
I really dont understand the logic of Toulouse playing same day? Surely thats taking some of the strength out of the French squad?

And sky not covering it on a weekend there is no SL games? Sigh.

England87

Juniors
Toulouse will probably have 3-5 players in the French side. Catalans has had an all French spine for a few games this year and will most likely stick to combinations that have been at a Super League standard.

England by 16 - 24 points for me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Toulouse will probably have 3-5 players in the French side. Catalans has had an all French spine for a few games this year and will most likely stick to combinations that have been at a Super League standard.

England by 16 - 24 points for me.
It'd be nice to see France make a game of it.

England87

Juniors
Just looking at other French players across Super League who could squeeze into the test team

Tison - Maybe

Miloudi - No chance, liability without the ball, UTC reserves & Toulouse players with more to offer.

Chan - Yes, a bench middle/edge

Salabio - Nope

Sangare - Bench middle

Goudemand - Yes has always been decent at test level

yakstorm

First Grade
And sky not covering it on a weekend there is no SL games? Sigh.
Sky's possibly saw the half hearted effort that is going into the match and decided not to bother.

Announcing the game a little more than 2 months before its set to take place & playing it as a curtain raiser to a Championship match is the most half-hearted effort the RFL has put into a Test to date.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sky's possibly saw the half hearted effort that is going into the match and decided not to bother.

Announcing the game a little more than 2 months before its set to take place & playing it as a curtain raiser to a Championship match is the most half-hearted effort the RFL has put into a Test to date.
Pretty sure FRL are responsible for this game not the RFL?

yakstorm

First Grade
Pretty sure FRL are responsible for this game not the RFL?
Fair call. RFL weren't the most accomodating though, with what the FFRXIII requesting for this event is very different than what is happening.

They originally wanted it in April, near to the anniversary date of the first Test 90 years go and also asked for TO not to be scheduled on the same weekend.

RFL pushed for the June date & didn't accommodate the fixture request.

FFRXIII wanted Paris as well originally, though personally think Toulouse is more likely to draw a crowd than Paris would.

England87

Juniors
The key to their development will always be Toulouse in Super League (with Catalan) for an extended period to increase there player pool at the highest level.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The key to their development will always be Toulouse in Super League (with Catalan) for an extended period to increase there player pool at the highest level.
And I would argue annual meaningful internationals for France to build a squad around.

Bring back the 4 Nations annually, throw France in with the Big 3 and persist until they improve.

And I would argue annual meaningful internationals for France to build a squad around.

Bring back the 4 Nations annually, throw France in with the Big 3 and persist until they improve.

Yes, I miss the 4 Nations
Personally I would prefer a six nations every two years including the top 5 ranked nations and the next best in the hemisphere its being hosted.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reality is France need to get 70-100 players into full time pro set up to have a chance of being competitive against the better nations.
id like to see a three match series v PNG in France to see where they really are at moment.

taste2taste

Juniors
Reality is France need to get 70-100 players into full time pro set up to have a chance of being competitive against the better nations.
id like to see a three match series v PNG in France to see where they really are at moment.
How many do France currently have ?

How many of the Catalans team is French ? I know there's a couple of French front rowers playing well for other super league clubs.

Coastbloke

Bench
The irony is that if the IRL held a 1 off Club Comp where 4 Clubs each from say 16 domestic competitions, the French would probably do pretty well.

Of course it would be an Australian v English club final, but I’d be interested in how Elite 1 would fare with NZ (Warriors are not a domestic club) and the Club comps in Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG and Cooks. Or Wales, Ireland and Serbia..

Brian potter

First Grade
PNG has left France behind and will continue to do use as more and more hunters players are snapped up by super league clubs, Queensland cup clubs and hopefully a few NRL clubs.

there’s also a few PNG born Australian raised kumuls and PNG heritage players coming through the junior age grade and reserve grade competitions that will be added to the PNG player pool.

Latest posts